Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisscar View Post
    I had a look at your sets and this is where I must quote myself: Being elite is worse than being an outright noob.

Do not have unrealistic about what to learn or what to gear Mr OP. Pace yourself and get what gear you can reasonably achieve. If you don't have uber gear to macro into than don't feel embarrassed, and the rest will work out just fine.

Proto, good going on your gear. I hope someday to have gear even half as good someday.
    Yes, because it's easy to label others as elitists when they give suggestions to increase performance.

Now Mr OP, what do I mean by 'be reasonable in gear'? Let's take a look at Prothscar's Ocelomoth Headpiece +1:

It's worth around 5 million gil. Now let us compare it to it's NQ version, worth around 1 million gil:

As you can clearly see the difference between the two isn't very significant and extra +1 agi, dex & def, and an extra +1% haste isn't going to make a huge impact on your life and even without breaking out a calculator you can see the drastic price increase simply isn't warranted and since there is this apparently unknown thing called caps that limits just how much the stats can effect your performance the HQ simply isn't worth getting. Period.

Therefor the HQ can be safely disregarded as 'reasonable gear'.
    Whether it's reasonable or not it's still completely depending on your POV. If you think NQ is good enough, go for it. If you want best performance, do HQ. I don't see a problem to suggest HQ/more expensive items for those who wants to have better performance. Same for gear swap, if you think your performance is good without gear swap, go ahead, but there are going to be ppl disagree with you and refuse to pt with you, that's just the way it goes. Either accept that fact and don't pt with "elitists" or change the way you play, simple.

Since OP is asking about better gear/gear set, instead of "cheap and effective gear", it's fairly reasonable to list the better gears instead of the subpar ones. Of course if he can't obtain better gears, can just settle with 2nd best 3rd best etc while aiming for the best ones. Sure, it's not the end of the world to settle with gears that's not the best(every player in this game more or less use subpar gear on one of their job anyways), but there's really no need to butthurt when someone else mentioning gear swap and listing hard to obtain gears.
    (8)

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Yes, because it's easy to label others as elitists when they give suggestions to increase performance.
    Giving suggestions is one thing, calling them an outright noob for not swapping is a different thing entirely.

Now you look at someone who's not swapping gear and telling them they're doing it wrong than you yourself are 'doing it wrong' in your approach. Like for example, up to a weak ago I didn't swap into ws gear because it simply didn't exist for me. Up to that point I simply ws in my TP geap (at the time of this posting Homam Hand & feet, Mavi head, legs & body +2 plus the same accessories as Prothscar) and got some respectable numbers. My numbers are better now (and I am still missing a few pieces) but I'm not going to start shouting on non-swappers "You're doing it wrong!" unless it's readily apparent they're not even attempting to do more with less.

See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Afania
    Whether it's reasonable or not it's still completely depending on your POV. If you think NQ is good enough, go for it. If you want best performance, do HQ. I don't see a problem to suggest HQ/more expensive items for those who wants to have better performance.
    Not taking into account the cap factor, CDC has a 60% DEX modifier. That means that if you hit CDC and it would do 1000 dmg by itself, you're doing 1600 dmg due to that 1 DEX. That's a respectable increase in dmg, I'll admit but considering such things like the massive amounts of HP that LWNM possess that practically require squeezing every dmg point out it's a drop in the bucket and really not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Afania
    Same for gear swap, if you think your performance is good without gear swap, go ahead, but there are going to be ppl disagree with you and refuse to pt with you, that's just the way it goes. Either accept that fact and don't pt with "elitists" or change the way you play, simple.
    For the most part the change to gear swap hasn't changed the way I play or how effective I am at playing (neither do I forget that I'm playing a game) and elitists don't bother me any.
    (0)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Nothing that you just posted is remotely close to correct.
    (8)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    "People who do not gear swap are imbeciles" sound familiar to you?
    Lol don't take this so seriously Trisscar. Pro may be a hard hitter, but he is direct and honest.
    (0)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Prothscar View Post
    Nothing that you just posted is remotely close to correct.
    I see. And since you didn't address any of my points or provide evidence proving me wrong I guess that means you're automatically right? Only in your dreams.
    (0)

Player
    There was nothing to address. Nothing you posted was correct. Someone weaponskilling in TP gear is 'doing it wrong', and should be told they can improve their performance with simple usage of macros. If they refuse to listen then they are ignorant.

Everything you wrote in the second paragraph shows a complete lack of understanding damage calculations.

The third statement (and end of second statement) is inaccurate and shows you're eyeballing.
    (6)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I see. And since you didn't address any of my points or provide evidence proving me wrong I guess that means you're automatically right? Only in your dreams.
    I was hoping to avoid it since you seem the sensitive type, but since you want it so bad...

Giving suggestions is one thing, calling them an outright noob for not swapping is a different thing entirely.
    No, they're a noob for not swapping gear. As are you. Get over it and improve yourself.

Now you look at someone who's not swapping gear and telling them they're doing it wrong than you yourself are 'doing it wrong' in your approach. Like for example, up to a weak ago I didn't swap into ws gear because it simply didn't exist for me.
    That's your own fault. CDC gear off of the AH is adequate until you obtain more advanced piece and costs under 750k for all of it if that.

Up to that point I simply ws in my TP geap (at the time of this posting Homam Hand & feet, Mavi head, legs & body +2 plus the same accessories as Prothscar) and got some respectable numbers. My numbers are better now (and I am still missing a few pieces) but I'm not going to start shouting on non-swappers "You're doing it wrong!" unless it's readily apparent they're not even attempting to do more with less.

See the difference?
    "Respectable numbers"? Let's see exactly what numbers you were able to hit in that gear. We'll assume an average VWNM or so and that you're subbing NIN like you recently suggested that you do. I don't know what level Almace you have, but we'll assume 90. Since it's a VWNM, we'll assume Braver's Drink, Champion's Tonic and Stalwart's Tonic.

P: Lv99, 117STR, 120DEX, 822ATK, 13%DA, 3%TA, 55% Critical Hit Rate
    M: Lv110, 115VIT, 500DEF

D: 61
    fSTR: 6
    WSC: 68
    fTP: 5.6222
    Avg pDIF: 1.62599342135

Base: 758
    Final Avg: 1293

P: Lv99, 141STR, 162DEX, 916ATK, 17%DA, 6%TA, 65% Critical Hit Rate
    M: Lv110, 115VIT, 500DEF

D: 61
    fSTR: 7
    WSC: 82
    fTP: 5.8096
    Avg pDIF: 1.9053407893

Base: 871
    Final Avg: 1742

Math:
    (61 + 6 + 68) * 5.6222 = 758
    758 * 1.62599342135 = 1232
    1232 * 1.025 = 1262
    1262 * 1.025 = 1293

(61 + 7 + 82) * 5.8096 = 871
    871 * 1.9053407893 = 1659
    1659 * 1.025 = 1700
    1700 * 1.025 = 1742

A difference of 449 damage on average between WSing in TP set and a proper WS set, maximums show even greater levels of difference. 729 maximum damage difference.

Not taking into account the cap factor, CDC has a 60% DEX modifier.
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

That means that if you hit CDC and it would do 1000 dmg by itself, you're doing 1600 dmg due to that 1 DEX. That's a respectable increase in dmg, I'll admit but considering such things like the massive amounts of HP that LWNM possess that practically require squeezing every dmg point out it's a drop in the bucket and really not worth it.
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

For the most part the change to gear swap hasn't changed the way I play or how effective I am at playing (neither do I forget that I'm playing a game) and elitists don't bother me any.
    It has affected how effective you are at playing by a considerable amount, and on more than just Chant du Cygne. Every action you do is dwarfed by doing those actions in TP gear. Expect to be bitched at for playing so grossly inadequately, as it is a major difference in performance.
    (9)
    Last edited by Prothscar; 04-20-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Character
    Kaliyah
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Not taking into account the cap factor, CDC has a 60% DEX modifier. That means that if you hit CDC and it would do 1000 dmg by itself, you're doing 1600 dmg due to that 1 DEX.
    Someones math is defunk since you've somehow come to this conclusion. You're making it sound like the dex modifier it s 600% instead of 60% by this comment alone. I suggest you take a look at BGwiki and learn how to math out projected WS damage. Either that or learn how to do the equation right....cause I can't figure how you even came up with this without putting the modifier in the wrong spot of the equation.

On the stance of "swapping is for elitest" I don't know how you come to this conclusion based on the fact every job in the game has a need to swap for one reason or another. Every job I play blinks in an out from gear swaps based on what I'm doing be it TP, WS, different WS, spell casting, magical spell casting. Side by side to a blu who does minimal swaps (or none at all) my damage easily surpasses theirs for the simple fact gear to increase the potential was put on.

It isn't elitist, it is proven fact that performance increases as you gear for what it is you are doing. You use the analogy that it is like squeezing a drop of damage out, but fail to see that the more drops you squeeze out the bigger the damaging puddle becomes. When you don't gear for it, it is like trying to squeeze water out of a mildly damp cloth compared to squeezing water out of a soaked cloth. If you are expecting a few minor swaps to increase your potential 100 fold then you are looking at it wrong. A better outlook is 5, 10, 15% increase as you gear more appropriate to what you are doing.
    (4)

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Neisan_Quetz View Post
    There was nothing to address. Nothing you posted was correct. Someone weaponskilling in TP gear is 'doing it wrong', and should be told they can improve their performance with simple usage of macros. If they refuse to listen then they are ignorant.
    "They're doing it wrong" is still an elitist statement unless they're not even making the attempt to do what they can with what they have. What part of that do you have problem understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Neisan
    Everything you wrote in the second paragraph shows a complete lack of understanding damage calculations.
    You say this than fail to provide the equations to help me improve my math on it? You fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Neisan
    The third statement (and end of second statement) is inaccurate and shows you're eyeballing.
    Only thing I can do, since I play on Xbox and don't have all those nifty tools computer players have. But I do have a calculator and am capable of using it correctly assuming I have the right equations at my disposal (which you haven't supplied btw).

But hey let's have some fun with mathematical similes to show you just how wrong you are:
    You are in a Chocobo (in this simile a fictional maker of cars) car dealership and are looking to buy a brand new Chocobo. There are two brand new Chocobo, a Chocobo NQ model and a Chocobo HQ model.

Now the two cars are visually identical in every aspect down to the coat of jet black paint. However the Chocobo NQ is 1 million gil and the Chocobo HQ is 20% more at 5 million gil. So what is the difference? The Chocobo gets 1 more MPH, 1 more DEF and 1% more MPG. In your opinion do you think such a very minor performance difference is worth a 20% increase in price?
    (0)

Character
    Lynchilles
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Not taking into account the cap factor, CDC has a 60% DEX modifier. That means that if you hit CDC and it would do 1000 dmg by itself, you're doing 1600 dmg due to that 1 DEX. That's a respectable increase in dmg, I'll admit but considering such things like the massive amounts of HP that LWNM possess that practically require squeezing every dmg point out it's a drop in the bucket and really not worth it.
    This right here just proves to me (and I am confident, many others who will read it) that you have no idea what you are talking about. I would suggest tucking your tail between your legs and running away very quickly. In short: you should stop posting.
    (5)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast