Character
    Javarr
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

Seeking Advice About the Modern Paladin

Greetings Paladins,

After a long time, I finally decided to level the job that a lot of people said I should of leveled first, and that being Paladin. I remember back in the old days (Pre-Abyssea) that when it came to Paladin, many were expected to have several gear sets including (but not limited to:

TP
    WS (Between Vorpal and Attonement)
    PDT
    MDT
    High Enmity (linked normally to Provoke and other high enmity tools)
    Enhancements (Like to Shield Bash, Sentinel, Rampart, ect.)

Some I spoke to also carried sets to enhance their cures and a few even to enhance their Divine magic.

The question I would like to pose is this, how has this view changed in the current Vana'diel? With Paladin pretty much being reserved to some old content, but mainly Voidwatch and maybe Legion (Not sure on this one due to having not done it. ;.; ) what is mainly expected and what do most Paladins gear towards now a day?

I know that Aegis and (Mainly) Ochain are pretty big things that most Paladins should aspire towards, outside of that, my knowledge of what Paladin should set up for is limited to ToAU and WotG era. Any assistance in this matter would be very welcome.

Thank you in advance for your time.
    (0)

Character
    Menewa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 38
    The modern paladin has been retired... If you want to tank lvl puppet master...
    (0)
    Remind me again why I leveled Paladin...

Character
    Nawesemo
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Aegissssss..... Almace(mythic if you are able), +2 a set, toss together a good to set, good to gooo!!! Sorta, but for the most part, im in the camp that a decent-good pld who knows hes there to absorb as much of the pain the mob puts out is invaluable to doubtful groups, for clears, missions, and uber hard content, the more skilled and better geared groups may just not need one in the traditional tank roll, dd/panic button onry. It's its uses, and still the most likely to be the guy standing after a nasty tp.

But yeah, has lost a lot of its "we need a pld" factor, but imo are always nice to take along.... For what its worth...
    (0)

PLD is useful for arch ultima and arch omega certainly. Well, we rarely take more than 12 people. With a full alliance you probably don't.

I'd say that out of the pre-abyssea gear sets, the only one that you don't really need any more is the max enmity one.
    (0)

Character
    Aeonknight
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Get an Almace and an Ochain or Aegis, preferably both. The rest is up to SE.
    (1)

Player
    Paladin in Five Easy Steps:

1. Make an Ochain or Aegis.

2. Make an Almace, or make an Excalibur and merit Requiescat if you're really an iconoclast.

3. Congratulations! The job is now useful enough to bother making macros and a collecting other equipment to fill those macros! Do that!

4. Make an Aegis or Ochain, whichever you don't have yet.

5. Accept that after spite of all those hours of effort, your Paladin will only be useful for a half-hour worth of content a day at most. Drink.
    (3)