Need some help regearing!

Just like every new comer(or returning player) I'm having difficulty really intaking the sheer amount of gear and everything that's been added. My BLM was always a little underpar(pretty much only AH geared[but all HQ]). Coming back nearly all the blm's I see no longer have any of the gear I'm currently using.

I'm currently using hq weskit, hq staffs, novia, and a mix match of relic+1, ZNM, assault gear and the such.[Nothing 'uber' such as morrigans] Looks like most, if not all, my gear needs to be replaced with the increase to 99?

Outside of emp+2 armor[which it seems every blm wears] what else should I be working towards to 'finish' blm and any good inbetween/easy to quire while I work on said items? I know it's a pretty large question, but I just can't seem to find any uptodate gear guides for blm...
    (0)

Player
    Get rid the HQ staves except for Terra's and replace with the Magian staves.

Get the Goetia accessories, cape is good for the elemental skill and INT when you need minimize resists.

AH has a fair amount of MAB pieces you can look at. Also get the body piece that drops off Caeleno in Bastok VW chapter, its free, looks cool, and has some great stats to it.
    (1)

Character
    Gippo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    When I say "To finish blm", I am making some general assumptions.
    1. Your elemental magic skill is capped
    2. You have 5/5 in thunder/ice potency.
    3. You have "unlocked" all category 2 merit spells
    4. (Optional) LVL 12 in INT. LVL 15 in MP.
    5. You have obtained 5/5 Goetia +2 armor.
    6. You have all damage dealing spells except Comet and Impact.

For All purpose nuking you will need:
    LVL 99 Magian dmg. path staff (Thunder,Blizzard,Fire, Dark for the upcoming Meteor)
    Wizzan Grip or Elder's Grip (Varies by your wallet)
    Memoria Satchet or Witchstone (Varies by your wallet) . Aureole is also acceptable.
    Stoicheion Medal AND Artemis' Medal (Artemis' Medal is MAB +10 on full moon)
    Novio Earring/Hecate's Earring
    Strendu Ring/Sorcerer's Ring (Archon Ring will replace Strendu ring for Meteor casting)
    Searing Cape
    Oneiros Sash or Cognition Belt(Varies by your wallet)
    *Oneiros Headgear - this is optional, but it is indeed marginally better than Goetia Petasos +2.

For matching element of the day you will need:
    Zodiac ring/Sorcerer's Ring.
    Twilight Cape.
    Matching Sea Obi.
    Sorcerer's tonban

For matching weather only:
    Twilight cape
    Matching sea obi

Totally Optional (Magic Burst Setup)
    Remove Strendu Ring, Equip Mujin Band, Keep Sorcerer's Ring on.
    Sorcerer's Gloves
    Menhit Leggings
    Static Earring (Keep Novio on.)

**Healing MP sets will make a comback with Legion. Start thinking about this as well.
    **PDT is a set you may want to look into also. However, just note that when you pull hate, one of 2 things is happening: - either you are overnuking, or your DD's/tank is under performing. Unless the idiot blm next to you is pulling the mob your way, you really wont need a PDT set unless you are kiting, and those situations arent as common in today's game.

**Comments in response to previous poster - That body from Caeleno is crap for blm. Do not waste your time getting it. Do not worry about the Goetia mantle. Get Searing off Turul.
    (3)
    Last edited by Gippo; 03-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Character
    Sargent
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gippo View Post
    Oneiros Headgear - this is optional, but it is indeed marginally better than Goetia Petasos +2.
    It's more than marginally better, it destroys Goetia +2 outside of highly resistant mobs. Also worth noting that if you can't get your hands on Onerios (it is from the Arch Windurst Boss), Zenith Crown +1 is also a noticable improvement over Goetia +2 (can get MAB+5 augmentted onto it).

Quote Originally Posted by Gippo View Post
    Comments in response to previous poster - That body from Caeleno is crap for blm.
    Correction: it is crap for nuking. It is good for:
    a) Beginning to cast spells (Fast Cast +10)
    b) Phalanx
    c) Elemental DoTs (damage per tick is affected by your INT)

Also worth noting with the Empryean +2 Armour, while it is all useful in their own respect, outside Abyssea none of them are "the best" for nuking.
    Head is good for Elemental DoT, precasting spells ans nuking High Resist mobs. Onerios, Zenith+1, Tethyan/Nares will beat it for nuking (even NQ Tethyan).
    Body for Idle (2/tick Refresh). Nares body will beat it for nuking, although it's a Neo Nyzul F100 drop.
    Hands for Douse. Nares Cuffs will beat them (again, F100 onry).
    Legs have been beaten by AF2+2 outside Abyssea (albeit very marginally), and Augmentted Valkryie's in General (MAB+4 augment ontop of the MAB+5 on them). Still use if you plan on abusing the cumulative effect on ja spells/Comet.
    Feet for Mana Wall, Tethyan+3/Nares will top them for nuking.
    (2)
    SMN99/SAM99/DNC99/PLD99/THF99
    Summoning magic skill: 545
    Hvergelmir 90