Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meteor Feedback

Player

Meteor Feedback

If you BLMs are expecting to do amazing damage with this spell solo, think again.

This is with a Lv99 Laevateinn, following gear was used.

Lae99/Bugard+1/x/Witchstone
    AF3+2/Goetia/Novio/Hecate's
    AF3+2/AF3+2/Icesoul/Icesoul
    Goetia/Sorcerer's/AF2+2/AF3+2

Didn't have +7 INT belt around me for some reason, but yeah, gives an idea.

Did another test comparing Comet and Meteor, using a dark path magian damage staff for Comet. Gear's the same in both spells except for the weapon. Obivously ES wasn't used for Meteor this time.

I understand it's meant to be a group spell, and I'll reserve judgment for that, but considering what most BLMs were hoping for, this is a severe disappointment. Talk about incredibly MP inefficient, as it costs 418 MP (209 with Parsimony). That brings it a whole new meaning. Of course, I do speak from a solo BLM perspective here.

Are there plans to make a similar spell meant for a solo BLM to cast to be worthwhile? I'd even be ok with it being light-based. Still better than we have atm as an alternative.

Also, the icon by Meteor indicates it could be dark elemental, but no, that doesn't matter. It's still non-elemental, for those hoping it could be dark. Even still, the damage wouldn't be much different.

Suppose the question is, how many BLMs would want to team up to test this the way it should really be tested?
    (5)
    Last edited by Fredjan; 03-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    WAR, WHM, BLM, RDM, DRK, BRD, SMN, BLU, SCH, GEO, RUN 99

Character
    Laide
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    There needs to be a base damage modification to Meteor for solo use. When blizzaja does more aoe dmg than meteor (used it with full goetia set/omega ring/witch's sash/diamond +6int ring/novio/hectae/ice sashet and Maleficus) on some mobs in abyssea (pulled a pile of mandies in abyssea) while using MM/ultimate/baying moon something isn't right.

Pulled 15 Fear Dearg's

average dmg for Meteor with above setup: 1168 per mob, 3 mobs got 1344 dmg
    average dmg for Blizzaja with above setup: 1512 per mob, 4 mobs got 1728 dmg

So meteor needs to have a base dmg boost especially since its tied to a 10 min timer once it goes on the live servers in my opinion. This is supposed to be one of the ultimate spells and honestly if it went active as is, I'd not use it.

Other way to make it worth while:

1. Don't make it tied to elemental seal.
    2. Make it useable anytime with a 2:30 recast.
    3. Instead of a large base dmg increase, it can be a smaller one (still be more powerful than thundaja)
    4. Make Elemental Seal also increase its dmg along with macc.
    (1)

Character
    Slib
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    That's depressing damage. Even if it was really good with 6 black mages I would probably never end up using it because it is rare if I group with more than one black mage outside of Voidwatch random pickups. I would hate to see a unique spell like that be a waste for solo or even duo.

Anyways, tomorrow I will see if you are on and I'll send you a message so you have another black mage.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Not sure what people expected, it was pretty useless from the moment it was announced that it was ES-exclusive, and especially not being elemental.

I'd still like to see how it works in a group situation, who knows, maybe it will be useful for timed nukes in certain scenarios. That's about the only thing I can see it being useful for right now.

Also, how exactly does group casting work? Will everyone get the new animations, or will there only be one animation, or several different animations, depending on the number of hits landed?

I wish I could log on the test server...
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Apparently the test information hasn't filtered over. Here's the final damage from a series of 7 tests using 6 blms (each using different gear, and varying cast order each time to determine the combination effect), courtesy of Byrth:

Resulting combined damage
    Yes, 60k damage from 6 blms, so an average of 10k damage each by contributing to this spell. This is not a solo spell, but it's far from useless.

Look here for more details.
    (7)

Character
    Frejan
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Motenten View Post
    This is not a solo spell, but it's far from useless.
    With that damage, it's even MP efficient! And of course is the perfect candidate for a Parsimony charge, so...
    (1)
    Frejan from Ragnarok, at your service.

Character
    Alvian
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    and especially not being elemental.
    Don't ask for spells if you don't want them to be implemented the way it was in the games.

The spell is powerful, just not in solo play as intended from the offset (Hello opening movie,) they clearly aimed to block magical affinity for a reason.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeMage View Post
    With that damage, it's even MP efficient! And of course is the perfect candidate for a Parsimony charge, so...
    Parsimony? use Manawell.

Has anyone bothered to test the AoE radius? Is it just the same as any normal AoE spell? Is meteor still subject to -10% damage per target?

Edit: latter question was answered in that thread, and it actually seems to lose a little more damage on multiple targets than other spells.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Judging from Byrth's testing on this, Meteor uses a different damage formula to normal nukes. Even Elemental magic skill plays a factor in it's damage, and INT plays more of a factor in this than other nukes.
    (1)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

Character
    Frejan
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Parsimony? use Manawell.
    Oh! So true, I keep forgetting about that one.
    (0)
    Frejan from Ragnarok, at your service.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast