Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    Also I have a rumor to contribute. Certain TH levels have a negative effect. Seriously, whenever I hit TH8 in Dynamis even with a stagger, I typically receive 1 piece of currency.
    I'm sure I speculated on something similar to this when they first changed TH. I said it seemed to be like COR rolls, with more power from certain levels of TH, but not scaling as you would expect. Devs did post their testing of TH9 vs TH10 thugh and 10 was better than 9, they said. But that doesn't necessarily mean that 8 is better than 7 ;p
    (0)

Player
    Forgive me if it might drift off topic a tad, but i heard that th is simular to dropping marbles into a spinning roulette table, if the table has ie. 10 slots and slot #6 is ,lets just say a O. Bronze piece, th 1-12 would equal to additional marbles added to the table respectively to score slot #6..... the other idea (and probably more favored) i hear is that th simply increases drop % XD. Can someone pls clear that for me? Other than that it sounds like an added level of th should always increase chances theorectically right?
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by TLGrunt View Post
    Forgive me if it might drift off topic a tad, but i heard that th is simular to dropping marbles into a spinning roulette table, if the table has ie. 10 slots and slot #6 is ,lets just say a O. Bronze piece, th 1-12 would equal to additional marbles added to the table respectively to score slot #6..... the other idea (and probably more favored) i hear is that th simply increases drop % XD. Can someone pls clear that for me? Other than that it sounds like an added level of th should always increase chances theorectically right?
    The first scenario you described is simply a reroll, which is the currently accepted behavior of TH1 and TH2 (i.e. TH1 gives one extra chance (or marble in your scenario) to get the drop, TH2 gives two extra chances). However, higher tier TH values don't follow the same formula, and seem to give a static increase in drop rate. The exact behavior is still not understood, but every rumor about TH decreasing for certain values is completely ridiculous in my eyes and I wouldn't pay it any attention at all.
    (3)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    every rumor about TH decreasing for certain values is completely ridiculous in my eyes and I wouldn't pay it any attention at all.
    Oh, I agree, but sometimes enough coincidences do make you think
    (2)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

><)))°€

I tend to get stuff like the Virtuoso Belt etc. better without TH at all hehe.

Meaning I could defeat a certain monster with similar item over 10 times as a Thief, then do it as something else and get the loot. It's what this game is after all mostly about what comes to mechanics: luck.

That being said, I mostly go as a Thief if I intend to go after certain items en masse, i.e., more items per time altogether (hundreds of kills versus one kill per 2-10+ hours). So in my case, any Treasure Hunter level might actually work in opposite ways from the intended due to my luck basically dividing it with zarro.

What was I talking about?
    Oh yeah... nothing!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Thenomadgrey
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Everyone I speak to keeps saying how they've heard that you have to get a TH proc, or there is no TH on it. Anyone have any idea where this rumour came from? or is it just a case of the stupid POIDH attitude, so people don't believe that there's any TH on a mob if they don't see it with their own eyes?
    I'm not sure how the rumor started, but I have heard it myself while playing in Gusgen as a mule. A person flat out told me that TH2 was there base... At lvl15 THF... So I'm just going to assume it's the newer people making these rumors and/or people not believing it till they see it as you said. The TH is there without a proc message.

The other thing I hear is that if you have multiple THFs, 1 wearing TH7, the others not, if the other THFs get first proc it can be less than 7. The way I understand TH to work, this can't happen. Thoughts?
    This is false. I have done a few events with others THF's (me TH7 them TH5-6) and even when they landed the first hit, the first proc message for TH was TH8. The highest TH sticks much like a higher level spells overwriting lower level ones.
    (1)

Having just spent a while doing kings for BB items, I'm fairly sure that the chance of getting a TH proc is higher, the higher your own TH equipped is.

If I start with TH7 and then swap gear to normal melee gear TH3 or 4 depending if I swap knife or not, the chances are that the fight ended up with TH8 or 9. If I full-time TH7, it seemed to rise faster and higher chance that it ended up on 11 or 12.

I've also taken to full-timing TH gear in dynamis until I get proc too. Apart from anything else (and it might just be placebo anyway) it reduces the chance of killing the mob before it's procced.
    (1)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    My formal testing for that has been limited, but the results so far do point that way. The chance to upgrade seems to depend on the TH level difference between what's currently on the mob and what the THF has on when the hit occurs. The bigger the gap, the lower the chance. But I'm still working on determining exact formulas.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I've also taken to full-timing TH gear in dynamis until I get proc too. Apart from anything else (and it might just be placebo anyway) it reduces the chance of killing the mob before it's procced.
    I find myself doing this before proc as well, though less for the killing efficiency and more for the evasion so I can put less evasion in other places.

As for the difference in TH levels, I must agree. I find (excluding feint) I have a much higher frequency of increasing TH pre-proc when I'm wearing full TH than post-proc when I'm wearing almost none.
    (0)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Phraust
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Relevant for this post, I just happen to stumble in here, and have recently been trying to make my life easier and make sets that are conducive to actions that would add TH during Dynamis specifically. Bare with me for these are exceptionally subjective, and uncatalogued observations; but they may none-the-less point someone in the right direction for research.

As of right now, I 'found my solution' and stick with it atm to great results.

Test 1:
    Question: Does having TH on "pulling gear" ad the full TH value?
    Answer: Yes
    Methodology: Pulled a mob in Dynamis in full TH gear, proceeded to melee monster until I saw a 'TH proc', it was always 1 higher than the TH level of the pulling gear.

Problem: I sometimes have 2+ monsters on me; pulling resulted from just changing target, and using the ranged macro at that time was inefficient.

Solution: Add TH gear to my Step/Flourish macros in order to trigger TH on those actions.

Question: Does adding TH gear to Step and/or flourish add TH to the monster at the proper level?
    Answer: No, unfortunately.
    Methodology: Same as before, I thought maybe violent flourish might because it actually did physical damage to the monster. But time and time again, I was let down.

OBSERVATION WHILE DOING TESTS: It was fuck-all getting that frigging TH proc while in 'Normal TP Gear'. Sometimes it'd be three+ monsters before I'd see a proc...

I'd asked this question before if the level of TH affected the Rate as well as the Potency of the procs on TH... And As much as I hate to say it out loud knowing it's going to damn me into wearing sub-par gear during events... The more TH+ you have the more frequently it seems to proc.

Question: Does TH gear add to the frequency of procs on monsters?
    Answer: Observations lean towards yes.
    Methodology: This is shakey at best but me and my girlfriend both went out as thieves to kill Ruszors, she was in my "Dynamis build", while I was full DD. We'd typically fight different monsters, and in the hour we farmed I proc'd 4 times to her 21.

Problems with this:
    1) Not all procs are visible. (WS etc...)
    2) Kill times/experience were not the same.

My current set that seems to allow me to get at least one "promotion" per monster is as follows.

Thokcha(evasion), Rapidus Sax(for the haste really), Chakram(Agi and Evasion)
    Zelus, Triecel, Suppa, Brutal
    Thaumas, Asn.Armlets+2, Rajas, Eponas
    Atheling, Twilight Belt, Raider's Coulotte, Raider's Poulaines.

That build is "For Dynamis"... It gets the job done, so keep the fire to a simmer if you must be a cock-wad...
    I will prolly drop the Raider Pants for Thaumas if I ever get lucky in Nizzle ever again, which should free up my offhand for a better dagger.

Either way, it's full haste, full TH, decent evasion.

So my current question I am working on is this:

Is it better to kill faster right now at a lower TH? Or take a slight hit on damage/kill speed for more TH?

Atm I am partnered up with an exceptional Melee Whm, we go and wreck shit, Skillchain every fight, I alternate SA and TA every fight and we keep haste samba up close to 80% of the time. (killing one monster about every 30 seconds) increasing my kill speed might not net me anything at this time to be honest. She's a Kraken in the offhand, and that makes up for casting haste etc, but all in all we're pretty in sync, so increasing my damage doesnt' really offer anything to the situation.

Outside of Dynamis however, or if you're solo... My question stands with a little more relevance, but the times where you're grinding through a stream of trash mobs for drops these days are pretty non-existant; and where relevant the boost to TH-proc from SA/TA (+/- Feint) is more than sufficient. (Especially when SA/TA is now coupled with TH gear).

TL/DR: If you trust my judgment... TP in TH gear on trash mobs if you need drops from them, and find a set that caps haste/TH. SA/TA in TH gear when you can on "important stuff".
    (1)
    Last edited by Frost; 08-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    If you don't understand why Haste is so important, or if you don't think it is:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/1847-Haste-and-You...-A-guide-to-the-misinformed.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast