Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    Dark Knight gives easy access to Stun while having a few melee related buffs (there are mobs that you might wish to Stun, and it is far better to have yourself backing up your stunners in a lowman with Stuns then expecting your healer to not only use a vastly inferior sub but also to be focusing on Stuns rather then healing).
    One of my favorite /subs before the limit break 75+. It made for an interesting way of maintaing hate on those big nastys. Althought it's not called for much anymore, I have seen a few people utilize it when low-man'ing. That being said, I would not be against seeing it's usefulness come up in up coming content.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldous Snow
    When the world slips you a Geoffrey, stroke the furry walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by --She
    that's what

well for starters i created this post so people could enjoy the game and get some opinions on how they enjoy it the most, you on the other hand have all the time to nit pick other 's and harass people on these forms. I dont mean to crumble your would but isnt there anything you can do with all yrou free time seeing as you must have no job or any sort of social life other than putting people down on online gaming fourms. Please then do it else where i dont know what else to tell you but yeah i'll use sange and yes i have kikoku over yoru Rusty'nagi any day.

p.s on a side not but am i the only when they see "WishTittybaby" post quoting everyone and their mom, end up just nto even reading the first three words already assuming his muffin is being dry like usual lol?
    (3)
    Last edited by vixin; 04-13-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Warrior sub is great for holding hate because it pumps out more damage, especially on harder mobs, this sub should probably be your default in party play unless you have a good reason not to (additionally it adds several procs in Abyssea, especially important if you are missing a WAR).
    Good point, WAR is the best.

On easier mobs that you might want to solo, Dancer sub can be extremely helpful for the self-healing, and as an added bonus you get access to a few hybrid abilities.
    Mage friend/mule is better, subbing DNC is doing it wrong.

Red Mage sub has Fast Cast and Magic Attack Bonus if you want to play more Ninjutsu based,
    If you want to do magic damage switch to RDM, BLM or SCH

while having a few things for more solo-oriented play,
    RDM is far superior than NIN if you want to solo magic stuff to death, quit being foolish.

although this is an interesting combination if you are trying to hold hate on a flying monster using Ninjustsu nukes.
    If it flys and it matters your elemental damage spells wont be enough damage to hold hate no matter what gear or sub you're using unless no one else is doing anything.

Dark Knight gives easy access to Stun while having a few melee related buffs (there are mobs that you might wish to Stun, and it is far better to have yourself backing up your stunners in a lowman with Stuns then expecting your healer to not only use a vastly inferior sub but also to be focusing on Stuns rather then healing).
    Learn to tank so you take less damage and your mages don't have to worry about you and they will have plenty of time to stun. I've never had a problem tanking, main healing and main stunning on NIN+WHM. And seriously.....? BLM is the preferred sub so you can D2 yourself when you're done with whatever you're doing.

There are all cases where these can more useful then a bit of extra melee damage, however you have to thing about the situation carefully before deciding. Generally however, if you are in a party, you can't go wrong with Warrior as a sub, it does what a ninja is usually expected to do.
    There are situations where other subs can be useful, but all these situations arise due to bad play style/no friends/no mule.
    (3)

http://www.twitch.tv/wish12oz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/r5n/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Bulrogg View Post
    One of my favorite /subs before the limit break 75+. It made for an interesting way of maintaing hate on those big nastys. Althought it's not called for much anymore, I have seen a few people utilize it when low-man'ing. That being said, I would not be against seeing it's usefulness come up in up coming content.
    Not sure how I missed this with my earlier post, but to respond, /drk isn't useful anymore because the hate for every spell it gives that use to be used to keep hate capped was nerfed, severely. The only exception is stun, all the other spells give basically 0 hate now.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wish12oz View Post
    Good point, WAR is the best.
    This is an opinion. There are other subs and different ways to play NIN other than just pure damage. Just because it is how you play doesn't mean everyone has too.

Mage friend/mule is better, subbing DNC is doing it wrong.
    People do solo things without "mage/friend/mules". You know that right? You've said "Just bring a mage" at least three times now. That's not always possible or always needed. If you have a mule, good for you. Not everyone does. But then I guess we're "doin it wrong", huh?

If you want to do magic damage switch to RDM, BLM or SCH
    Again, there are other ways to play NIN rather than just melee DD. And there are situations where its useful. Hell, its even kind of fun to use other aspects of a job rather than just one. NIN used to be a very versatile job that could do a lot, but I guess now all it is is DD.

RDM is far superior than NIN if you want to solo magic stuff to death, quit being foolish.
    Again, not everyone has RDM. And the reason NIN has elemental magic is so that people can use it if they want. Are you really just here to tell everyone NIN is DD onry?

There are situations where other subs can be useful, but all these situations arise due to bad play style/no friends/no mule.
    I didn't realize that as soon as you needed to do something, all of your mage friends drop what they're doing and help you. Especially if it COULD be soloed as NIN/DNC. And really, the mule thing shouldn't even be mentioned. If you want to go that route and say you're superior because you have a mule to dual box with, by all means, pay double what I do. People without mules can do all of the same stuff if they learn to play without thinking only one way. NIN/DNC would say you $13 a month; but that's your money. Do with it as you will, just don't think everyone else is doing it wrong by not playing the same as you.
    (18)

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    You really shouldn't feed them.
    (4)

Player
    Viewing the choice of subjob in terms of DD potential is irrelevant to this thread. People saying "/war only" are quite outdated or just not intelligent. sure, nin/war is the best option for DD and tanking, but honestly, if you want to DD or tank then dont use nin. sam mnk drk war are all better jobs at both damage and several jobs can tank better for 90% of the content out there. who has ever seen a nin tank or nin DD in voidwatch? nin will die from aoe as fast as any other job, and you'll never see a nin outparse the 2hander jobs. nins are basically a mage in VW, and that should tell you everything about nin/war combo in today's FFXI.

I personally use nin/dnc as much as anything. nin/dnc is what you would use in dynamis farming, and its probably the best soloing combo. violent flourish is also a very useful stun capability that i make use of in all sorts of fights.

other fun subs would be /sch, /rdm or /blu. sch sj is always interesting because you can use arts to bump up your magic skills, allowing for use of sleep etc. nevertheless, all these mage subs are just fun and not useful in any group events.
    (6)

I was dissapointed when SE added lv 80 shurikens that stack to only 12... koga shurikens which stack to 99 and have 8 more base dmg and 10 range attack opposed to 10 range accuracy. SE if you wanted to improve nin shurikens could of at least gave better level ones. /sadface
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuviel View Post
    Viewing the choice of subjob in terms of DD potential is irrelevant to this thread. People saying "/war only" are quite outdated or just not intelligent. sure, nin/war is the best option for DD and tanking, but honestly, if you want to DD or tank then dont use nin. sam mnk drk war are all better jobs at both damage and several jobs can tank better for 90% of the content out there. who has ever seen a nin tank or nin DD in voidwatch? nin will die from aoe as fast as any other job, and you'll never see a nin outparse the 2hander jobs. nins are basically a mage in VW, and that should tell you everything about nin/war combo in today's FFXI.
    It's only a backline mage crap job if you resign it to be. A good ninja can and will out perform someone who is terrible but on a "superior job." I do it all the time when I play NIN in VW, even though I usually avoid it. And damage potential is all that matters to this thread, because that's basically all NIN has. It's a DD with slightly higher survivability than others due to shadows. That's it.

I personally use nin/dnc as much as anything. nin/dnc is what you would use in dynamis farming, and its probably the best soloing combo. violent flourish is also a very useful stun capability that i make use of in all sorts of fights.
    It's nice you like to waste your time in dynamis every day not getting as much money as people playing BST or THF or something else good, but you probably shouldn't try to brag about it.

other fun subs would be /sch, /rdm or /blu. sch sj is always interesting because you can use arts to bump up your magic skills, allowing for use of sleep etc. nevertheless, all these mage subs are just fun and not useful in any group events.
    Sleep spells: Totally more useful than evasion gear, PDT gear and being smart enough to not aggro more mobs than you can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    You really shouldn't feed them.
    I know, I should really stop replying to these people, but I keep thinking to myself "What if someone who doesn't know any better comes in here and see's this?" I at least should try and put the correct information out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Savlyn View Post
    This is an opinion. There are other subs and different ways to play NIN other than just pure damage. Just because it is how you play doesn't mean everyone has too.
    The only reason to play ninja is for slightly higher survivability in some aspects while still keeping damage potential high, for weak content. The only other reason to be on it is for procs in VW, in which case you should still be trying to do your best to make sure the monster dies.

People do solo things without "mage/friend/mules". You know that right? You've said "Just bring a mage" at least three times now. That's not always possible or always needed. If you have a mule, good for you. Not everyone does. But then I guess we're "doin it wrong", huh?
    I'm sorry you can't make friends in an MMO.

Again, there are other ways to play NIN rather than just melee DD. And there are situations where its useful. Hell, its even kind of fun to use other aspects of a job rather than just one. NIN used to be a very versatile job that could do a lot, but I guess now all it is is DD.
    There was never any way to play NIN other than as a DD, except for the very, very short period of time nin/drk was a better tank than pld/nin. Your magic damage is terrible, you don't have refresh, you can't cure, what the heck else are you going to do?

Again, not everyone has RDM. And the reason NIN has elemental magic is so that people can use it if they want. Are you really just here to tell everyone NIN is DD onry?
    Elemental wheel is for damage output at lvl 40-55~ At these levels it is a great way to do lots of damage and was instrumental in keeping hate on the job to tank effectively. Once you get past 60, it's not worth the gil/inventory to attempt to use it for damage purposes. If you don't like it, that's just to bad, because its the way it is. Want to do magic damage? Go level a mage. Until it is adjusted to not be crap, it's for procs only.

I didn't realize that as soon as you needed to do something, all of your mage friends drop what they're doing and help you. Especially if it COULD be soloed as NIN/DNC. And really, the mule thing shouldn't even be mentioned. If you want to go that route and say you're superior because you have a mule to dual box with, by all means, pay double what I do. People without mules can do all of the same stuff if they learn to play without thinking only one way. NIN/DNC would say you $13 a month; but that's your money. Do with it as you will, just don't think everyone else is doing it wrong by not playing the same as you.
    If you make friends with someone, and show them that you are willing to drop what you're doing to go help them, they will do this in return. I know friendship can be a hard concept for some people to understand, but I assure you, that is how it actually works.
    (4)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Learn to tank so you take less damage and your mages don't have to worry about you and they will have plenty of time to stun. I've never had a problem tanking, main healing and main stunning on NIN+WHM. And seriously.....? BLM is the preferred sub so you can D2 yourself when you're done with whatever you're doing.
    Honestly, I don't care how much you think you know about Ninja, if you think BLM is the preferred sub for WHM for warps then I don't have to make the case that you are misinformed, you've already done it for me.

Any WHM worth their salt will be able to tell you what the best subjobs for backline healing are. Black Mage is not one of them. Warp items aren't expensive.

Of course, you might feel that there is a situation where it is better to use an inferior sub for one thing to do something else... in which case you agree with me that there are cases where using the best sub for one role is not always the best idea for players.
    (12)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast