Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

[dev1101] Please add "Don't get the drop X times, get key item for drop" EVERYWHERE!!

Players who defeat the NMs that spawn on floors 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 five times will be rewarded with a key item corresponding to that section.
    Talking to the NPC Berangere at Aht Urhgan Whitegate (L-9) while in possession of one of those key items will allow players to receive one piece of equipment from a list of possible spoils obtainable in that section.
    You guys finally got it right. There's only one problem. This only affects Nyzul Isle Uncharted Region.

In the name of 0/100 NM campers/event repeaters everywhere, add this to EVERY EVENT in the game!!! While you're at it, add it to NMs and HNMs too.

Sincerely,
    Everyone who's ever gotten their butt kicked by the Random Number Generator

Edit: By the way- No, I don't mean "repeat anything 5 times, get the reward." The number of repeats would be set for each content relative to the amount of time they expect players to spend before succeeding with the RNG.
    (31)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.

RNG is great for adding in extra drops/speeding the proccess; but 'tokens' has always been the best system as it's got the feeling of progression. Salavage was the worst(and now VW) as there is 0 progression it's just -- hey hope you get lucky!
    (3)

Character
    Bjorne
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    'tokens' has always been the best system as it's got the feeling of progression.
    B.F. Skinner disagrees with you. A randomized reward will actually keep you coming back longer than a scheduled reward.
    (3)

Character
    Duzell
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Skull View Post
    B.F. Skinner disagrees with you. A randomized reward will actually keep you coming back longer than a scheduled reward.
    Ah but in skinners experements rewards are given frequently at first to enccourage the behavure and then reduced to sporatic rewards, this encouraged the behavure to stick more so than scheduled rewards such as every X number of times. Voidwatch lacks the inital reward phase to encourage the behavure in the first place, otherwise the logic is sound. Quilin is a good example of the skinner method, it has several good common drops and a carrot on a stick to keep you coming back.
    (1)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

><)))°ĸ

It's funny, that I was talking about this kind of things with a non-FFXI friend just a while before they announced that adjustment for the "new" Nyzul.

Specifically something like if you defeat a certain monster certain amount of times you will eventually get the reward, with higher chances each kill for example. Perhaps the percentage on the randomness would be altered, perhaps you would need to stay in the area for that to happen (change areas and it re-sets), purrrhaps you would get a 'trophy item' from the monster and you could then trade them to some NPC who is... uhm, interested about that kind of stuff.

The last part already is in game, the Trophies in Heroes of Abyssea areas.

Sure, random in the extent it is in FFXI makes people use more time in general, but it is not balanced in fairness because the rates are so low that it just can't be fair in the ways that someone will get something in 1 or 2 tries while the other goes 50-100 without.

Sure, if both did 100, they might have the same amount, but that's too much and will not ever be fair/fun\challenging.

I doubt this will much change, ever, but a trophy-system of a kind for all the outside Abyssea monsters would be great indeed. Been thinking of proposing this myself as I have thought of it for years but never really thought it could be possible...

But hey, random of a ride it has been, enjoy the final stretch can we?

Just some blah~
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Player
    I don't like tokens because it makes the rewards feel so insignificant. It's awesome to go 1/1 on something and when you go 1/20 on something, it's great to finally get it. With tokens, you do said event 20 times and that's it. Great, you have the top of the line Body piece. Now what?

Also, RNG gives something for people to keep coming back to. It would suck to have nothing to do with friends in-game once you all have all of the items you want.

tl;dr
    Everyone will do event X exactly Y times, get what they want, and then complain there's nothing to do in the game.
    (1)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

Sfchakan,

That will happen eventually no matter what so I don't think randomness is the solution either (which actually in some cases might bring one the reward actually sooner than later).

Then again, I personally haven't played this game for the game for many years, but only for my friends.
    What that means is, I do things because of the fun, not solely for the reward.
    In even more other words, I try to enjoy the Journey before the Destination.

Thusly, if the event is there for merely a time-sink for us to mindlessly hack on it for the reward and then just quit it, this isn't entertainment any longer, it's something completely different (and yes, I know how true that statement actually is, sadly, even though it may seem like I intend to say it is not).

That, and/or it's just badly designed but hey, who's counting at this point. ·~°;
    (2)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Skull View Post
    If it's not so confounding that you give up... If I went 0/200 on an NM (I know people who have) I'd have probably quit at that point too. Heck I'd actually have given up long before that.

You might stop after the scheduled reward, but you're also haivng more fun while you're getting there because you're not on pins and needles praying for your reward and getting disappointed.
    (7)

It would be nice but I can promise you it won't happen without significant changes to either the gear or system itself to (explicative) and I'm sure we'd much rather the event stay the same rather than potentially gaining less than what we would have originally.
    (0)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Of course it would mostl likely go one at a time on an event-by-event basis but the point is to dream of a time where if you have really horrible luck someone will come out and say "Sorry you've been having such bad luck. Here's a reward for your efforts anyway."

Bear in mind that the number of repeats would depend on the event or NMs. it would need to be set at a number so that the odds are good that you should have received the item by that point. This is just a safety net in case that doesn't happen.
    (3)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast