Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

Magical Crit is it good? or is it bad?

Good day my black mage brothers and sister!

I have been noticing a trend lately with a lot of blm using mCrit builds. I too thought this was a good idea until I did some digging and learned how mCrit affecting our magic.
    Thanks to the lovely people at BG for taking the time to test and run numbers the mCrit page of their wiki states the following:
    Magic "Critical Hit" was a stat added at the same time as Wise Strap and Witch Sash. Unlike regular critical hits, no job has a native Magic Critical Hit rate. Only equipment and Atma allow you to Magic Crit.

A "Magic Critical Hit" is actually just MAB+10 for the "Critical-ed" spell. It does not appear to have any affect on Magic Accuracy. Equipment that gives Magic Critical Hit Damage +X% actually just gives an additional X MAB on top of the 10 base. Magic Critical Hit Damage appears to cap at +30%, or 40 MAB total for a Magical Critical Hit.

Example: 5% Magic Critical Hit Rate and +15% Magic Critical Hit Damage in gear will result in a 25 MAB bonus 5% of the time. In terms of average damage, this is equivalent to 1.25 MAB (5% * 25 MAB).
    Now we do not have that many mCrit pieces of gear but SE is starting to add more. But I can't help but notice lower dmg returns then just stacking MAB.
    There are pros and cons to everything in the game. stacking MAB normally leads to lower MACC and there is a trick to balancing it out. This largely depends on the play style of the person. Those content with having a single set of armor and not writing gear swaps within their macros it could be a good investment to get mCrit gear. Those of us who do change gear (and by that I mean A LOT GEAR not just the staffs) there are more optimal builds out there that leave us with more MAB for every spell and not relaying on a lucky "crit" to get the boost in dmg.

Personal option mCrit needs to be reworked. instead of adding MAB to the spell it should modify the dmg dealt by a percentage just like a melee crit does. SE can use a similar formula to calculate the dmg and rate using int vice dex etc...

What are your thoughts on all of this?
    (0)

I have to admit, when I saw all of this M Crit gear appearing at high prices, I assumed it was a significant increase, like +50% damage at least for a crit. A max of +40 MAB is more than disappointing. Personally I'll continue to max out INT in those slots where I can't get MAB.
    (1)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    It's good to get on random pieces that increase the damage all the time, it's rubbish to build a set for it.

The only time it'd become good is if they changed it to a % based damage.
    (5)

Character
    Nawesemo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Magic criticals are gooooood, wasting gear slots specificly for +mag crit is baaaaad (bonus points for finding gear with +int, +mab and +mag crit though)
    (0)
    In our wake will be smoke fire and burnt charred remains of those that have fell before us, We will not remember their names, as they are no more, the next challenge, the next horizon is what we strive for and Demand it be met with Ferocity, We Grin at the Possibility of death, Fear no Mob that walks Vana'diel or it's Realms, there is no tomorrow, there is only now, For pride, for honor, for Glory We are The Knights of Pegasus.

I'd rather stick conserve MP in there intead of magic crit. Set bonus proc far outweighs Mag. Crit
    (1)