Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Character
    Retsujo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    They already said Windows only, it's the title of the thread.

Also Memory is different to space.
    Don't be a jackass, they have only stated that these are the updates coming for the Windows version of the game. The new UI elements will be PC only because of memory constraints, but my question was of the original macro design. They were able to add several macro books to the original UI, so I don't see the disability in adding another line set for each page of macros.
    (0)
    Through the confinement of Valefor I found myself in the depths of Hades. It was there that I was thrown into Cerberus' Den. Only through Carbuncle's light could I find my way.

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I guess the moral of the story is don't get your hopes up for something new and improved around here. You will be disappointed.
    (1)

Character
    Phaffi
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    So, why can't i sit at my desk for all of two minutes to move the logs and HP bars and things around, then just go lay on the couch like when i played XIV?
    (3)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Retsujo View Post
    Alternatively for Windows, Does this mean that it can't be implemented for the original UI so that controller users can toggle the three sets on screen?
    OK, I continue to work on pure speculation (even though my speculation seems to have a pretty good track record in this thread), BUT...

From the intent we're seeing, it's improper to think of this new "macro set" as a macro set per se. As stated earlier, it will pretty much always be displayed on the screen, in contrast to having to hold Ctrl/Alt or R2/L2.

And, with the apparent aim of making it more resemble XIV (again, my speculation), you should instead think of this "macro set" as a replacement for the "Action Command Window" (that is, the context-sensitive menu that currently pops up in the lower-left). Instead of having something from which to select "Disengage," "Ability" or "Magic" from, you will instead have a row of pretty icons that you arrange and customize yourself.

The icons will be navigable with the d-pad but, without the menu nesting present in the current UI, it won't be as efficient as clicking with a mouse.

Of course, it would be really nice to have some sort of mock-up without having to wait until the end of June so we can all know what the heck we're talking about!

/subtlehint
    (0)
    Last edited by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo; 05-11-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Don't quite get how the new features would be awkward/difficult for gamepad users.....gamepad, KB, and Mouse are not restricted on the PC--they are always available. Gamepad users should still be able to drag the logs/windows, etc. wherever they want with their mouse and continue to use their gamepads to move their character, call action menus and the original macro palettes as always. Unless for some reason, the new UI will not accpt gamepad bindings that are set under FFXI Config? If the gamepad buttons will still be accepted, then the only feature that should be "unavailable" is the mini macro palette assigned to numbers 1-0. Which prompts a question:

Why are they adding this new min-pallete instead of making it a third macro palette just like the existing ones, and give us an option to bind it to a keyboard or gamepad button press in FFXI Config? With 16 buttons (two of which are still not assigned on mine) I could esily find something to bind a 3rd macro bar to. A third macro bar like the two we already have might even be doable on the consoles, provided there aren't any memory constraints getting in the way. Just a thought......
    (6)
    Last edited by RAIST; 05-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIST View Post
    Don't quite get how the new features would be awkward/difficult for gamepad users.....gamepad, KB, and Mouse are not restricted on the PC--they are always available. Gamepad users should still be able to drag the logs/windows, etc. wherever they want with their mouse and continue to use their gamepads to move their character, call action menus and the original macro palettes as always. Unless for some reason, the new UI will not accpt gamepad bindings that are set under FFXI Config?...
    Quoted for repetition's sake and liked.
    (3)

Character
    Yuusaku
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Moving the menus into place with the mouse is not the issue. That is a short, easy task. Many PC gamers are moving toward home theater/standard console-style big screen HDTV gaming and I am one of them. I don't have any desire to use a mouse on my bed or on a recliner/sofa. It's not feasible. If I can still punch macros with LB/RB and swap gear using A, then that's all that matters.

I WANT to use the new UI. It's exciting, so I just would like clarification about still being able to use macros with the controller shoulder buttons... and navigating the menus with my d-pad. It is not easy to drag/drop and continuously grab a mouse on a soft/uneven surface and defeats the purpose of home theater comfort. I use a mouse at work 40 hours a week as it is.
    (2)

Character
    Lisotte
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Don't forget people, windower and the like (in fact other ui configurations) will now be legitimitised. So I find it quite likely that some awesome dude out there will find a way to get good features of this ui working with gamepad
    (1)

Character
    Aerolite
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Retsujo View Post
    Don't be a jackass, they have only stated that these are the updates coming for the Windows version of the game. The new UI elements will be PC only because of memory constraints, but my question was of the original macro design. They were able to add several macro books to the original UI, so I don't see the disability in adding another line set for each page of macros.
    He's not being a jackass, it's been made quite clear that these changes are all specific to the Windows version of the game.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by JiltedValkyrie View Post
    Moving the menus into place with the mouse is not the issue. That is a short, easy task. Many PC gamers are moving toward home theater/standard console-style big screen HDTV gaming and I am one of them. I don't have any desire to use a mouse on my bed or on a recliner/sofa. It's not feasible. If I can still punch macros with LB/RB and swap gear using A, then that's all that matters.

I WANT to use the new UI. It's exciting, so I just would like clarification about still being able to use macros with the controller shoulder buttons... and navigating the menus with my d-pad. It is not easy to drag/drop and continuously grab a mouse on a soft/uneven surface and defeats the purpose of home theater comfort. I use a mouse at work 40 hours a week as it is.
    To clarify i play the game with a game pad and using my hd tv from the comfort of my recliner, the way i bypass the whole mouse issue is i use a wireless laser mouse, for some games mouse and keyboard type controls do have a place but those usually are FPS types any game meant to be played in 3rd person view i will always prefer my game pad for.
    (1)

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast