Thread: Food

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

Food

Eaters of dragons and cheese sandwiches alike, come one, come all. Whether you are a celebrated culinarian chagrined by the completion of your craft, a conned connoisseur choking on curdled cuisine, a recruit ruminating rancid rations regularly, or even just a victim of vile vittles (or at this point sick of the alliteration) you can admit that our foodstuffs, chow, fare and sustenance in general aren't very sustaining in certain cases.

We could use an upgrade to our rations in general, so this is the food thread. We talk about making food, eating food, and occasionally we'll even delve into stuff like magic that is clearly brown in nature.

Please keep all conversation table friendly lest we loose our lunches and please keep it on topic.
    (11)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Granted, there is decent selection of food in some areas and a terrible selection in others. To know where we fall behind, we must know where we are ahead, so I picked some of the better/best choices from certain fields:

• HP +25
    • Strength +7
    • Intelligence -3
    • Attack +20% (Cap: 150@750 Base Attack)
    • Ranged Attack +20% (Cap: 150@750 Base Ranged Attack)
    • HP Recovered While Healing +2
    • MP Recovered While Healing +2
    • Demon Killer

• HP +20
    • MP +20
    • Dexterity +4
    • Vitality +6
    • Charisma +4
    • Agility +4
    • HP Recovered While Healing +1
    • MP Recovered While Healing +1
    • Defense +25% (Cap: 160@640 Base Defense)

• Dexterity +6
    • Vitality +5
    • Resist Sleep
    • Accuracy +17%
    • Ranged Accuracy +17%

• HP +20% (Cap: 95@475 Base HP)
    • Vitality +2
    • Mind -1
    • Defense +25% (Cap: 35@140 Base Defense)
    • Store TP +6

Now compare those stats to these:

• MP +45
    • Strength -1
    • Mind +4
    • MP Recovered While Healing +4
    • Enmity -4

• Mind +10
    • Charisma -5
    • Resist Poison
    • Resist Blind

• Intelligence +7
    • HP -10
    • Resist Slow

• MP +13% (Cap: 95@731 Base MP)
    • MP Recovered While Healing +2

-

Now, I might have missed an item or two but I think the point is pretty much made there. Basically, for melee and ranged attack jobs, attack, accuracy, and defense stats scale with level and food becomes more and more useful as you reach higher and higher levels... whereas for those in the back it becomes less and less effective and the only thing that remotely scales in level is Max MP (what is this 2006?).

I'm sure there are more roles food does not cover as well as it should (What real food doesn't make a master kinder and more friendly to their pet? And what thief doesn't dodge blows better when they are full?) but it is certainly one of the most obvious. While I'd love to be able to save more and more gil from never buying food because it doesn't do enough for the more magey things, or how much I adore being able to eat attack foods without worrying about not being able to munch on Mind food, this is an area that needs addressing.

The silent folks in the back you generally starve and become weak because the only thing to eat are table scraps, forged mushrooms and old candy you found under the bed in your Mog House. This desperately needs fixed.
    (11)

Character
    Legomike
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    yes please, also release the database of all unknown food stats
    (5)
    Lego-DNC99 BST82 BRD69 PUP53 Other40+
    Sparkel-BST99 DRG82 RDM75 PUP53 Other40+
    Cooking100+6 Alchemy83+5 Other70 Gold52 Smith30
    Waiting For Death With Open Arms.

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I've always noticed a serious lack of mage foods. It's all pretty much a token amount of MP and a little of a stat, and that's pretty much it. As RDM/SCH I pretty much stick to Marron Glace and Cream Puffs. For RDM/NIN / other melee jobs I go with Bison Steak or Pizza +1.
    (3)

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Need new food with statts for players at 99 in mind.
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard
    The reason I keep coming back to XI as opposed to other MMOs is because of the content's lastability. While it is true that many pieces are outdated with each patch, to this day there are many old pieces of gear that are still near top-tier if not the top-tier. It encourages you to explore the whole breadth of content rather than asking you to bumrush and bypass all the old content just so you can grind the newer content. This is a model used by other MMOs such as WoW, and while I don't have anything against people that enjoy this model, if I wanted to play an MMO with that model there are many, many games vast superior to XI in terms of mechanics and especially customer service that offer such a model.

Character
    Apelila
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You know what else would be nice for cooking?
    Ingredients that aren't impossible to find. Voidwatch's random synth materials fixed this slightly, but there's still a lot of things that are hard/expensive to find that don't have a worthwhile cost/reward ratio.

The main glut of cooking recipes that are untested are because no one wants to waste the time/money to make them. Pretty much all the HQ of anything that requires Patissier is unknown because Patissier doesn't garuntee the HQ item, and many of the items are 60+ skill level.
    (6)

Red Curry, Red Curry Bun, Dragon Soup all better att food for melee if you don't have 750 att 100% of the time.
    (1)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Okay, it has been a few months now and we're gotten a handful of food items a couple months back.

A few food items of note:
    • Kitron Juice
      Refresh 3MP/tic, 3 minutes
    • Dragonfruit Au Lait
      Regen 7HP/tic, 5 minutes
    • Charred Salisberry Steak
      HP +32, STR +8, INT -6, ATTK +23%, sTP -10, Dragon Killer
    • Juglan Jumble
      hMP +8, Bird Killer
    • Shimmy Soup
      ???

This list is largely a disappointment. Mages (as far as I know, nobody could be bothered to eat the mushpot even once even though the NQ is a test item) get another cookie with hMP, and a slightly better MP drink.

This combined with the new lack of importance for MND for party casted spells since the cure formula changes, expense/reward ratio is lower then even INT boosting foods (mushroom food is expensive compared to Cream Puffs for the most part, further making it less effective; Enmity -4 is a joke for safety compared to eating HP/Defense food), major lack of firepower of MND based nukes, and MND based enfeebles being underrated as well just makes food for mages casting White Magic even more unappealing. That isn't to say Cream Puffs are particularly amazing either, while INT+7 can help boost some damage and floor some resists, it generally doesn't stack up to adding 150 attack or defense.
    (6)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    any news on himesamarice balls recipes/effect?
    (2)

Player
    I'd like for food stats to be seen in game... =_='
    (10)