Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    DRK is useful for 6 man tojil, we do MNK MNK DRK BRD WHM SCH. Possibly useful on the new Yorcia fracture. Outside of that DD is all about MNK or RNG due to how hard everything hits now. SE got tired of players complaining about people just zerging everything with buffed melees so they created boss's that can hit you for 2000~4000 damage. Only two ways to survive that are to have really high HP (MNK) or in extreme case's to simply not be in range of the attack (RNG) while dumping all your hate onto a turtle PLD. This leaves every other DD out in the cold since they don't have the HP to survive the attacks nor can they effectively fight from outside the range.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Marauderex
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    So the problem shifted from zerging to mnk/rng/pld
    Not exactly a balanced fix really.

Heres hoping they fix things as drk is the only reason I started playing this game, why I came back over FFXIV or any other MMO, but as it is now its not worth paying SE a monthly fee to play a job I want to play by sitting on the sidelines.
    (0)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by MarauderEX View Post
    First off I apologize for necro bumping a thread that is almost a year old but given the topic and my post being so similar I did not see any reason to create a new thread to post my observations/frustrations as a returning player, if this is inappropriate I apologize and can post in a more correct place.

I recently came back tot he game after almost 5 years off, and in the few months I have been back I am getting more and more frustrated and discouraged. Pretty much its anything I can do another job can do better. When I left DRK's were stunners which at the time was an integral part of battle strategy but now that seems to be the domain of SCH. Damage seems to be a MNK thing, (I wont go into the massive specifics I can since it is generally understood that MNK has so many advantages going for it at the moment). And magic we are even more laughable as our elemental is even more a joke as a BLM can spam stone I in skirmish for more than my highest tier nuke could ever do, and our dark magic spells either take forever, decay, or get highly resisted. We used to be good for zerging, but I haven't seen how a K-club/Souleater competes against 119+ content but given that I have seen that with the second SMN 1-hour and that avatars do well against most new content and all old content their spike damage during that time is immense.

So what does DRK actually bring to the table? I have been playing catch up for years of content but the problem I am running into is it seems like I am better served leveling another job to do the end game content to make my DRK somewhat competitive for that same end game content, so why bother even switching back to DRK?
    well yeah, you got the point/current flaw of FFXI. DRK is there for damage and can contribute excellent dmg just as mnk, the problem is mnks survivability which puts all other DDs to shame. but DRKs main point is to deal Damage. But if you want invites for specific content you need to go with the trend jobs:

Super tier: MNK WHM BRD (all 3 wanted for all content)

High tier: COR PLD RNG (they are wanted, but not for every event)

Mid tier: WAR DRK SAM NIN DRG (when MNKs are not at hand or you need different type of dmg when blunt/formless doesnt work)

Low tier: SCH (usually anything that involves stuns or nukes, mostly stuns which is only olde delve)

even lower tier: the other DDs + BLM + RUN

shit tier: GEO (only for alliance content), RDM (if you really dont have a SCH at hands for debuffing)

^this is only a reflection of how the people see the jobs and want to go the easiest route (obviously a SCH can heal just not as good as a top tier WHM, etc etc,)
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2