Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Suggestion: Break the game, SE

There's a lot of poo-flinging that goes on around here. However, there's also a ton of great suggestions that often go unanswered.

I'll grant that, over the years, most people change tastes. There's no going back, and no amount of rose-colored nostalgia is going to recreate an experience. I'm not asking to go back to the days of 2k/hr dunes parties.

I'm saying that the game needs to be broken.

FFXI has gone threadbare. Yeah, people play for friends -- but it's getting to be a lonely journey as the populace inevitably shrinks.

SE, your recent additions and updates keep proving to your players that you don't know where the game's true potential lies.

Yeah, people, in general, will always whine. Aby broke the game, and it was fun. A blm could go oneshot a mob. A monk could go /war and solo VTs without stopping. Just about any job, no matter how well or poorly geared, could go in and get something done. It was fun.

To put it simply: exciting announcement right now is not a spiky red body piece with a tiny bit of str/dex and crit hit+. Multiply those stats by ten, and it'd be exciting.

Exciting won't be a raise spell that reduces my weakness time by 2 minutes, that will be 'extremely difficult to obtain'. Exciting would be making raise instacast, giving whms full-life.

Flying chocobos would be exciting. Adding the ability to call your personal chocobo in every outdoor area in the game, past/northlands included, would be exciting.

Minor upgrades/sidegrades/downgrades aren't exciting. They aren't upsetting. They're completely apathy-inducing. Break the game, SE. I realize that players of games don't make the best developers, but the players overall seem to be saying that they do not want any more piddly half-steps in a meandering way.

You've got a decent bit of nostalgia left. Unfortunately, that currency is wearing thin. One by one, your players will leave, unless you shake the game up, unless you make it alive again.

that is all.
    (61)
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think that I have ended up where I intended to be." -- Douglas Adams

~ Balkanska mafia ~

Character
    Kapao
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I have a great suggestion along those lines too. Why not make the game free and also put a moogle that gives you all the multiplicative gear you want.

Or play on the test server
    (3)

Character
    Uhnono
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Really the only thing I agree with is the ability to call raised chocobos in other than a handful of areas. 99 hasn't been the cap for too long. I'm willing to wait and let the Devs rebalance and tweak the game to the 99 cap even if it takes a while. Letting people full-time godmode isn't the answer.
    (4)

The main thing they are failing on is just worrying more about balance than the game being fun, for all it's faults FFXI Abyssea was genuinly fun and rewarding, "new" FFXI is appaulingly boring, very much about leaving players out of content and horribly unrewarding.
    (19)

Quote Originally Posted by llello View Post
    Letting people full-time godmode isn't the answer.
    Works for every other MMO, so why not?
    (6)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Quote Originally Posted by Runespider View Post
    The main thing they are failing on is just worrying more about balance than the game being fun, for all it's faults FFXI Abyssea was genuinly fun and rewarding, "new" FFXI is appaulingly boring, very much about leaving players out of content and horribly unrewarding.
    Nicely said. I'm not asking for godmode, just asking for fun. Intermediate rewards are okay. Why was aby fun/rewarding? Because you could zone in w/ a few of your friends and get something that was genuinely better than the stuff I was already wearing. It didn't make me godmode after af3+1 -- or even after af3+2 -- but it was nice.

Don't be afraid to jump in with both feet. Honestly, what giant change would happen if we did get a bit more oomph in our moggy bags? The game might be fun to play?
    (5)
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think that I have ended up where I intended to be." -- Douglas Adams

~ Balkanska mafia ~

I think the thing is, because of Abyssea people no longer like working or playing with others outside of a few friends or a clique, not even in an LS at times.

So its not that "new FFXI is boring", its that it's back to where people have to play together, but abyssea spoiled the hell out of everyone, made everyone lazy and unwilling to do anything unless you're showered in rewards for almost no work (Abyssea.)
    (9)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    I think the thing is, because of Abyssea people no longer like working or playing with others outside of a few friends or a clique, not even in an LS at times.

So its not that "new FFXI is boring", its that it's back to where people have to play together, but abyssea spoiled the hell out of everyone, made everyone lazy and unwilling to do anything unless you're showered in rewards for almost no work (Abyssea.)
    Pft. Nine times out of ten, doing anything in aby it's easy to make a group, easy to help people out. Two people at same NM spot will team up. People will come and help to kill a NM because it's relatively easy for them to do so.

Now take that mentality into the land kings camping era, or sky endgame era, or ToAU endgame. Two groups teaming up to take down a HNM? That'll happen when drama torama takes up ballet. Likewise for any NM that was camped, regardless of why it was camped, or how hard/easy it was to kill. People weren't more willing to work together or nicer in the old days. If anything, the intense competition over uber-dorp NMs was more likely to make them into jerks.

XP? Nowadays, xp alliances will take anything and anyone. Back in the good old days, if you weren't a select few, you were likely to wait a week for your xp party, and have it disband after getting less than 10k. People weren't nicer. People refused to party with lol-job of the week. People refused to party without bandwagon-job of the week.
    (15)

~ Balkanska mafia ~

Character
    Uhnono
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    I actually agree rune, I think balance has been too much of the focus lately. But its also very important for a mmo model like this.Wouldn't it "kill" FFXI faster if everyone could steamroll any (relevant) current content? I don't think the dev team, especially the current reduced dev team, could even come close to pumping out abyssea like content at a rate to keep high tier players busy. If players think this is good idea, post some reasons. No offense to OP but you post just says "because it would be exciting".
    (3)

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Once you get all jobs to 99, enable the character to change race into a Moogle.

The last endgame event, reclaiming Tavnazia proper, resulting in the reward of a suit of Magitek armour.

The ability to play up to six characters simultaneously without having to have multiple accounts or instances of the game running (like in single player RPGs).

An armoury where you can store/collect all gear and use it in macros out on the field.

The ability to have a castle of your own. With laser turrets.
    (9)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast