The last round of updates have greatly, GREATLY enhanced Wyvern survivability and utility. Let's review:
-Spirit Link is now a 90 second recast and grants a potent Regen effect that lasts until Spirit Link is ready for reuse.
-Steady Wing grants a massive Stoneskin which is more potent the more HP is missing from the Wyvern.
-Empathy levels up the Wyvern, enhancing its Attack/Defense/Resistence and Breath Potency(Which adds a few hundred HP to Healing Breath IV!)
-Wyverns have an innate Damage Taken-40% trait now.
With this in mind, Wyverns are now truly durable and rarely die.
Now on to current problems and unaddressed issues.
1) Although the Wyvern is now extremely durable, the Dragoon is not. I frequently find in some events like Voidwatch or Legion that I am sometimes killed by a very strong AoE or hit by a very powerful attack that my Wyvern survives(it's HP isn't reduced to 0) but mine is thus resetting my Call Wyvern timer. I'm not saying make us invincible, the HP/Evade/Parry boost was a start, but DRG could really benefit from some kind of defensive stance or JA. Something along the lines of a Wyvern "Cover" or a 'Steady Wing' 'transfer' or a Fan-Dance like effect.
2) Our weaponskills and attack power are comparatively weak compared to SAM,DRK,WAR,RNG,MNK,PUP. A well geared DRG suffers on most endgame enemies not because Stardiver is a weak WS but because DRG has no native Attack Boosting job abilities or spells at it's disposal. The other 3 jobs that utilize a 2handed weapon (SAM/WAR/DRK) all either a)Are a SAM and thus can sub WAR. b) have an attack boosting ability such that they don't need /WAR and can sub /SAM. All 2handed jobs need /SAM sub due to Hasso/Third Eye and StoreTP/Sekkanoki/Meditate. SAM has these naturally so they can sub WAR. WAR and DRK have Berserk or Last Resort so they benefit highly from /SAM. DRG on the other hand must choose between all of /SAM's abilities or /WAR's Berserk.
I understand you do not want to overpower DRG since it has a Wyvern and DRK/SAM/WAR do not but consider the following. Against very strong NMs, the Wyvern is basically worthless. All it does is allow DRG to get heightened TP every few minutes from Jumps(which can still miss and only do 200-300 damage). Wyverns contribute almost no damage to any fight(Dealing 10-30 damage per hit and doing maybe 60-100 damage Breaths). Breath damage is extremely weak mostly due to the Wyvern rarely having Full HP(Breaths are HP based) and their accuracy. (Strafe is a joke and a waste of merits, nobody would spend merit points to have a small increased chance of their breaths doing full damage(like 200ish) against hard NMs.
So against hard NMs, Wyverns are pointless except for Spirit/Soul Jump. With that said, DRGs rely on their weapon skills against these foes and since we have such low attack compared to jobs like WAR and DRK our weapon skill damage suffers greatly. SAM needs less Attack than other 2handed jobs as well since their weapon skills naturally ignore defense or have attack modifiers(which aren't based on TP but are intrinsic special properties to some of Great Katana weapon skills). DRG is simply incapable of 'big damage' against these targets. On weak enemies like in Nyzul Isle where targets range from Decent Challenge and higher, DRG fares well because the enemies have low defense. But it's on these tough targets in Legion/VoidWatch that we lose out and can't contribute much.
1) Eliminate the policy of having -Attack% penalties on Polearm Weapon Skills. Penta Thrust and Drakesbane need their Attack Penalties removed entirely. Since DRG has such low attack power, -20% attack on Drakesbane is abysmally detrimental. Victory Smite has no Attack Penalty and neither does Stringing Pummel nor Raging Rush. The critical hit chance on Drakesbane is also very, very low compared to the former mentioned weapon skills(only 5% vs 15-30% on those other WS).
2) Spirit Link absorbs half of the TP from the Wyvern but whenever we WS the Wyvern's TP is reset to 0 and it makes this attribute of Spirit Link difficult to use in almost all situations unless we disengage after each WS.
2) When you guys have finally finished adding a way to expand the number of job abilities for each job past the cap of 12, add in some of these job abilities.
a) (Pet Command) - "Refrain"
Description: "Restricts breaths but increases attack speed and accuracy"
Note: This would disallow Wyverns to use any breaths when the Dragoon uses a spell/weapon skill or breath command. It would increase the Wyvern's attack speed and accuracy thus optimizing it's TP gain. For hard NM fights this would be more useful than having the wyvern use breaths as it would mean more TP gain for the DRG.
b) (Job Ability) "Fervor"
Description: "Increases Attack power while reducing Evasion." Attack power gradually decreases with each hit dealt."
Notes: This would be similar to Fan Dance in functionality. Upon using this ability, Attack would be boosted 50% for the first hit(or weapon skill) then fall by 5% each hit(or weapon skill) down to a floor of +15% attack where it will remain for the duration of the ability. Duration 3 minutes. The defense penalty of this ability would be set similar to Counterstance for balance.
c) (Job Ability) "Valiance"
Description: "Attacks are directed at your wyvern."
Note: Would function identically to "Cover" but would be for the Wyvern and only functions for the Dragoon. This would be good for situations where the Dragoon needs to 'tank' for a short duration during a crisis and can't mitigate damage(Super Jump would lower the DRG's enmity and thus would be unable to tank as the target's hate would shift towards other members). With Spirit Link/Steady Wing and various pieces of Damage Taken-% gear, the Wyvern could tank for 10-15 seconds while a tank is raised or if he is fighting a different target than the tank. Duration should be rather short or the recast should be rather long to compensate. I simply figured since SAM,MNK,WAR,DNC,DRK have received abilities to help the mitigate damage taken, DRG ought to as well. Healing Breath is nice for recovery but not for reducing damage, as a powerful spell or TP move can still kill a Dragoon from very high HP.
d) (2hour ability) Velocious Thrusts
Description: "Attacks ignore target's defense".
Note: For 30 seconds the Dragoon's attack value will not matter and will ignore 100% of the target's defense. This would allow dragoon to do massive damage(although most likely just comparable to a MNK using Hundred Fists or a Warrior with Ukonvasura using Mighty Strikes. This would fit with Dragoon's 'theme' of piercing defense (angon/Jump during spirit surge)/Gungnir/wheeling thrust/camlann's torment). This would also allow us to do considerable damage in an emergency like DRK with Souleater+Blood weapon or Mighty Strikes/Meikyo Sisui or Last Resort. Spirit Surge's haste is decent but the duration is too short, Last Resort has the SAME haste value as Spirit Surge but it lasts far longer and has a tremendously shorter recast compared to Spirit Surge.
Alternatively, another version of this Job Ability could be something like "Angon" where the Dragoon throws his main weapon instead of an Angon(only works with a polearm though). The effect of the job ability is a 30-60 second super version of Angon where defense is lowered by 50-75% which would help EVERYONE's damage rather than just the DRG.