Character
    Itachee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 8

Returning Player Seeking Knowledge

Hello all,

So I just recently started this game back up again, fresh and all.
    I was just wondering if anyone could possibly enlighten me on how things are done nowadays. The last time I played this was right before Treasures of Aht Urgan came out so I'm assuming my knowledge of leveling, making gil etc is obsolete.

Also I am on Shiva which I assumed to be a good server though I'm not sure which is the most populated/buzzing nowadays.

If anyone could fill me in that'd be greatly appreciated
    (0)

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    This post on other forums is a thread where returning players and others post questions discussing old vs. new, it can probably answer many of your questions about what's changed and bring you up to speed.
    (0)

Character
    Rewyen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 70
    I'll give you the basics:

You'll be soloing the first 15 levels. Then you'll join 18 person book burn alliances. You might get sucked into Abyssea. Either way, you'll probably hit level 50 in like two days. After you manage to find someone helpful (read: bang your head against the wall after six hours of shouting) you can knock out your limit breaks. Maat fight is still rough, but at least the testys allow three attempts now. Then you'll be meriting and collecting seals up the ass before doing one last hurrah fight to break 99. All in all, this will take about a week unlike the old days when 75 took two years and felt like an accomplishment.

After that, you'll start another job, burn to 30, hop into Abyssea and walk out 66 levels higher in like ten hours. By week two, you'll realize the game is a joke, no one speaks, you're constantly bored and will go play Star Wars.
    (2)
    I do not apologize for my sarcasm, I just ask that you have a damn sense of humor. I'm the comic relief, dammit!

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewyen View Post

After that, you'll start another job, burn to 30, hop into Abyssea and walk out 66 levels higher in like ten hours. By week two, you'll realize the game is a joke, no one speaks, you're constantly bored and will go play Star Wars.
    I give it 2 months before he's bored.
    (0)

Character
    Itachee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazusu View Post
    This post on other forums is a thread where returning players and others post questions discussing old vs. new, it can probably answer many of your questions about what's changed and bring you up to speed.
    Awesome thank you!

You'll be soloing the first 15 levels. Then you'll join 18 person book burn alliances. You might get sucked into Abyssea. Either way, you'll probably hit level 50 in like two days. After you manage to find someone helpful (read: bang your head against the wall after six hours of shouting) you can knock out your limit breaks. Maat fight is still rough, but at least the testys allow three attempts now. Then you'll be meriting and collecting seals up the ass before doing one last hurrah fight to break 99. All in all, this will take about a week unlike the old days when 75 took two years and felt like an accomplishment.

Lol thank you xD
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Rewyen is exaggerating slightly on the "by week two" part.

My quesiton though is why is every returning player these days starting over? It's not that hard these days to catch up, no, but still. Why redo all the stuff you already did?
    (0)

Character
    Rewyen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 70
    Well, in my case it was a lot to do with being gone for 2 1/2 and wanting a fresh start. Another big part of it was that I sort of forfeit my account to my ex-wife because she played far more than I did on the character she created on it.
    (0)
    I do not apologize for my sarcasm, I just ask that you have a damn sense of humor. I'm the comic relief, dammit!

Character
    Itachee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Rewyen is exaggerating slightly on the "by week two" part.

My quesiton though is why is every returning player these days starting over? It's not that hard these days to catch up, no, but still. Why redo all the stuff you already did?
    My old account was completely wiped, all my characters included. I tried to reactivate it roughly a year after I first quit but they said it was permanently gone and not restorable.

Well, in my case it was a lot to do with being gone for 2 1/2 and wanting a fresh start. Another big part of it was that I sort of forfeit my account to my ex-wife because she played far more than I did on the character she created on it.
    xD

Question again, I read that guide, and am currently level 11. I have been told to go to Gusgen Mines? If that is accurate, how does one get there from San D Oria? I'll confess I have completely forgotten a majority of this game lol
    (0)

It's the same with Star Wars as well. The mmo genre hasn't really changed much in the last 7 years or so. Though if it makes a difference op, I've been playing since June of last year and I'm having a good time with FFXI so far. There's a ton of content for a new player to keep him/her busy for some time. Most of those posters are probably just burned out of the game since they're probably finished with most of the content this game has to offer, and want some more worthwhile content like they had during their earlier years. Don't let the posters here deter you from playing, go play and see for yourself.

You can go to Gusgen Mines at level 11, or solo to lvl 15 if you like, and stay at Gusgen till around lvl 35 and make the trip to Jeuno.
    (0)

Character
    Itachee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreja View Post
    It's the same with Star Wars as well. The mmo genre hasn't really changed much in the last 7 years or so. Though if it makes a difference op, I've been playing since June of last year and I'm having a good time with FFXI so far. There's a ton of content for a new player to keep him/her busy for some time. Most of those posters are probably just burned out of the game since they're probably finished with most of the content this game has to offer, and want some more worthwhile content like they had during their earlier years. Don't let the posters here deter you from playing, go play and see for yourself.

You can go to Gusgen Mines at level 11, or solo to lvl 15 if you like, and stay at Gusgen till around lvl 35 and make the trip to Jeuno.

How do I get to Gusgen? I know it's in Bastok's area, but don't have an airship pass and literally forgot how I obtain one. Been looking it up but to no avail xD
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast