Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    Character
    Saefinn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    The thing that bugs me about this thread is that people seem to be so against the idea of varying playstyles. When talking about MMOs the main thing I complement FFXI on is the fact that you have a subjob system and you have the ability to play around with different playstyles and exploit different kinds of strengths and weaknesses based on how you would prefer to play. To my mind, with FFXI's job system and how it works it should leave room for more than one way to play a job. I see all this talk of "a good NIN should do that" or "a good NIN should do this", but no, a good NIN will get results. Yes, at its current state you can come to mathematical equations to home in on the best set ups and the best ways to get those numbers up high. But that sucks the fun out of it. If you're going to have such a set-in-stone direction for jobs then why not just take the World of Warcraft route or a the SW:TOR route? Where you just choose you class and choose your role (heal/tank/dps spec) and limit yourself to set rotations, limit yourself to a specific set of gear and just play your job like you're operating a machine. If that was how I had to play FFXI, then I would cease to complement its job system. For me, it would be mundane.

What I've always enjoyed doing with my jobs is seeing what results certain subjobs give, how I can balance certain strengths and weaknesses, how to compensate and experiment to find a way I enjoy the class the most rather than attempt a more mechanical approach, if you prefer it that way, by all means, do it that way, you have room to do so. I prefer to take the approach I most enjoy and it's how people actually end up finding me performing best, because if I'm not enjoying it, then why should I play it? I've avoided researching playstyles for any I play (but will research fights I've not done). I know for certain situations certain things will be expected and I'll fulfill them, for example, playing COR and offering specific buffs, but you do what works for the team as well as yourself, as they say, there's no 'I' in team.

But I hate feeling restricted and I know certain folk would look down upon me for that because it means I might not necessarily restrict myself to what they consider the best - don't get me wrong, there are certain methods I'll agree with. What I'll settle down with is what I like the most and the jobs I've played so far? I've been successful. I won't try to speak expertly on NIN, because before my hiatus I was only levelling it and now, it's 95.

But how is this relevent? I've read the arguments for and against, the arguments 'for' seem to be people reserving it for certain situations and agreeing that it still needs a boost. Whilst the 'against' is based on mathematics. But what I think really should speak for itself is how successful an individual is playing as a Ninja - are these people who find sange preferable playing their job well? And I don't mean based on mathematical equations or heck, even gear choice, but the actual results of their tanking or their DDing. Because whenever I play an MMO, be it this one or another, the most valuable players are the ones who will put the effort in, are into their job roles and get the results...but also enjoyable to play alongside with (no miserable sods or elitists please).

So what I consider playing a job 'well' isn't based on mathematics but the results. Yes, it could go hand in hand - the 'best' tanks are possibly those who take advantage of the formulas to get results, but I would in no way class anybody who does things differently but still gets good results a 'bad' tank. I am saying this as somebody who has to heal tanks and seem to be a main healer in any MMO I play. So naturally, I am not a fan of bad tanks because I have to try and compensate for them.
    (3)
    Saefinn on Asura
    Main Jobs: Corsair: i117, Scholar: i117, Monk: i117, Summoner: i117

2. 09-26-2012 08:13 AM
    Reason
    Decided I'm not going to post in the forums any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Akujima View Post
    Gahahaha.... Remember me?

Still at it, eh guys? Poor Vixen, now he/she is the punching bag for your super fast melee swings.
    Welcome to four months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Saefinn View Post
    But how is this relevent? I've read the arguments for and against, the arguments 'for' seem to be people reserving it for certain situations and agreeing that it still needs a boost. Whilst the 'against' is based on mathematics. But what I think really should speak for itself is how successful an individual is playing as a Ninja - are these people who find sange preferable playing their job well?
    Anyone using throwing as opposed to not throwing is going to be doing, at best, half the damage the none-thrower is. And since Ninja is a DD job, I would say they're not playing it well.

If it's someone who is using sange to somehow try and increase their damage.... They're losing important pieces of gear to have that throwing set and shurikens in their inventory, to do less damage than they otherwise could be doing. My ninja is kinda gimp at this point, and I still require to much gear for it to even consider having a throwing set. So I would classify that as playing poorly as well.
    (1)

http://www.twitch.tv/wish12oz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/r5n/videos

Character
    Saefinn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    If they're playing their part in the group and decide to use sange for whatever reason they desire and everything is going well, I don't see a problem. I don't think currently that it's useful as a primary attack, but I don't suspect that anybody would be using it as a primary attack, but they might view it as something useful when the enemy goes out of range as somebody has suggested. Mathematically it might not be the best thing to do, but it's one area where a person might wish to make use of their sange if they preferred and I would have no problem with that. If I'm grouped I want it to be successful but I also want people to have fun, if playing about in a style they prefer suits them and we still walk out successfully I wouldn't suggest they're doing a bad job and I am happy.

If how they're playing poses any problems, then I'd make suggestions on how they can improve so whatever we're doing is not a failiure. I personally wouldn't use sange myself, but then I prefer sticking to meleeing on my NIN and would rather use any funds on ammo for COR & RNG or on tools for NIN.
    (0)
    Saefinn on Asura
    Main Jobs: Corsair: i117, Scholar: i117, Monk: i117, Summoner: i117

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14