Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Please keep in mind that Araise will be extremely difficult to obtain. As such, it is highly unlikely that every white mage will learn Araise.
    It seems like that's what all new content is now. When do we start getting content again that the average player is expected to be able to do?
    (1)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalilla View Post
    I say to you, why? Why should you be so concerned that the elitist scum of this game rejects you from their precious groups? You should be thankful that you don't have [insert spell/weapon/armor here].
    If their strategy is build around dying odds are they suck too.
    (5)

Player
    Point 1. It will definitely become a "must have" spell for WHM because that's simply how the player base is. When something that will essentially make every fight in the game faster (-2 mins of weakness), players will become used to having this and make it as a part of their strategy. It happens all the time, with everything in this game. X item is released, everyone thinks X is too hard, and only some people will get it. People get X, and parties start to get used to people with it, so people without it aren't considered good players any more. Give it a few months, tops. It happened when Abyssea was released with Empys and AF+2 (ON SPECULATION purely, people assumed that most of the "normal players" would never get +2 or Empys, but look at what is considered "good" nowadays- i.e. VW shouts that say "Emp DDs only".)

Point 2. I'm glad this is going to happen. If its a scroll, I'm selling it. It means that since I leveled my WHM in Abyssea and am 99% of the time forced to play that job in shout groups & LS events, both of those groups will want a WHM who does have Arise. I would much rather have someone else healing me so that I can play a job that I like, not just one that I'm good at. In short, glad its going to be hard because this means that the people who do like WHM and want to be the best they can be will have something that is preferred and to be able to gloat about.
    (0)

Player

l o l

First of all:

Quote Originally Posted by Economizer
    If their strategy is build around dying odds are they suck too.
    This, for the love of god, this.

Strategies shouldn't depend on deaths/'lower' weakness timers, anyway. That alone is doing it wrong. The point is to avoid it altogether -that's kinda the point of bringing WHM in the first place, to avoid deaths by having proper healing. However, deaths will happen no matter what, stuff happens sometimes that even the most skilled White Mages may not be able to deal with entirely.

Singling out a White Mage that doesn't have this spell is stupid in my opinion. I can understand things like Erase back in the day, and I understood lack of Raise III when people actually had to.... GASP .... work for experience points, nowadays, it's just an extra Raise spell as exp loss is meaningless in 2012. Will you want a WHM with Arise (I don't care if it's Araise, I'm calling it Arise because it makes more sense)? Of course. Refusing to bring one because they don't have it... I'd rather not go, anyway. I already view it as a "niche" spell. I'd be more upset if a White Mage didn't have status removal spells (I've seen some level 99 White Mages use a Cursna scroll..............), or even their top tier cures. That is worth not letting one into your group.

And as Camate mentioned, Arise is going to have a longer recast timer than the other Raises. For example, say you're recovering from a full wipe... the point of doing that is to recover as fast as possible, and that means using all of your raise spells as recast timers permit. If anyone asks for Arise only, they'll just delay the group, as relying on Arise alone to do that in a situation like that only wastes more time, whereas using all of your raise spells will recover people "faster" in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Please keep in mind that Araise will be extremely difficult to obtain. As such, it is highly unlikely that every white mage will learn Araise. Also, we plan on making the MP consumed higher and recast timers longer compared to Raise, although we are still in the development stage. With that in mind, although Araise does have the advantage of a shorter weakened state, Araise will never serve as an almighty spell that renders all other spells useless.
    First of all, I like that it's going to be difficult, kinda like a status symbol, if you will. I can already read this and expect Meteor to get the same treatment on Black Mage, but alas, that's a different topic altogether.

Secondly, as other White Mages are curious of, why is it called "Araise"? "Arise" makes more sense and sounds better. I'd like to know the development team's reasoning beyond the naming.
    (2)
    WAR, WHM, BLM, RDM, DRK, BRD, SMN, BLU, SCH, GEO, RUN 99

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    First of all, I like that it's going to be difficult, kinda like a status symbol, if you will.
    Status symbols are worthless if they aren't useful. I really hope they don't nerf this to appease the "we want it to be easy to get because it is a scroll" crowd. I'm pretty sure they're dead set on making it harder to get compared to other scrolls and that's not bad, but it won't be good if the spell sucks as a result. Either make it worth the effort to get it or don't bother.
    (3)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    Status symbols are worthless if they aren't useful.
    Objective worth, sure. Subjective worth you can't judge. Some people are just in it for the rarity or completion, and to them it would be a valuable item, regardless of its effect.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Objective worth, sure. Subjective worth you can't judge. Some people are just in it for the rarity or completion, and to them it would be a valuable item, regardless of its effect.
    This

Some things people just want to have a challenge to get, and when it comes to scrolls there aren't very many rare scrolls in this game. Some people just like to have a challenge, and Arise is just a perk spell so I'm perfectly fine with it being rare.
    (5)
    Last edited by Kalilla; 02-19-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalilla View Post
    This

Some things people just want to have a challenge to get, and when it comes to scrolls there aren't very many rare scrolls in this game. Some people just like to have a challenge, and Arise is just a perk spell so I'm perfectly fine with it being rare.
    I can describe this argument in one word: GARBAGE.

This obsession with rarity--in a video game, mind you--for the sake of status has always been ridiculous in my view. Why S-E (or, more specifically, team Tanaka) continues to cater to clowns who get off on looking down on people who aren't as "hardcore" as they are is beyond my understading at this point.

If there are a series of exploration quests needed, well and good. Requiring a series of HNM drops or making it a sub-1% drop from one is a bridge too far. But I doubt this point will sink into the heads of those who see themselves as a 10th-degree Black Belt in FFXI and disciples of Matser Tanaka.
    (3)
    Hayward: Cerberus-San d'Oria

5/5 +1: Cirque [4/5], Tantra [4/5], Ferine [4/5], Estoqueur's [1/5], Sylvan, Navarch's [1/5], Savant's, Orison [1/5], Charis [2/5]

5/5 +2: Creed, Caller's, Unkai, Iga, Raider's, Lancer's, Mavi, Ravager's, Goetia, Bale, Aoidos'

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredjan View Post
    First of all, I like that it's going to be difficult, kinda like a status symbol, if you will. I can already read this and expect Meteor to get the same treatment on Black Mage, but alas, that's a different topic altogether

A status symbol? Do you really care that much about what a bunch of game/anime/computer/sci-fi nerds from across the globe (like me) think of you that you'd put yourself through potentially years of crap just to have something to show off to them? Are your friends going to think more of you if you have it or less of you if you don't?

Sorry if I'm being mean, but it's this whole "status symbol in a video game" mentality that ends up making games like this not nearly as fun as they should be.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
    I can describe this argument in one word: GARBAGE.
    I could describe you with one word: idiot. But wait, there's more! It's not just a random insult because I'm butthurt (like several of your posts), I actually have a good argument to back up my statement:
    This obsession with rarity--in a video game, mind you--for the sake of status has always been ridiculous in my view. Why S-E (or, more specifically, team Tanaka) continues to cater to clowns who get off on looking down on people who aren't as "hardcore" as they are is beyond my understading at this point.
    That's the argument: you admit it yourself. You admit that you're incapable of following our thought processes. Since our thought process is as simple as "I like it", it speaks volumes of your mental capacity, or rather lack thereof.

But I doubt this point will sink into the heads of those who see themselves as a 10th-degree Black Belt in FFXI and disciples of Matser Tanaka.
    I know you doubt it, again, because you're an idiot. You don't seem to understand that there's more than black and white, that there is no such thing as "master Tanaka". People love to scream white knight on here when anyone is saying anything that contradicts their opinion, those people are usually the ones too stupid to realize that it's just what it is, an opinion.

Let me ask you a question, though. Have you ever played a single-player game? If so, did you beat it? If yes, why? What did you get from it? The end boss didn't drop an amazing item you wanted, right? Obviously, because the game was over then. So why do it? Maybe for the accomplishment?

You'll argue that this is different because of some retarded reason, but it's not, it's the exact same thing. Why do you think people are doing WotG missions? To get that horribly broken earring at the end? Fuck no, they're doing it to have it finished, because that's part of the game, getting achievements.

Let me ask you another question. Assume you get the ultimate end item in the game (a weapon with 5 delay and 999 damage, for example). Now what? Are you done with the game? Are you gonna quit? Or help everyone else to get it so you can all quit together? Is items and gear really the only thing you're striving for? What for? What's the ultimate purpose? Because it's an achievement. The exact same thing we're asking for.

Regardless, the fact is you simply cannot understand other peoples' motivation to play the game. You insult everyone who disagrees with you, and even worse, you accuse them of "team Tanaka", because obviously everyone who disagrees with your divine opinion is a soulless creature who wants to devour the game. You're arrogant, assuming your opinion is worth more than others', and ignorant, not realizing your mistakes and not even your own incompetence, and that's one of the worst combinations of human characteristics one can have.
    (4)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast