Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99

Toys: Why Scholars don't like playing in the Sandstorm Box

So we are at level 99 now, but there is still so much room for improvement with Scholar, or at least it seems like my satisfaction with the job could be higher.

This got me thinking, what is it that is causing me to feel this way and I realized: It's because everyone else gets to play with my toys, too. Well not all of them, mind you. I get to keep my shiny Embrava doll and my Kaustra tank, but the only toys that no-one else plays with are the ones that don't work right. My Libra Bake Oven doesn't really turn out right, and it can never make enough for the whole Alliance. I had an awesome Modus Veritas transformer, but then the factory told mommy and daddy it was broken and they took it away. I got a replacement Modus Veritas, but it doesn't seem anywhere as good as the original and I don't really want to play with it anymore.

I have a really good toy called Accession/Manifestation, but I have to share it so much with the other kids that there are even rules on what you can use it with. The White Mage kid gets to play with his Afflatus without sharing. Even the Ninja kid keeps his Yonin, but it's not the Job Ability toys alone I'm having to share! Recently, I found other kids using my Helices! They supposedly 'proc' something and now it's all the rage! Maybe I want to 'proc' something too! I asked the Black Mage kid to let me play with his Ancient Magics, but he wouldn't let me, then played with my Helices right in front of me!

Now, all of this may sound juvenile, but the underlying message is: You've done a great job of making available to everyone what works as a Scholar, but haven't done anything to fix the unplayable Scholar only abilities. Let's work on this list instead of sharing out more Scholar Abilities in the future:

Modus Veritas
    Libra
    Animus Augeo
    Animus Minuo
    Adloquium (this really needs to be 2/tic or have the ability to hit 2/tic with high Enhancement)

Also, consider swapping the levels for Accession/Manifestation and Rapture/Ebullience and unrestricting Accession/Manifestation.
    (3)

Player
    Also, consider swapping the levels for Accession/Manifestation and Rapture/Ebullience and unrestricting Accession/Manifestation.

Anyway....

Modus Veritas - Do what I've said every time this has come up for the past couple of months. Have it used before casting rather than after casting, extend its use to Regen, Adloquium and that future -TP/tic enfeeble, possibly the Animus spells too.

If we're actually getting that enfeeble, give us the damn basic enfeeble spells (and have them work with Accession). It makes absolutely no sense for Scholar to have unique enfeebling spells and be missing Slow.

Increase the range on Libra. How hard can this be?

Add a new ability that is complementary to Libra and the Animus spells. Something like what Sublimation is to Convert, but for Enmity Douse. So our enmity is reduced over time and stored in a status effect, this finishes storing either when our enmity hits 0 (or near 0) or when the amount of enmity stored has capped. Using the ability again will grant a 1 minute status effect which enhances the effect of Animus Augeo and Animus Minuo, giving them the added effect of increasing or reducing the targets enmity by the amount stored (or a percentage of the amount stored).

Along with that, change Animus Augeo to being a +#VE/tic and Animus Minuo to being a -#CE/tic.

Add my Gemini job ability idea, grants the Retention status effect which is consumed instead of Stratagems upon casting. Use this, use Accession and Perpetuance, cast Protect V, Retention wears off and Stratagems don't, cast Shell V, Stratagems wear off. Simple.

Add a new enhancing spell which counters Dispel, base the potency off enhancing magic and have it absorb a number of Dispels before wearing off. To be extremely basic, lets say every 100 enhancing skill it increases the number of Dispels it absorbs, if I have 400 enhancing skill it absorbs 5 Dispels, if a NM has a move which typically Dispels off 6 status effects, its now only Dispelling 1 (not whatever status effect this would grant, it would simply wear off like Aquaviel). Suddenly Perpetuance isn't so crap.

Swap the Augments on Argute mortarboard +2 and Argute bracers +2. Better yet, combine both the Augments effects and slap them on Enhances "Stormsurge" effect instead. Casting weather with an in built Obi effect? Yep.

Add an ability that swaps your Arts without impacting their recast. Main reason, saves a Stratagem on Addendum, as well as saving time switching Arts if its that urgent.

Native Haste and Accession Haste. Go check Embrava, it is effectively Haste at Lv.5 and we can Accession it. QED.

Don't think I missed anything this time, so yeah, my definitive list of mostly reasonable things I'd see Scholar get. Shame the most SE is going to do is nerf Embrava so it doesn't stack with Accession just to prove a point to me. Maybe if I get enough Likes this time they'll do the absolute minimum and increase the range of Libra.
    (9)
    Last edited by Sotek; 03-03-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Character
    Zatanna
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 65
    I know its a bad idea, but it makes me grin to think about.
    (3)

Player
    Anyone else loving Meteor?

Multiple Black Mages casting it at the same time powers it up? We used to have something like that, now it has a 0.5% accuracy rating.

If their comment on Arise is anything to go off though, Meteor will have a 0.5% drop rate off the Voidwatch equivalent of Absolute Virtue and/or Pandemonium Warden. So at least we have that.
    (4)

Character
    Frejan
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
    If their comment on Arise is anything to go off though, Meteor will have a 0.5% drop rate off the Voidwatch equivalent of Absolute Virtue and/or Pandemonium Warden. So at least we have that.
    I'm no BLM, but I wouldn't be happy if Meteor isso rare that we don't get to see it often. I want to see group meteors, blowing stuff to pieces...

...Just don't forget SCH, SE, ok?
    (2)
    Frejan from Ragnarok, at your service.

Player
    I'd rather it actually maintain some rarity. I like the idea of dropping space rocks on mobs, but I hate the idea of every newb fresh out of Abyssea being able to. As a Voidwatch drop it wouldn't actually be that bad, unless the NM itself is a royal pain - which they probably will be.

Inb4 its obtained in a similar way to how we obtained Embrava/Kaustra. Though that said, an actual quest with an actual challenge wouldn't be that bad, better than "Oh hi, have these spells". They couldn't provide a challenge with the final limit break quest though, so I wont hold my breath on Meteor actually being interesting to obtain.

edit: Oh, I just realized, I pretty much posted about half of the stuff in my first post a year ago. Nice to see the official forums working as expected.
    (0)
    Last edited by Sotek; 03-09-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Yeah, I don't understand why Kaustra/Embrava is lvl 5 base instead of lvl 1. And it would have been fun for one or two little Quests to unlock it, kind of like unlocking Avatars on SMN. Something you don't have to do on SCH main that makes it so you CAN have those at lvl 1. Poor Erlene was cheated out of some quests Oh well /shrug
    (0)

Character
    Tandava
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Unfortunately, like DNC, SCH was originally intended as a subjob and SE has always seemed uncomfortable with letting them stray too far from those roles. The most worthwhile abilities belonging to both jobs can be used by people that sub it.
    (0)