Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Updates as a separate Download for Windows users...

okay this is both a suggestion and a question, why not make FFXI Updates available as a separate download for windows users? it would clear up a lot of congestion and allow people who have multiple PCs to update them on a single download

pardon me if this has been suggested but most MMOs on Windows allow you to download separately or at least save the updates for later use, so why not FFXI as well?
    (10)
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Someone on BlueGartr has posted how to interrupt the update process so you can keep the files and drop them into another PC to shorten the update process. They've also kept a batch of links to the update files so share with the community.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    why not make FFXI Updates available as a separate download for windows users?
    Because it would be a good idea, and we all know how much SE loves good ideas.
    (10)

Character
    Mifaco
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    This will get about as much support as saving the Square-Enix password on POL login instead of having to type it in every single time.
    (0)

Character
    Juilan
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    @Mifaco I'm sure thats enough to rival the population of the entire game.

@OP They did it with ffxi, shouldn't be too hard...

I for one would LOVE both, and on the topic of BG, can't you get the tmp2 or w/e files from a link there as recent as like march or april? Most of the work is already done for them!
    (0)
    I have the final form of Aegis, it has 40 Def Augments Shield bash V and Magic Damage Taken -45%... The ultimate form!

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    can we get a community rep to run this idea by the devs please?
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Romancing Saga
    Secret of Mana
    Final Fantasy
    Kingdom Hearts
    Dragon Quest
    The Bouncer
    The World Ends With You
    Chrono Trigger.

I agree, we do know how much SE loves good ideas.
    (1)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

It square untill they accept high speed internet on this game then out of luck, there is know way on a pc or xbox it should take a hr to download 200mb when got 50mb download connection this my speed test connection in soul korea since japans not showing up http://www.speedtest.net/result/1956754715.png and this my speed from washington state to los angles http://www.speedtest.net/result/1956761394.png. Until they go global and fiber optic game to a server to the usa were all f out of luck. hope the links work part me want to complain to square on speed other part you'll can see why online game so big in usa or local areas.
    (0)
    A Mind that has been stretched will Never Return to its original Dimension....
    (author unknown)

There is a lot that comes into play here, some of which SE doesn't have control over. At best, SE could send the updates as a complete package, or groups of packets instead of all the individual tiny files involved. Because they are being sent as thousands of tiny flat files, it opens the process up to all kinds of issues that can crop up with the individual network segments those packets are running through--SE has no control over what happens once those packets are on the wire.

Having a large pipe on your end has no impact on download speed if someone else is clamping down due to congestion and traffic shaping, or if the source is on a smaller pipe in the first place. This DOES happen a lot over there. I have run benchmarks to other JP servers when experiencing heavy choking from SE, and the speed from those servers will choke down as well (3-6Mb down to 1Mb when SE drops from 2Mb+ down to @500Kb). You can also witness this during Windows Update as well. They are capable of streaming ISO's at a full 10Mb stream, but if you have a lot of small WinUpdates, it can be remarkably slow to download/verify each of them in comparison. FTP a bunch of MP3 files at once, then pack them up as a single ZIP file and send them--you'll be surprised at the difference in the actual transfer rate.

They could provide the download as packed files instead of the flat files, but then they'd have to revamp the whole update process with an unpacker/installer process. IDK if they're ready to undo all that spaghetti code to inject a new update process. They're having a hard enough time keeping it somewhat stable as they pare down POL as is.

Alternatively they could pack all the ROM's into a zip archive and let it be mirrored at their partner sites or (or even put it out as a torrent for that matter--so long as it's not the crappy one they used in 14's early beta)...essentially what the guys do at BG. SE would probably have a laundry list of conerns about that though...the issue of people not properly unpacking the files manually into the proper directory structure, issues with mixed versioning that might even lead to some sort of exploit somewhere... They may even be concerned if they put their files out there openly like that, other legal/monetary concerns could come into play too I guess--user sites could suddenly have their bandwith spike from mirroring patches, and all kinds of issues could crop up like compensation and such.

So, from their perspective, it's probably more attractive for them to continue with the file-by-file verification during the update process. If you have modded a DAT, they may detect it and replace it with their version. It's a way for them to safeguard against inconsistencies I guess....but it injects a lot of lag with all those verifications bouncing back and forth. Ideally, I'd like to see it actually be a patch package that downloads as a single file, launches, and unpacks all the files. Just not holding my breath for SE to get with modern times after 10 years of doing it this way....maybe if they one day actually manage to strip POL completely down?
    (0)
    Last edited by RAIST; 05-18-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    having packed files that could be run to place the files in the correct directories would be best, 7zip allows you to make installers, a script that would search for the correct directory would be possible since all it would need is the correct region's registry entries for that

it would not be as difficult as you make it seem RAIST, its a matter of how lazy the programmers are or are not, after all, it would not take even that much for SE to make a entry so that the update files would go into a directory in your "My Documents" directory and the game would search there and update from there, that would only take a small POL update to make that work

Quote Originally Posted by RAIST View Post
    There is a lot that comes into play here, some of which SE doesn't have control over. At best, SE could send the updates as a complete package, or groups of packets instead of all the individual tiny files involved. Because they are being sent as thousands of tiny flat files, it opens the process up to all kinds of issues that can crop up with the individual network segments those packets are running through--SE has no control over what happens once those packets are on the wire.

Having a large pipe on your end has no impact on download speed if someone else is clamping down due to congestion and traffic shaping, or if the source is on a smaller pipe in the first place. This DOES happen a lot over there. I have run benchmarks to other JP servers when experiencing heavy choking from SE, and the speed from those servers will choke down as well (3-6Mb down to 1Mb when SE drops from 2Mb+ down to @500Kb). You can also witness this during Windows Update as well. They are capable of streaming ISO's at a full 10Mb stream, but if you have a lot of small WinUpdates, it can be remarkably slow to download/verify each of them in comparison. FTP a bunch of MP3 files at once, then pack them up as a single ZIP file and send them--you'll be surprised at the difference in the actual transfer rate.

They could provide the download as packed files instead of the flat files, but then they'd have to revamp the whole update process with an unpacker/installer process. IDK if they're ready to undo all that spaghetti code to inject a new update process. They're having a hard enough time keeping it somewhat stable as they pare down POL as is.

Alternatively they could pack all the ROM's into a zip archive and let it be mirrored at their partner sites or (or even put it out as a torrent for that matter--so long as it's not the crappy one they used in 14's early beta)...essentially what the guys do at BG. SE would probably have a laundry list of conerns about that though...the issue of people not properly unpacking the files manually into the proper directory structure, issues with mixed versioning that might even lead to some sort of exploit somewhere... They may even be concerned if they put their files out there openly like that, other legal/monetary concerns could come into play too I guess--user sites could suddenly have their bandwith spike from mirroring patches, and all kinds of issues could crop up like compensation and such.

So, from their perspective, it's probably more attractive for them to continue with the file-by-file verification during the update process. If you have modded a DAT, they may detect it and replace it with their version. It's a way for them to safeguard against inconsistencies I guess....but it injects a lot of lag with all those verifications bouncing back and forth. Ideally, I'd like to see it actually be a patch package that downloads as a single file, launches, and unpacks all the files. Just not holding my breath for SE to get with modern times after 10 years of doing it this way....maybe if they one day actually manage to strip POL completely down?
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast