Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Rayna
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95

Duration of Blue Mage Buffs

With only a few exceptions, generally our buff spells have very short durations, rendering most of them impractical for general use.

Cocoon - 1.5 minutes
    Feather Barrier - 30 seconds
    Memento Mori - 30 seconds
    Warm-up - 3 minutes
    Amplification - 1.5 minutes
    Saline Coat - 1 minute
    Reactor Cool - 2 minutes
    Plasma Charge - 1 minute
    Battery Charge - 5 minutes
    Magic Barrier - 5 minutes
    Barrier Tusk - 1 minute
    Orcish Counterstance - 1 minute

Triumphant Roar - 1 minute

I think consideration should be given not just to increasing the duration of BLU buff spells, but perhaps also to adding a stance for BLU that doubles buff duration, while slightly increasing Blue Magic casting time across the board. This would allow BLUs the option to take advantage of some of the less commonly used buff spells, especially in situations that require endurance, such as Nyzul. As it currently stands, the hit to our DoT and to our MP pool is simply too much for a lot of these spells to ever see the light of day.
    (11)
    Last edited by Briarb19; 05-21-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Briarb19 View Post
    I think consideration should be given not just to increasing the duration of BLU buff spells, but perhaps also to adding a stance for BLU that doubles buff duration, while slightly increasing Blue Magic casting time across the board. This would allow BLUs the option to take advantage of some of the less commonly used buff spells, especially in situations that require endurance, such as Nyzul. As it currently stands, the hit to our DoT and to our MP pool is simply to much for a lot of these spells to ever see the light of day.
    Blu isn't getting composure. Events such as Nyzul allow you to buy ethers and mana powders and mana boosts. In the next update diffusion is going to buff our durations by 5% per merit (20% at 5/5 assuming the first merit doesn't count) then the relic shoes +2 will increase that by another 5% per merit 45% at 5/5.

I'm not saying I don't agree Blu durations need a buff, things like feather barrier, barrier tusk and orcish counterstance really do, even if only to something like 3mins, but there are work arounds for it, + if you are doing events like Nyzul why are you even setting these spells? You don't need defensive setups for Nyzul, spells like feather barrier and cocoon are for when you aren't time constrained, you set them for long battles where you won't be using physical spells as much
    (3)
    Last edited by Cabalabob; 04-29-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    An additional 45% buff duration every 10 minutes from 5/5 diffusion and mirage charuqs +2 will not even come close to making half of these buffs ever worth using. I fail to see how Mp restore items have any impact on it either. We just seriously need our buff durations increased.

Spells like Triumphant Roar, Barrier Tusk, and O.Counterstance lasting for 3~5 minutes would actually make those spells usable.

Feather Barrier and Memento Mori would be fine with 2~3 minute durations.

Cocoon, Magic Barrier, and Battery Charge are fine as they are.

The rest of our buffs are either too situational or too useless to be worth casting in the first place. In the former case, their duration is often fine. In the latter, I don't care enough to ask for them to be changed. Using development time to fix spells that actually need to be fixed, however, would be appreciated SE.

Aside: 5/5 diffusion isn't even worth considering btw.
    (7)

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    not that it matters much with this spell, but I'm a little jealous that a blm can cast shock spikes for an easy 3 min while we have a similar spell with a 60 second duration and a worse recast time of 60 seconds. why are many of our magical spells so inferior? and why are we still sitting on broken spells?
    (1)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Some of those buffs could see an increase in duration, others are fine. Hope they actually read this thread and do something about it.
    (0)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I agree with everyone that the duration could be better but an adjustment like that would make me be weary of....

+looks around+

Coast clear?

.....balance.

We have access to everything any job would want, but at the price of short durations.

Attack that stacks with Berserk? - Check
    Magic Attack? - Check
    Defense, Stoneskin and DT down? - check
    Accuracy +? - Check
    Evasion +? - Check
    Ice Spikes+? - Check

And of course Haste and Refresh - Check
    (3)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Problem is though, the potency of the buffs does not justify the poor durations. Sure we can do a lot of buffs, most of them simultaneously, but they aren't really that potent. Most of our buffs (that have counterparts anyway) are less effective than its other magic/item/ability form, and that's absolutely fine, but the durations have no need to be so small to compensate for an issue that doesn't really exist.

There are exceptions, like Cocoon, that are fine with their current duration, however spells like Triumphant Roar and Barrier Tusk don't really call for an incredibly short duration at all, and those short durations make them so inefficient to use that they're completely worthless.
    (5)
    Last edited by Prothscar; 05-02-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    not a fan of some casting times we've gotta deal with too. barrier tusk, warm-up, amplification, and orcish counterstance are all too long. I even think saline coat should be faster due to its situational aspects, but thats just me. if this is a form of balance, it's a cruel form of it. some spells become completely useless and a waste of time to set. feather barrier... probably the worst out there. 30 second duration with 120 seconds recast... wow!
    (0)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Too true!

Bleh
    (0)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    I agree to some of the short duration's such as Memento (though I do think I'd up it to 60 seconds), but others are ridiculous for what they do.
    (0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast