Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    I think I recall this being suggested when leaping lizzy was heavily camped.

I guess they are only like 8 years late. (And miss about 99% of the game changes they should have done with this system)
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We are currently looking into enhancing elemental spirits.
    Miracles do happen!

Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    If I have to go 1/200 on Heka's then so be it. I do not want to go 0/200. That's not cool.
    I think knowing there's a Ceiling to how many times you can open a box and find disappointment would likely keep people interested in going in again. Knowing that if the Random number Generator kicks you in the junk 199 times, but on time 200, You'll give your item, Would keep you going.

Maybe :X
    (3)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 03-10-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Character
    Dew
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    System like this would be great. After going 0/330 on Kaggen, 0/350 on Pil, and 0/320 on Akvan for bodies it's far from being fun. Also going 0/41 on anything that isn't a scroll on Rex also is lame. Random number generators are garbage. Luck should never play into getting drops.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    While the OP's idea might seem great - the problem is once you get all that armor, you have nothing left to do. Then what?
    I got to utterly bored at the game recently, that I'm only level 97 so far. Lots of content left, but it doesn't help if it is all utterly boring. I don't even care about new armors because they are all "Waste your life for a chance at doing 2% more damage every full moon".

If SE dropped 20 mythics in my deliver box, I'd still not play longer than if they expected me to work for them another 50 years.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    We are currently looking into enhancing elemental spirits.
    Miracles do happen!

Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    System like this would be great. After going 0/330 on Kaggen, 0/350 on Pil, and 0/320 on Akvan for bodies it's far from being fun. Also going 0/41 on anything that isn't a scroll on Rex also is lame. Random number generators are garbage. Luck should never play into getting drops.
    Drop rates like those are the reason I have over 600 Voidstones now. >_>
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Yay! Implement this, then we can all bin our THF gear since there will be absolutely not use for TH ever, instead of just for 50% of stuff.
    Uh, this wouldn't make TH useless. It increases the odds of getting your items sooner, rather than later, which is what it already does now. By the time this key item kicks in, you really should have statistically already received the item.

Say an item has a 2% drop rate. You kill it 50 times. Odds are pretty good that you should have gotten the drop by that time. So you kill it some more. Still no drop. Now, you get the key item and finally your drop.
    Now say you bring a thief, and just say it made the drop rate 10%. You kill the monster 10 times, get the drop. You've still saved a ton of time. How was TH not helpful?

While the OP's idea might seem great - the problem is once you get all that armor, you have nothing left to do.
    You say this as if it wouldn't happen anyway without this feature? Does it feel fair to you when your friend gets the drop after 10 runs of <insert event here> but you are still trying to get it 200 runs later and that friend gets tired of helping you? Once in salvage, I got a 35 piece on my first kill of an NM. Another person I know killed the same NM over 250 times before he got it. He stopped truly enjoying the event loooooooooong before that.

Man, you guys really don't get it. The idea is designed so that you have more than enough opportunities to obtain the item normally before the feature helps you out. The threshold for it helping you is set beyond the reasonable number of times you'd expect to take before getting the item based on its drop rate.

Camping an NM for a week for that 5% drop? Acceptable.
    Camping it for 4 months? Not acceptable.

Great. Then we don't need a visible token system. Game records how many times you've killed certain mobs. When you've done it 100 times*, they can force the drop to your group guaranteed. Just don't tell us about it - because there are many people it's going to turn off the game even more than Abyssea managed to do.
    The only way this would have the effect you're desiring is if they ninja-added it, and that's a stupid thing to do. How could this turn anyone off from the game anyway? This is only about ending crap like "I went 0/350 on Kaggen." NOTHING should EVER take that many kills. Period. 50? Fine. 100? Pushing it. 350? Far more people would be turned off by the impossibility of obtaining the item than would be turned off by the assurance that if they keep at it long enough, they will get it.

I don't even care about new armors because they are all "Waste your life for a chance at doing 2% more damage every full moon".
    I think this quote sums it up.

Most people I know would rather be working toward a visible, fixed goal anyway than depending on random luck- Even if that visible fixed goal is longer on average- You feel like you're making progress and you're more motivated to continue.
    (5)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-11-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Hate to say this, but this "token" reward = gear. Is why WoW has t13 (or higher) gear and is getting pokemon because players are bored.
    Everything in that game is all about earning tokens aka badges and spending it on gear. Everyone gets them so fast they burn threw content with in days of it coming out. And when they have a hard time with it, the content gets "nerfed". Pretty much end result is everyone will have the same gear in the matter of days. And will be bored to tears crying for content.

And it took me 5 years of killing/ hunting leaping lizzy for those boots before finally getting a pair. Having random drop rates on things is not bad. Its the wait to fight the mob again that is the real killer. Improve the NM to be more timed based under 30 min with same drop rates. In ffxiv nms are under a 15 min timer, and takes maybe 2-3 kills to get said drop item. Everyone actually complained about that saying it was too easy.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rosina; 03-11-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: addition

Character
    Fupafighters
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    People are too addicted to VW drops lol. There are other rewards in VW, lots of gil, and other decent gear. The idea of the HQ drops were meant to be like the floor 100 gear in new nyzle isle, supposed to be able to get it on rare occasions lol.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    Hate to say this, but this "token" reward = gear. Is why WoW has t13 (or higher) gear and is getting pokemon because players are bored.
    Everything in that game is all about earning tokens aka badges and spending it on gear. Everyone gets them so fast they burn threw content with in days of it coming out. And when they have a hard time with it, the content gets "nerfed". Pretty much end result is everyone will have the same gear in the matter of days. And will be bored to tears crying for content.

And it took me 5 years of killing/ hunting leaping lizzy for those boots before finally getting a pair. Having random drop rates on things is not bad. Its the wait to fight the mob again that is the real killer. Improve the NM to be more timed based under 30 min with same drop rates. In ffxiv nms are under a 15 min timer, and takes maybe 2-3 kills to get said drop item. Everyone actually complained about that saying it was too easy.
    This isn't WoW. Apples and oranges. And the idea here is not collecting tokens, but simply recieving the drop out of pity for those handful of people out there who get shafted out the rear by the randon number generator.

And it took me 5 years of killing/ hunting leaping lizzy for those boots before finally getting a pair.
    Any sane person would have given up after a few weeks or less. You'd have to be even more insane to actually enjoy visiting leaping lizzy for the 1000th day in a row. Random drop rates aren't bad until you're the one who never gets the drop when everyone else has.

I guarantee you if they gave out salvage 35s after you failed to get the item after 100 successful runs, people would not have run out of reasons to do it before the next bit of content came out.

WoW's problem was getting those tokens was too easy. The idea here is to set the threshold to recieve the drop past what the realistic expectation is for the amount of time before you get the drop.. E.g. if they expect it will take the average person 1 month to beat the random number generator, then make it so that just over a month is required to get the freebie. Then, you still have the chance to get the item before that, but you don't feel like you're doomed to repeating the same thing over and over and over til the day you die.

Updated original post to be clearer, because negative nancy party poopers aren't getting it.
    (3)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-11-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Player
    I can't understand the people who are basically comparing trying for a drop to gambling.

The reason that the chance of loss when gambling is so high is that the house wants to make a profit. The reason there is no assure payout after many losses when gambling is because the house wants to make a profit. The reason gambling is often done using games where chance exceeds skill is because the house wants to make a profit.

There is no house to profit within FFXI. You can have the good without the bad.

By the time someone has fought a thing with a 1% drop rate roughly 250 times, that person is not a normal person if he or she doesn't want to just obtain the damn item and be done with it. I don't think the person is flawed or bad in any way but I am very confident that the person isn't representative of the average human.

Assuming this system required a lot of kills, like twice-over what would be needed to statistically see several of an item, I don't think it would effect anyone negatively. Yes, it would be a huge number of kills. This would still give people a definite goal to work for and hope to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosina
    And it took me 5 years of killing/ hunting leaping lizzy for those boots before finally getting a pair.
    And by the time you got them, there were better options you could and should have been using. BA - DUM - TISH!

I'll be here all night, folks. Try the seafood salad if you hit up the buffet. It's gone bad and you'll poop so bad you hallucinate and that's awesome.
    (5)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast