Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    And Shining Ruby for another 238 ^^
    If it's applied after everything else, yes, which I doubt though. Guess I can test it next time.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

175 defense is pretty decent. If we take the old Ig-alima numbers they gave us (1059 attack), and give a player an arbitrary 400 defense without protect, current Protect V would put it at 460 defense, while new Protect V would give 575 defense.

Given a positive level correction of +1.0 (maybe 1.05, but 1.0 is good enough here), cRatio for current Protect V would be 3.302, while cRatio for new Protect V would be 2.842, for a 14% reduction in damage taken.

Use Berserk, and defense is reduced to 345 (current) or 431 (new), giving cRatios of 4.0 and 3.457, 13.6% reduction.

Remove the level correction component, and additional damage reduction is about 20%.

Only complaint I would have is that +5 defense per merit is pretty cheap, since meriting to 5/5 is only a 2% additional reduction in damage taken compared to 1/5. Make it +15 defense per merit (the equivalent of another Protect 1, and 6% damage reduction for taking it to 5/5) and it would be worthwhile to at least consider it.

Of course that's all based on the idea of the current flat increase, whereas Camate indicated it should actually be a percentage increase, so subject to change.
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Motenten View Post
    Only complaint I would have is that +5 defense per merit is pretty cheap, since meriting to 5/5 is only a 2% additional reduction in damage taken compared to 1/5. Make it +15 defense per merit (the equivalent of another Protect 1, and 6% damage reduction for taking it to 5/5) and it would be worthwhile to at least consider it.
    This.

Although these updates to Protect as a whole are great, it still doesn't get around the fact that it's just not worth meriting protectra V if you're a full-time /SCH, and definately not worth putting more than 1 merit into it and getting the augment done on relic +2 for a total of 55 extra def.... or is it?

Looking at Montenten's figures above, 5/5 with augment will be an additional 5.5% reduction in damage compared to 1/5 and no augment.
    (0)

Character
    Danntay
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    5.5% seems like enough for me to go 5/5 protectra V now, atleast until I actually see a need for a devotion. Though I may 4/5 Protectra V and 1/5 devotion just because. The difference between 1/5 Shellra V and 5/5 augmented is only around 5% too correct?
    (1)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    That's only on something with 1000 attack, it gets less as the monsters attack gets close to your defense.

Definitely worth 1/5 though.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12