Character
    Aisaka
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99

New DNC 2 Hour Feedback

In short, the new DNC 2 hour ability is terrible.

For reference:
    Gives five finishing moves and resets flourish recast timers.
    Eliminates the cost of finishing moves.
    1> Finishing Moves are NOT a huge issue for DNC. It's not that it's NOT a nice effect, but because of Flourish Recasts, having an infinite amount of FMs to use is not very beneficial.
    2> Flourish Recasts being reset once for this does not give a lot of benefit, as you can still only use one flourish per category and will have to wait another recast.

For most, this will just give us an extra WS every 2 hours. I shouldn't have to explain how tiny that is for a 2 hour ability.

A few ideas: [Note, not going easy with how "broken" these ideas might be, considering how great some other 2 hours are.]
    A> Eliminates the cost of Finishing Moves. Flourish Recast Timers reset and reduced for the duration. [Either similar to Trance making Waltzes nearly no cooldown, or just a massive recast reduction.]
    B> Causes Steps to grant 5 Finishing Moves and Level 5 Daze. Flourish recast timers are set to 0 for the duration.

I could throw in a few more ideas but I think the picture is clear. The game has enough useless/not too useful 2 hour abilities as-is, and DNC's current 2 hour is nothing amazing. The new 2 hour is not going to be very useful in it's current state, so please reconsider.

If it's not changed, I can only hope that we'll be able to use merits to make it useful.
    (3)
    /人 ‿‿ 人\

Character
    Shibayama
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Really, I'm surprised at how lackluster most of these 2 hours are - the fact that you can only use them once every 2 hours completely justifies them being a bit broken. One extra skill chain every 2 hours is nothing, and as others have pointed out, has even less benefit for non-rudra DNC.

Honestly, the devs should know just how 2 hours are used. Jobs with good 2 hours can turn the tides of a fight - something like this is so minute, it seems laughable to imagine anyone suggesting incorporating it into a fight strategy and thus make it worth inviting a dancer. All it took was a powerful 2 hour like embrava to make SCH to go-to mage for events like Nyzul, and I was expecting something along those lines and was greatly dissapointed in what was revealed.

I fully support suggestion B from this thread, and I really don't want to hear what the dev's intended use for this 2 hour was supposed to be, or the suggestion that they'll be adding new flourishes with better synergy with this ability 2-3 years down the line like the ternary flourish gear/merits that were mentioned, or more of the same excuses we've been getting in droves lately which basically amount to "the coding is done and unless there's a bug we don't want to change it, even if the players/testers say it has no worth". There is already little to no incentive to invite a dancer to most current endgame content, and a good strong 2 hour can atleast help in that department.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shibayama; 08-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.

I can only assume that most 2 hours are so bad just because they are introducing the option to merit them. An amazing 2 hour is a bad starting point for an improvable ability. Merits for this are likely to have a category for "Flourish timer down 20% per merit".

It's a shame, but SE probably came up with really good ideas for 2 hours, then worked backwards, stripping them of some utility to put that utility into merits. Then they think up 2-3 other terrible categories that won't really enhance the ability in anyway and add them as the other meritable options, even though they know noone will ever merit them.
    (0)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    I can only assume that most 2 hours are so bad just because they are introducing the option to merit them. An amazing 2 hour is a bad starting point for an improvable ability. Merits for this are likely to have a category for "Flourish timer down 20% per merit".

It's a shame, but SE probably came up with really good ideas for 2 hours, then worked backwards, stripping them of some utility to put that utility into merits. Then they think up 2-3 other terrible categories that won't really enhance the ability in anyway and add them as the other meritable options, even though they know noone will ever merit them.
    My inner optimist wants to believe that what we are seeing is in fact exactly that kind of terrible logic.

My logical side knows that they will introduce stupid merits that do things like "Extend effect for 2 seconds per merit..." even though 3 weapon skills and 3 reverse flourishes only take like 10 seconds total out of a 30 second duration and the effect is lost after the 3rd one.

My inner pessimist fully expects them to pull a total troll and arrange the merits in a way that makes it so that you can only fully merit 3 jobs... you know, so that you have a choice. It's not a limitation. It's a choice... yeah. /sarcasm
    (0)
    Last edited by FrankReynolds; 09-01-2012 at 09:17 AM.