Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Character
    Roehgaez
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 4
    Pretty sure the posts with upvotes show who's in the majority/minority. But let's get the thread back on topic - let us use our 360 gamepad triggers with the official drivers.
    (5)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    yeah that is the whole point, and it shouldn't be that difficult for them to add native support since they already have partial DX9 support for windows mode
    (3)
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Pretty sure the posts with upvotes show who's in the majority/minority. But let's get the thread back on topic - let us use our 360 gamepad triggers with the official drivers.
    It doesn't really show anything, I"m not a troll nor intending to be one, sorry if it looks that way, but that's not why I come here. I don't post to get a kick out of people's replies, I post because there's something on my mind on a given subject.

yeah that is the whole point, and it shouldn't be that difficult for them to add native support since they already have partial DX9 support for windows mode
    Actually, that's not true, they said they were going to do this but they never did. the game is still directX 8. I remember someone analyzing it and finding that the game was never making calls to directx9 libraries.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-11-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Actually, that's not true, they said they were going to do this but they never did. the game is still directX 8. I remember someone analyzing it and finding that the game was never making calls to directx9 libraries.

the game only makes DX9 calls if its put in windowed mode
    (4)

Controller can control your character while you are typing, while keyboard locks you out of game controls while you are typing. Also, keyboards lock you out of inputting more commands once 3-4 buttons are held down at once (excepting Ctrl, Alt, Shift), while controllers can register every button being pressed at once. For those of us that don't touch-type either, keyboard is way too easy to hit the wrong button when it matters. I have to look at the keyboard to be very quick/accurate about what I'm typing, and I prefer not to play games with a text input device. My hands will wander off of WSAD and instead I'll find myself typing SXZC EDSF 2WQE etc. 10-key is all I can do touchtype.

Thus controller trumps keyboard for me, and I won't play games without a controller on a computer. I don't even know the FFXI controls without a controller.

I don't touchtype because I was always recruited for tech support in my typing classes, and thus couldn't do the assignments. I also prefer an alternative keyboard layout, which isn't so conducive to games, Dvorak. Trying to juggle that and learn the JP keyboard layout just makes me not bother when I'm already fast enough when looking at the keyboard to pass any test for getting a job that has a typing requirement. It's just horrible for reacting to games.

FFXI was originally made as a console game, and I play it mainly on a PS2, so controller is natural to me. The controller layout also makes intuitive sense to anyone that has played another 3D FF game.

Keyboards are for text input. The button layout and shape is horrible for games. Also, the tendancy for controls to be put on the left hand, when most people are right-handed, and so should be put on a NumPad, just makes it worse for me. I can only play Marathon/Descent with keyboard if I put almost all the controls on the 10Key and anything else I limit my left hand to the arrows and Home/End/Insert/Delete/PgUp/PgDn keys so I can't be misaligned. I'd much rather have a controller for the reasonable number of buttons and analog controls, and so I use an X45 Saitek stick for those games when possible.
    (2)
    Last edited by bungiefanNA; 01-12-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Keyboards are for text input. The button layout and shape is horrible for games.
    subjective opinion. There are many games that use the button layout of a keyboard to great effect. Keyboards are great for games with a very large number of commands that can't be easily mapped to every button on a controller.

Also, the tendancy for controls to be put on the left hand
    keyboard controls generally favor the left hand because your right hand is usually on the mouse. Such control favoring doesnt exist if a game is fully controllable with the keyboard. In FFXI for example, under the compact layout, the control scheme is designed around both your hands being on the keyboard, with WASD controlling movement (your left hand controls movement on a gamepad too) and many shortcut controls; and IJKL (right hand) controls the camera and your confirm button among other things. Space, which begins text input, is accessible with either hand.

Yes, a keyboard was *originally designed* just for text input, but over time many games have successfully adapted keybaords for an effective game control scheme. It's not for everyone of course, neither is the gamepad- It's all a matter of one's personal perference. For me, the keyboard layout for FFXI is very effective (in 'compact" mode, at least- using the numpad just feels wrong to me) as I can thoroughly control my character without moving my hands around on it- you just place them where you would normally place them as if you were typing.

I don't even know the FFXI controls without a controller.
    I'm all for people trying both and than preferring one over the other, but saying one or the other is better without even trying it is ignorance at best.

For me, for MMOs like XI, it comes down to one simple fact- it has nothing to do with the control scheme and everything to do with- if I use the keyboard, I only need one device to control the game. If I use the controller, I need two devices to control the game and awkwardly switch between them whenever i need the other device's functionality. For games where there is no chatting or any text input required, I am much more inclined to use a controller. For me though, most of those games are console games, so I don't really need one on my PC much.

I also prefer an alternative keyboard layout, which isn't so conducive to games, Dvorak.
    Controls for games can generally be remapped. If you use a different keyboard layout, you just remap the controls to match.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-13-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    again you are getting off topic, please take your controller vs keyboard discussion elsewhere
    (7)

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Has anyone tried the Razar Onza? Can you use triggers as buttons for that or does it share the same driver as the xbox 360 controller.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by xbobx View Post
    Has anyone tried the Razar Onza? Can you use triggers as buttons for that or does it share the same driver as the xbox 360 controller.
    Not sure. It's compatible with the xbox where you can't install drivers, so I don't think it uses its own on Windows. I could be wrong here though.

I do love Razer's products though. My Razer Naga Hex mouse is awesome (though sometimes I wish I got the standard version, the extra buttons on the standard one are easier to unintentionally press)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-14-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Character
    Ciddane
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 6
    Dang-! 7 pages of Controller Discussion, primarily on the 360 controller. I know that the 360 controller can assign the "triggers" like it's a normal button. That and on the 360 FFXI version, could someone tell me if the "RT and LT" Triggers were used? I don't doubt it.

I'm for more Controller Config support as well! :]

I do use a controller since I love my 360 one and I'm making a segment on the various 'Controls' of the game. Anyone care to help me on that?
    (2)
    Haste in Time - Kupo!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast