Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Character
    Roehgaez
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    For me it comes down to the simple fact that even an ordinary keyboard (many gaming keyboards have lots more) has 100+ buttons. It may be bulkier than a gamepad, but it offers far more functionality. FFXI does not require precision analog movement for anything, thus I don't need analog sticks. the new UI coming soon will solve the problem of the mouse input being totally terrible and useless in this game (at least, I hope). Moving with the mouse in XI is 8-directional rather than analog, it's a really clunky system that makes the mouse useless. If it were improved, I would be using both mouse and keyboard, not just the mouse.

I should point out that XI uses first and third person perspective, which falls under what you say a keyboard and mouse is better for.

"feel" is a very subjective term. Functionality is a lot more important to me than "feel."
    FFXI doesn't need close to those 100 buttons, just as you don't need the analog sticks. People play with gamepads just fine, as it was designed for one - and because it feels better, it is better (IMO of course, as posting on this forum is for). If we were talking about a game that was designed for keyboard in mind, of course it would be superior. But there is no way I can play a console port (which is what FFXI is tbh) with a keyboard + mouse over a gamepad. Even those with good kb+m controls like Saints Row 3 I still use gamepad over.

And FFXI is in no way a first person game - it's a 3rd person MMORPG. Just because you can zoom in first person doesn't doesn't classify it as a first person game that keyboard/mouse is more suited too, it's entirely different.
    (0)
    Last edited by odericko; 01-09-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Let's not turn this into another Gamepad vs Keyboard fight please.
    At this point we both should acknowledge that there are pros and cons in both system and that users will come to like one more than the others.

What's beyond our personal needs and our personal tastes is the fact that in 2013 SE *HAS* to do something about this, no matter what it is.
    Please SE, give us an official answer on this topic.

Please people, like the first post to give this thread better visibility.
    (0)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    FFXI doesn't need close to those 100 buttons, just as you don't need the analog sticks.
    CTRL and ALT + 0-9 > flipping through the macro bar with the dpad. I don't know how anyone with the gamepad even does it, its such a huge advantage, especially on a keyboard with macro keys that seems to eliminate the slight bit of lag in pressing the buttons seperately.

Even if you don't use all the keys as gameplay buttons, there's also the obvious advantage of not having to constantly pick up and put down the controller to type out messages- because whether you use a controller or not, you still need the keyboard for chat. Why use both when just the keyboard can do both jobs?

The controller's primary advantage comes into play with the analog sticks (and in some cases, the analog butotns). But neither of these is really needed for FFXI.

What's beyond our personal needs and our personal tastes is the fact that in 2013 SE *HAS* to do something about this, no matter what it is.
    What do you want them to do about it? Getting SE to update the game to 2012 tech standards is like getting Ford to retrofit the model T for today's market. e.g. integrating xinput into their PS2 emulator or whatever you want to call the game engine is probably easier said than done, and they're busy with a whole new expansion right now. I totally agree with you in the sense that something that's broken should be fixed- But it took 10 years for them to come up with a PC-friendly UI...
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-09-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Hatcher View Post
    Can get a Driver that works wireless, requires you to buy a specific bluetooth card though. Google MotionInJoy.
    I play with a cheap wired ps3 controller plugged in via usb and I am using motionjoy... dont HAVE to have bluetooth
    (1)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Player
    CTRL and ALT + 0-9 > flipping through the macro bar with the dpad. I don't know how anyone with the gamepad even does it, its such a huge advantage, especially on a keyboard with macro keys that seems to eliminate the slight bit of lag in pressing the buttons seperately.
    I think people do it mostly like I do, they use a keyboard for macros, the same one as to type and talk, while doing almost everything else on a controller. Its what I do/did with my Xbox, and now I play PC almost exclusively because I have to use my USB keyboard on my PC thanks to my spacebar breaking on my laptops built-in spacebar. That is the only way I could stand to play on Xbox at all honestly.
    (2)

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Motionjoy has issues. I got it to connect bluetooth once, now it wont. It also messes up other devices on your computer. If you have motionjoy installed, you will not be able to use logitech unified receivers. The software won't recognize it and your keyboard and mouse will be useless.
    (1)

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

Even if you don't use all the keys as gameplay buttons, there's also the obvious advantage of not having to constantly pick up and put down the controller to type out messages- because whether you use a controller or not, you still need the keyboard for chat. Why use both when just the keyboard can do both jobs?

The controller's primary advantage comes into play with the analog sticks (and in some cases, the analog butotns). But neither of these is really needed for FFXI.

What do you want them to do about it? Getting SE to update the game to 2012 tech standards is like getting Ford to retrofit the model T for today's market. e.g. integrating xinput into their PS2 emulator or whatever you want to call the game engine is probably easier said than done, and they're busy with a whole new expansion right now. I totally agree with you in the sense that something that's broken should be fixed- But it took 10 years for them to come up with a PC-friendly UI...

If I had no choice but to use keyboard, i would never play this game. Love the gamepad, only way I will ever play.
    (4)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by xbobx View Post
    If I had no choice but to use keyboard, i would never play this game. Love the gamepad, only way I will ever play.
    Learn it, live it, love it. You're just used to the controller, simple as that. Nobody wants to let go of what they're used to. But once you get used to a keyboard, you realize its better for these games. If your first video game was on a computer, you'd probably be singing a different tune.

I'm going to go over to your house and steal your xbox controllers and see if you quit or not.

disclaimer, not serious.

I think people do it mostly like I do, they use a keyboard for macros, the same one as to type and talk, while doing almost everything else on a controller.
    other than move around, there's nothing left to do but confirm/cancel, so if you've gone this far you may as well just press enter and esc instead of pick up the controller to press whatever buttons you set to do those things. Having to pick it up and put it down constantly just slows you down. And don't talk to me about that little messenger pad thing- those buttons are too tiny to 'type' on with any speed.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-10-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I would love to see a survey. I have serious doubts about any significant number of players using keyboard / mouse only.
    (0)

Character
    Shuffles
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I actually did quit for a while because couldn't get a controller worling. Playing pup and ranger and the constant mashing, i would be all cramped up. I am the other way, I don't know how anyone can use a keyboard. Is it hard to move and do macros at the same time?
    (3)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast