Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    While I am not 100% sure whether this would be similar to the Magian staves, I have corrected my original post to just state "magic attack" since the Japanese did not specifically state bonus. I will ask about this and see if I can get a response.
    Thanks. Your effort and attention to detail are appreciated!

It would be extremely weird and surprising if something without elemental affinities were considered a replacement for things with elemental affinity, but the Development Bros can do weird things at times. I mean, there's Magic Attack Bonus on the Black Mage mythic weapon instead of magical affinity.
    (3)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    • Base stats:
    DMG: 35 Delay: 356
    STR+9 DEX+9 VIT+9 AGI+9 INT+9 MND+9 CHR+4
    (Affinity: magic attack bonus +2, magic accuracy +2, avatar perpetuation cost -3)

• Prism staff original stats
    • Additional damage
    • Cure potency+
    • Healing MP
    • All elemental resistances +
    What's the exact limit on stats? 10?

Let's look at each of the effects the staves get (aside from the obvious magic affinity and additional damage bits).
    • Vulcan's Staff
      Attack +10 Ranged Attack +10
    • Terra's Staff
      Physical damage taken -20%
    • Neptune's Staff
      Divine magic skill +10
    • Auster's Staff
      Evasion +10
    • Aquilo's Staff
      Elemental magic skill +10
    • Jupiter's Staff
      Critical hit rate +15%
    • Apollo's Staff
      "Cure" potency +10%
      Charm success rate +15% (I'm not sure if this is part of magic affinity however.)
    • Pluto's Staff
      MP recovered while healing +10

The real question is which of these stats are important to players. For example I could care less about "Cure" potency and MP recovered while healing being on these things because I'd much prefer Physical Damage reduction (very important for just about anyone) and Ranged Attack (important for COR/RNG) being on them.

If the staves ends up being a Synergy recipe this is quite easy to fix since you can just have a few of the effects as an augment that you choose between by using either a NQ staff or two or some other material like a HQ geode (such as Titanite) to imprint an effect or two based on player selection. If they aren't however this means you'd want to make sure the effects benefit the most players.

Personally I think it could work with something like this:

DMG: 35 Delay: 356
    Stats+9 Elemental Resistances +20
    Additional damage (either depending on day/weather or random element)
    Affinity effects

Up to three slots for non-random augments that match the effects of Elemental Staves (augments can be removed to make the item non-exclusive).
    (5)

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Cure Potency and hMP on a Prism Staff would be kinda pointless in comparison to other stats since you can simply swap gear to cure/rest. PDT or even DT (yea right) would be a much better option.

It's great to see SE finally work on a all-in-one mage weapon that's actually good, the Relic/Mythic/Emp weapons (barring Nirvana) do not suit the needs of the jobs in question, and hell this would even make Occult Acumen useful for BLM and potentially even Vidohunir. It's just a shame Magian staves will still be better.
    (5)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90

While I am not 100% sure whether this would be similar to the Magian staves, I have corrected my original post to just state "magic attack" since the Japanese did not specifically state bonus. I will ask about this and see if I can get a response.
    Unless you really really love mage jobs or have an undying passion for the mathy parts, it is a difference that few people know about. (And apparently the Magian staves work slightly differently from the level 51 staves, but someone far mathier than I would have to explain that.) But thank you for checking, we really do appreciate it.

Could you also please ask about combining the Magian staves? I would love you even more than I do already now. <3
    (2)

Player
    Could drop the Stats+9 since those are minor boosts and can be replaced with other things like Ranged Attack/PDT/Cure Potency/Crit+15% etc
    (5)

Player
    I agree with the PDT rally but since they never brought it up, I doubt they want to do that. That said, since magian staffs remain supreme, "what else" goes on these staffs is mostly directed towards the oddities that use staff: BLU and COR. As such, most of the buffs like evasion or hMP are an utter waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Unless you really really love mage jobs or have an undying passion for the mathy parts, it is a difference that few people know about. (And apparently the Magian staves work slightly differently from the level 51 staves, but someone far mathier than I would have to explain that.) But thank you for checking, we really do appreciate it.

Could you also please ask about combining the Magian staves? I would love you even more than I do already now. <3
    This. As for the specifics, they occupy different multiplication terms such that elemental staffs are multiplicative with atmas and magian staffs are additive with atmas. It advantages elemental staffs, but the overwhelming value of magian staffs puts them ahead.
    (5)
    Last edited by Yugl; 03-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Player
    Please let us combine the 8 Mag Attk staves >.>
    (4)

Character
    Warusha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Coming from someone who has 8 mdmg staves, and nearing completion on the 8 macc staves from ToM... I have to say this is incredibly disappointing. Although it's a strict upgrade for melee jobs that used the lv 51 HQ staves, this offers literally no benefit for mages who have been playing for many years. I didn't expect a prism staff to have benefits as high as ToM counterparts, honestly, but I was hoping they'd at least be better than the staves we received however many years ago. This is a waste of the majority of the playerbase's time. I can at least appreciate the humor of the despondency that has always existed between the players and the devs, it never gets old.
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Tptn937 View Post
    Coming from someone who has 8 mdmg staves, and nearing completion on the 8 macc staves from ToM... I have to say this is incredibly disappointing. Although it's a strict upgrade for melee jobs that used the lv 51 HQ staves, this offers literally no benefit for mages who have been playing for many years. I didn't expect a prism staff to have benefits as high as ToM counterparts, honestly, but I was hoping they'd at least be better than the staves we received however many years ago. This is a waste of the majority of the playerbase's time. I can at least appreciate the humor of the despondency that has always existed between the players and the devs, it never gets old.
    It really isn't a waste of the player base's time though. I have to lug around 8 perp staves and a cure potency staff on Septimus, but if I only one one staff for Magic Accuracy and Magic Attack, my inventory will be a lot better off. Same thing with lugging around 8 Damage staves and cure potency on Atum, if I only have one M.Acc staff, my life is better. Since Septimus's other mage job is RDM, I would only consider doing M.Acc staves if I didn't have to worry about the rest of my exploding inventory, but I would never do magic damage because I have Atum to blow everything up. And vice-versa with Atum, I wouldn't do M.Acc staves, so I would still need for the Prism Staff. (Not to mention that it would be a boon for Atum's BLU which cannot equip those sexy Magian Damage staves.)

Making Captain Planet staves for the Magian staves as well would be fantastic. Even if they did Dusk and Dawn staves (Dark, Earth, Water, and Ice for Dusk; Light, Fire, Wid, and Thunder for Dawn) for the Magian staves everyone's lives would be better. I would probably get unlazy and work on M.Acc staves for RDM if I could consolidate them.
    (2)

Character
    Tilemon
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    However, since there are limitations for the amount of stats that can be added to a single item, it will not be possible for this item to possess every one of these stats. With this said, we are working on this with the assumption that some of these stats may be eliminated in the adjustment process.
    I have a suggestion for this, the Prism Grip.
    (10)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast