Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
  1. #11
    Player Yinnyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    839
    Character
    Yinnyth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    I have to disagree with the basic premise of this thread for 2 main reasons:

    First of all, I am and always have been opposed to the idea of the tidal talisman where you pay RL money for an ingame item (because no one in their right mind bought it just for the necklace). It's a nod to games like Maple Story where it's free to play, but if you want to have any fun, you have to pay MORE than you would for a real MMO like FFXI. It's a scam tactic, and it has a tendancy to scare intelligent people away from the game and attract more impulsive, less thoughtful players.

    Second of all, the item can no longer be obtained. I made a choice years ago to not buy it because I knew it was only barely useful back then and that it would be nigh-useless years in the future, thus making it a poor investment.

    You got what you paid for. I know it sounds harsh for me to say that, but it's the truth. You buy a car realizing that better forms of transportation will be developed over time. You don't go back to the dealer 5 years later and say "Hey, you remember that car I bought from you? It's not as fast or fuel-efficient as some of the stuff you make now, soooooo..... could you give me a free upgrade on my car?"
    (7)

  2. #12
    Player Tsukino_Kaji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,029
    Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    You are greaviously incorrect on several things. FFXI never has, never is, nor will it ever be "pay to win" like you are talking about. This was no scam tactic, it was a one time deal for an incredible item. Much like all of those fancy items that only the JP players got, unless you wanted to fly to Tokyo. Additionaly, you should be sorry that you didn't purchace it, because over the years it ended up beaing extremely usefull on endless ocassions. It doesn't matter that it can no longer be obtained. SE has already proven that they are capable of and implementing updates on older items. This is no different. It was a remarkable travel item that was negated by, not a new form a transportation that was added with that intent, but by a battle system that is completely unrelated to that aspect. It simply has it's own warp system to make that battle content easier for people to play. The fact remains that SE has unintentionaly negated the usability of a fantastic item that they put a lot of work into and it needs to be adressed. To put it in the same terms you have, "there is no new car."
    (0)

  3. #13
    Player Yinnyth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    839
    Character
    Yinnyth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    To put it in the same terms you have, "there is no new car."
    Not, "new car", "stuff". Like if 5 years after you buy your car, teleportation is invented and it kicks ass. It kicks so much ass, that it makes you feel like the car you bought is worthless because all you've been using lately is teleporters. Thinking back to how much money you paid for your car, you feel a bit cheated, so you look for a free upgrade to somehow make your car as awesome as teleportation, or at least more awesome than it is.

    But that's not how it works in the real world. You'd have to pay for the upgrades to make your car into a teleporting hover-car. So would you be willing to shell out another 50 bucks to get a second necklace and an upgrade to your current tidal talisman?

    Again, I'm sorry, but you got what you paid for. In business, it's generally considered normal that companies do not give you free upgrades to the items you purchase unless they actually claim before you buy it that they will upgrade it to keep it useful. So I can't imagine you bought this thing with the expectation that it would be useful to you for as long as you play the game.
    (3)

  4. #14
    Player Llana_Virren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan!!
    Posts
    491
    Character
    Llana
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinnyth View Post
    So I can't imagine you bought this thing with the expectation that it would be useful to you for as long as you play the game.
    [SARCASM]That's not true! I'm still waiting for the day they upgrade my Empty gear![/SARCASM]
    (4)

  5. #15
    Player Tsukino_Kaji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,029
    Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinnyth View Post
    Not, "new car", "stuff". Like if 5 years after you buy your car, teleportation is invented and it kicks ass. It kicks so much ass, that it makes you feel like the car you bought is worthless because all you've been using lately is teleporters. Thinking back to how much money you paid for your car, you feel a bit cheated, so you look for a free upgrade to somehow make your car as awesome as teleportation, or at least more awesome than it is.

    But that's not how it works in the real world. You'd have to pay for the upgrades to make your car into a teleporting hover-car. So would you be willing to shell out another 50 bucks to get a second necklace and an upgrade to your current tidal talisman?

    Again, I'm sorry, but you got what you paid for. In business, it's generally considered normal that companies do not give you free upgrades to the items you purchase unless they actually claim before you buy it that they will upgrade it to keep it useful. So I can't imagine you bought this thing with the expectation that it would be useful to you for as long as you play the game.
    Seriously? How is that even an argument for a nontangable item in a fantasy game. This is something upgradable, just because you can't see the value in an item dose not mean there is no value in the item. I'm sorry you couldn't get and use one for all of these year, but the fact reamains that SE created this with the intent for it to be used to it's fullest extent and then has unintentionaly negated it's very existance. It still needs to be adressed.
    (0)

  6. #16
    Player Bulrogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Carbuncle: Windurst Militia
    Posts
    419
    Let them address the transit timer recast along with the plethora of other items that need their recast timers adjusted. Asking for anything else is just looking the gift-horse in the mouth.
    (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldous Snow
    When the world slips you a Geoffrey, stroke the furry walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by --She
    that's what

  7. #17
    Player Divinius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    38
    Character
    Divinius
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    This was no scam tactic, it was a one time deal for an incredible item. ... Additionaly, you should be sorry that you didn't purchace it, because over the years it ended up beaing extremely usefull on endless ocassions. ... It was a remarkable travel item... SE has unintentionaly negated the usability of a fantastic item...
    Holy crap, dude. Your whole post reeks of "desperately trying to justify to yourself the money you wasted" when you bought an (only marginally useful, even at the time) in-game item for $50.

    I'd have no problem with a reduction in the reuse timers on it, but anything more than that is silly. Let it go, bud.
    (7)

  8. #18
    Player Behemothx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Leviathan
    Posts
    114
    Character
    Behemothx
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Very good use of dev. time, upgrading an item owned by what, 1% of the playing base?

    You paid 50 bucks for an item that lasted 3 years, I think you got your money's worth.
    (5)
    Behemothx - Leviathan
    WAR - DNC - BLM - SMN - THF - WHM - SCH - BLU - RDM - BRD - BST - COR

  9. #19
    Player Phafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dragon's Aery
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinnyth View Post
    I'm butthurt because I didn't get a cool item several years ago and no longer can get one.
    How do you feel about the Harpsichord, Stuffed Chocobo, Destrier Beret or the Spinet?
    (0)

  10. #20
    Player Ziyyigo-Tipyigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Windurst
    Posts
    1,295
    Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    In every example, the in-game item wasn't intended as the central focus of the sale, but as a free bonus for buying something in the real world (pewter pendant, Vana'fest ticket, soundtrack album, etc.)

    The worst offender would probably be the Destrier Beret, since many people ended up re-purchasing software they already owned in the form of the UCAE. But even there, the hat served no real purpose for such people (beyond vanity) because of the level cap; it was clearly aimed at new players, intended as a bonus for people buying the game for the first time.

    (Even then, after spending $10 on the UCAE for the hat, I've found I've gotten a lot of use out of having newer reinstall media that doesn't date back to '04.)

    If you really are treating the tangible product as a throw-away in favor of the virtual item, you either have more money than sense or need to reevaluate your life.
    (3)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread