Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    I would bet big chunks of money that this is complete bullshit. Sadly it's almost impossible to prove/disprove it. Would require lots if dedicated testing for something I'm pretty much sure is wrong, and I'm sure other people feel the same way. So unlikely it will ever get actually tested.
    I second this notion.

As for the CHR, THF has had fairly good CHR all along, and one of our primary WS is 30% CHR based (DE). It also has enmity properties (slower decay iirc?) which assists THF for tanking. CHR also possibly affects intimidation rates for Bully?
    (0)

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Komori View Post
    This might be a really noobish question but is the "fight on lightsday" or "Boost-CHR" rumor or fact? I remember being with a few mercenaries once and they believed fighting monsters on lightsday and boosting CHR also allowed you to get more TH procs overall and I know that Assassin's Armlets +2 have CHR+7? On them, is there perhaps any connection? Sorry, if it's already common knowledge or not but I wanted to know!
    I'll be more than happy to put it to the test on some turtle kills. My experience has always been TH9-11 without fail by the end so it shouldn't be terribly hard to give it a seal of approval if I start getting something like TH15 during lightsday and lots of CHR, on multiple kills. I'm much easier to please than the "must be over 9000!" crowd so I will feel perfectly comfortable deciding one way or another after like 5 kills or whatever.

It's a simple test, really. Not like it's drop rate testing. But I'll admit my chances of doing further tests after a poor first kill will go down the drain. If it's true I will fully expect to see the difference right off the bat. And if it doesn't impress me yet it's still true because it's just a small increase in procs then it doesn't really matter at that point because we won't have no way of knowing nor will we really care and would sooner stick with what we know than worry about yet another set of gear to carry around everywhere. So, if I see interesting results I'll report back. If I never report back it means the results I saw wasn't worth my time typing up a paragraph explaining how this theoryTHing tale is fail.
    (1)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Komori
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Didn't mean to make anyone angry, was just something I saw someone use the method once. Occassionally like on the Kings to try and sell it's drops etc.
    (0)

Character
    Nawesemo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Komori View Post
    Didn't mean to make anyone angry, was just something I saw someone use the method once. Occassionally like on the Kings to try and sell it's drops etc.
    you'd have thought the development team threatened to nerf their treasure hunter eh? >.> see what I did there?
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vold View Post
    I'm much easier to please than the "must be over 9000!" crowd so I will feel perfectly comfortable deciding one way or another after like 5 kills or whatever.
    There's no "over 9000 or else" crowd. It's just statistics. 5 kills means literally nothing. If you get 5/5 on a drop there's still a decent chance it's only a 50% drop. It's a fact that you need a high number of kills to accurately justify a claim, especially one such as that, because the probability to get a TH upgrade is already very low, so any modification to it will be small regardless of the effect.

Also, Assassin's Armlets had CHR on them long before the TH upgrades were implemented. It's extremely unlikely it's related to TH in any way.
    (3)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Not to mention CHR has been the base of countless Speculation, all of which was proven garbage. With that said, Would like to mention, CHR is thfs worst stat, Throwing that out there.

On top of all else, Don't believe most rumors you hear, As they're nothing more than how most Ancient Religions began. "The Sun goes across the sky, Must be being pulled by a Chariot!". When people are too dumb and stubborn to understand something, or its simply just out of their logical/intellectual grasp, They make up hocus pocus to try and explain it.

This is true even in FFXI, So the next time you hear someone tell you that you need to Mainhand THF's knife, or you have to see a proc for it to actually be on the mob, Or that CHR/Lightsday Effects rate without any proof other than "Shut Up I'm right"... Just feel pity, Cause they're probably incredibly stupid. Or at the very least, Logically impaired.

While typing this I'm realizing I'm drawing eerie parallels from another ageless Internet debate.
    (2)

Character
    Phraust
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Am I blind? Personally I cannot recall ever procing TH on either an offhand hit or a DA/TA/QA hit...

Before I go try to test it later, been to busy to Thief... anyone know off the top of thier heads? Even anecdotally is fine.

(And yeah, i will likely get an answer here before I get a chance to test it.)
    (0)
    If you don't understand why Haste is so important, or if you don't think it is:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/1847-Haste-and-You...-A-guide-to-the-misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    So the next time you hear someone tell you that you need to Mainhand THF's knife
    I main-hand thf's knife if I want higher TH on a mob, but not because it increases the chance to proc or anything, just because it's so gimp, TH has more chances to proc before mob dies from SA/TAs as you're not doing as much damage ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Am I blind? Personally I cannot recall ever procing TH on either an offhand hit or a DA/TA/QA hit...

Before I go try to test it later, been to busy to Thief... anyone know off the top of thier heads? Even anecdotally is fine.

(And yeah, i will likely get an answer here before I get a chance to test it.)
    1st hit of the attack round only. (I have no proof to back this up. I have never done any testing or parsing, but it is fact.)
    (1)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I actually tested this, the upgrade rate single wielding and dual wielding with a shitload of DA/TA/QA on is the same per round. So it can only upgrade once per attack round. And in dozens of tests it never happened on another hit, and it never happened when the first hit missed, so that's a fair assumption. Although my sample of missed first hits is not exceedingly high, but I also don't remember it ever happening outside of those tests, and I usually pay good attention to the log. So best way to upgrade TH quickly is to single-wield a Thief's Knife and have at it.

Oh, and current testing points towards delay not playing a role in the upgrade chance, although I only tested it in limited circumstances so far. I'll expand upon it and present the findings when I get the time, but I'm pretty sure delay is not a factor in it. And neither is damage dealt with the upgrading hit, in case anyone is wondering.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I lied about not reporting back with failure. TH11 during lightsday and +12 CHR. Didn't really go out of my way to stack the CHR but I don't feel compelled to bother any further with the lightsday/chr theory.

For the record, I did not bother using feint to taint my outcome because I have never killed the turtle post feint changes. With that said, I also for the first time tried out full timing TH gear which pretty much nullifies my reasons for not using feint but eh I was after at least a red pondweed drop for my trouble. That didn't increase my usual TH effectiveness on turtle, either. Maybe I should kill a few more times just to be sure but ya know what... I'm just getting too damn old to care. Take what I've done for what it's worth. Even just one kill with failure is enough for me to move on. I won't lose any sleep if the theory turns out fact. It'd be so little of a boost that it's not worth worrying about.
    (2)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast