Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Leeching in video games. Good or bad?

Figure its time for a friendly debate about this, since "Leeching" is working its way into end game.
    All i ask is keep your opinions clean of insults.

As most know I dislike leeching. Now this is the art of leeching, I do not hate the players who leech. I find that it is rude to leech because your not contributing in earning the exp, or items you obtain. Your lack of effort makes other work harder then they might want to on a video game they use for relaxation. In the early days of ffxi you got kicked, insulted, had insulting shouts made about you for leeching. Heck go away for 5 min longer then stated you would get people insulting you left and right.

In my personal experience, both past and present, leeching is bad. I seen alliences go from insane exp rates to trickling exp because 30-50% of the party stop fighting/contributing. It does suck joining an aby pt and due to leeching mages.. get no TE. What i'm looking for is proof of leeching being good? How it is helping ffxi?
    (2)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Again, you're talking about an issue that doesn't really exist. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone leech in a Dom Ops party, or any regular EXP party, and the people who do are usually promtply kicked.

What people say when they mean "leeching" is paying for a FC, or hold KI or keywhore. All of those things aren't actually leeching, because you are contributing in some way. It isn't "free EXP", you have to do something for the people who are fighting. That is what almost everyone does and it's the currently accepted standard for leveling your jobs in the endgame scene. Simply being afk during a regular party will just result in a kick. No one is arguing that that kind of leeching is bad. If you expect someone to reply to that you're wasting your time.
    (6)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Martello in Altepa, go!
    (5)

Character
    Shadowsong
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    Your lack of effort makes other work harder then they might want to on a video game they use for relaxation. In the early days of ffxi you got kicked, insulted, had insulting shouts made about you for leeching. Heck go away for 5 min longer then stated you would get people insulting you left and right.

In my personal experience, both past and present, leeching is bad. I seen alliences go from insane exp rates to trickling exp because 30-50% of the party stop fighting/contributing. It does suck joining an aby pt and due to leeching mages.. get no TE. What i'm looking for is proof of leeching being good? How it is helping ffxi?
    The main problem I see you have with the new system is you still consider EXPing as content. Myself, my friends, my linkshell, and people I've talked to all hate EXPing. Exping is the obstacle between you and fun, it's not the fun itself. If i can help someone get a job passed the uselessness, and maybe in the future they can do the same with me, all the power to us. Anything I can do to help others get to 99 and therefore useful, I will.
    Once you realize we do not find EXPing fun, you will realize why we wish to get through it as soon as possible, and dont mind helping others do the same.

TL;DR- If people found leeching to be rude, no one would let people do it. They do, so who cares?

edit: I know you are going to bring up "people not learning their jobs" so heres my retort to that: Not a single aspect of this game takes longer than 20 minutes to become a pro at. Not a single thing. An infant could play this game
    (8)
    Last edited by Shadowsong; 03-17-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Well Acron my recent experience prroves otherwise. I seen tons of ppl afk in the wall of aby worm party. Thats the only leeching I hate, is afk leeching. I don't care if ppl keywhore, or hold KI, or pop items. I've done that. And trust me people let afk'ers leech including the japanese. I found this out 2 days ago when I passed out from a my cold and sleeped for 5 hours and was still in the party when I woke up. And tbh I only made this topic to let people insult me here so not to ruin other people threads over a comment or two I might make.

You gotta admit though. Insulting a person with something that has no subject in the debate is pretty silly. What does my gear... lack of gear swaping as anything to do with leeching?

Personally speaking can't wait for legion. I seen several video and people just try and zerg the mobs. Then a few complained over the fact they got charmed and want SE to remove charm from those hnms. It sorta made me laugh considering alot of hnm still charm and there are ways around it.
    (2)

Character
    Shadowsong
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    And you insulting how we play in every single post you write makes you what? Devil's Advocate? Please...
    (4)

Shadowsong your assuming too much about my opinion, and being rude about it. I never thought of exp as content like questing or endgame. In a sence it is content in the basic term of things as it is a part of the game. I care because I get effected by it, my exp is slower my death is at a high risk because i'm doing the work of many. Add to the fact I just want to play, have fun, and relax because my home life is BS. So pretty much slow exp rates, high death counts losing more then gaining. Ya it can stress a person out who is already stressed out. Full allience of 18, exp rate is 10x faster then if 8 of those 10 are afk. People only level job now a days for procing... which is a bit weird since only 2 events have procing. Abyssea, dynamis. With legion coming out, it looks like you can't proc (based on videos i saw) So what are people going to do? What I see is everyone will cry for nerfing the content. Infact they already are.. video I saw people want SE to remove charm from the hnm.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
    And you insulting how we play in every single post you write makes you what? Devil's Advocate? Please...
    how so? And i say you suck? no. I just said leeching... is rude. That is leechING not leechER. Plus leeching isn't a play style... you would have to be playing the game for it to be a PLAY style. Leeching isn't playing, just being afk while others play.

If me saying leeching is bad and rude... and you find that an insult. What does that make you? And every single post... please. If agreeing to removal of time in abyssea is an insult to you them wow.
    if mentioning exp rate increase is an insult to you just WoW.

I suggest you look up the word as you so far have done more insults then I have. Like saying i was a pink gear dnc. REALLY.... a character I no longer play.... might i add. What is this high school? I'm not waring the in fasion there for I automatically suck?
    Ask questions because making an ((donkey)) out of urself.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rosina; 03-17-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Character
    Bled
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    how so? And i say you suck? no. I just said leeching... is rude. That is leechING not leechER. Plus leeching isn't a play style... you would have to be playing the game for it to be a PLAY style. Leeching isn't playing, just being afk while others play.
    Sooo let me get this straight coming from this statement you made:

I just said leeching... is rude. That is leechING not leechER.

If the act of leeching is rude how would that not make the person committing the act not accountable or rude? is this hate the game not the player kind of thinking? because if that is what your saying, that just stagnates a games community...
    (2)

Just a bit of back story for you guys so you can be in the know.

1. i have leeched befor due to sickness, in most i try to ask. Out of my pov of it being a waste of other peoples time and energy.

2 I no longer play as Rosina, and haven't for a year. Infact my last highest character was Darkfae. Darkfaes last gear set was spry vest, charis hands, hakka hachimaki (aka the +staff one) charis legs charis feet+1 double venrus daggers Charis feather. I forget what else. Atma I used was strongarm and sea daughter. I subed /thf for the heck of it. And i solo'ed khalamari and gangly gean for kicks. I pvp'ed with as a 90 dnc vs a 95 pup who mastered the job, but still held my own.
    (i fight this guy on sc4 and scv he is a master)

3 i'm a ps2 us launch veteran. With having my first year have ultra limited game play (2-4 hours a day).

4 yes I did gear swap in the past, even with the best gear i could get and still never saw a point other then just it taking up inventory space.
    (1)

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast