I have to disagree with the basic premise of this thread for 2 main reasons:

First of all, I am and always have been opposed to the idea of the tidal talisman where you pay RL money for an ingame item (because no one in their right mind bought it just for the necklace). It's a nod to games like Maple Story where it's free to play, but if you want to have any fun, you have to pay MORE than you would for a real MMO like FFXI. It's a scam tactic, and it has a tendancy to scare intelligent people away from the game and attract more impulsive, less thoughtful players.

Second of all, the item can no longer be obtained. I made a choice years ago to not buy it because I knew it was only barely useful back then and that it would be nigh-useless years in the future, thus making it a poor investment.

You got what you paid for. I know it sounds harsh for me to say that, but it's the truth. You buy a car realizing that better forms of transportation will be developed over time. You don't go back to the dealer 5 years later and say "Hey, you remember that car I bought from you? It's not as fast or fuel-efficient as some of the stuff you make now, soooooo..... could you give me a free upgrade on my car?"