Character
    Arcas
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

Corsair's Marksmanship Skill

This has been something that's always bothered me, while its skill level is not lackluster, it does seem lacking for a job that in recent updates has been urged towards the side of using Ranged Attacks as a way of dealing damage. This can clearly be seen in the Magian trials, or the new job ability Triple Shot, corsairs have been excluded from both the dagger and sword trials - the usual weapons of choice for corsairs to build TP, instead we're pigeon hold into doing Marksmanship trials.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if it wasn't for the fact that our Dagger skill has a higher cap than our Marksmanship, and even still our Parry is the highest in the game. It's as though they had to choose something to give Corsair an "A" rating, possibly not wanting to encroach on Rangers.

I'd love to see Marksmanship raised much in the way that Hand to Hand skills were raised for the Puppetmaster job, I don't really see the harm in it, nor anything that would throw off any game balance from doing so. Rangers still have access to the strongest bullets available, so why not at least give us a few more points of skill to compensate, I mean, we're pirates not fencers.
    (0)

With how limited COR's ammo and weapon choices are compared to RNG and their endlessly cheap and powerful options, that alone should be a greenlight to SE for pumping up Marksmanship. The only thing that Rangers would have to gripe about is that the 15-20 COR's at 90 on their server suddenly get a small boost to R.ACC / R.ATK against enemies, with the potential of bigger WS damage to compete against.

By all means, please consider it, SE.
    (0)

Character
    Bepe
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    The current end all be all marksmenship weaponskill in the game is wildfire (against anything that isn't resistant to fire that is :P). Being a magical ws, it never completely misses and its damage is not based on ranged attack either. Nor is it affected by bullet damage, so bullet choice are irrelevant. With this in mind, we must also consider that cor and rng have about the same amount of gear to use for this ws in terms of MAB and AGL. However, Cor has access to fireshot and with the Af3+2 feet, you can boost wildfire damage instantly by 20%. Thus shooting cors over rngs in this instance. Also, wildfire has hate similar to namas arrow. Not as potent as namas arrow's enmity-, but still very strong. Considering all this, I am personally very content with how close SE has put us to rngs when it comes to marksmensahip.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilzen View Post
    With how limited COR's ammo and weapon choices are compared to RNG and their endlessly cheap and powerful options, that alone should be a greenlight to SE for pumping up Marksmanship. The only thing that Rangers would have to gripe about is that the 15-20 COR's at 90 on their server suddenly get a small boost to R.ACC / R.ATK against enemies, with the potential of bigger WS damage to compete against.

By all means, please consider it, SE.
    The 5 RNG's left likely won't care anymore. Both jobs are largely dead in Abyssea because they lack red and yellow proc skills and have no more DD ability than a THF due to the massive advantage RR gives to 1Her's. Ranged attackers have seen 2H pass them by and now 1H have whooshed past them.
    (0)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Character
    Zyeriis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    These threads on quickly killing my hopes upon returning to the game after quitting about 9 months ago. :/ Corsair was amazing back then, especially mine :/ I could out damage most rangers (disregarding rngs that were completely decked out) when subbing rng. double tapping 1.5k slug shots and finishing with a quick draw double tap for an extra 500 dmg (double tapping slug shot came from sharpshot barraging between them for even more damage) in Einherjar (not against Odin).

Corsair was an animal when I quit :/ (the only thing I was incapable of doing disregarding quick draw kiting was soloing effectively). These threads are crushing that idea, what the hell happened? My reasons for quitting seem like they've come true.
    (0)
    Last edited by Zyeriis; 03-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    In my opinion wild fire makes COR and RNG both amazing. Wild fire has less enmity than a single melee swing from a sam which means that you can literally spam it on RNG. I duoed Ovni with a DRK and although I outdamaged him I did not take hate until I used sekkanoki at the end of the fight. It is kind of disturbing that you have to have namas or wild fire to come close to your damage potential (spitfire +2 taught me how much hate a ranger is truly capable of generating...) but this has been touched on in several other threads.

As a RNG I am not threatened by the idea of giving COR more marksmanship skill (although I must confess I get around lower skill by using sushi for the most part) but like others have said COR and RNG aren't high demand in abyssea... thankfully as a buff job CORs still have enough benefit that you can justify bringing them to events. I think a well geared attentive COR still has the potential to put out some awesome damage (even more so thanks to af3 +2 feet and wild fire) and if you're having fun playing a job you love and you're coming out somewhere near the top of the parse who cares if you're not the #1 DD.
    (0)

Character
    Rosalee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    I'm not going to say that COR isn't an effective DD when played right, but yeah, the dagger skill vs. marksmanship skill thing kinda bothered me as well. Having Dagger at a solid B and then having Marksmanship at a B+ would have made much more sense to me, rather than having them reversed as they currently are.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rosalie; 03-18-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Current Quest Counter: 2109!

Character
    Antaress
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 95
    not being able to do magian trials for our highest fighting skill is what bothers me <.<
    (0)