Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Wolfemasters
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99

PLD tanks Vs. MNK tanks *Ding* FIGHT!

With the introduction of Abyssea and HP atmas, PLD are by far one of the worst jobs for tanking now. Give me a MNK with a few HP atmas, put them over 3k HP with cruor buffs and guess what, that PLD looks like a little kid pretending to be a superhero.

Can we please do something about this? I used to love leveling my PLD, but as soon as Abyssea came out, MNK became the best job for tanking something. Even the best geared PLD I have seen could not hold their own against even a lolpinkMNK with the right atmas.

How many ways can a PLD draw hate? A few buffs from other jobs, full enmity merits (not the best choice if you ever plan on leveling other jobs that need less enmity). Provoke, which sadly does just about nothing anymore, and it is not even an ability that PLD know naturally!

Come on guys. Work with the PLD's here. How about a job ability that gives the old classic Japanese *tugs on an eye and sticks out the tongue for a raspberry*. Might be too comical, but if it worked, I'd spam the snot out of it whenever possible.
    (0)
    "Love thy wolf, more than thy neighbor." ~ W. Masters
    "I'm sorry if you don't like me, but I'm not sorry for being who I am." ~ W. Masters
    "There's nothing wrong with being wrong." ~ W. Masters

Quality of Life Ideas & More:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/43689-Quality-of-Life-Ideas-More

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    With the introduction of Abyssea and HP atmas, PLD are by far one of the worst jobs for tanking now. Give me a MNK with a few HP atmas, put them over 3k HP with cruor buffs and guess what, that PLD looks like a little kid pretending to be a superhero.

Can we please do something about this? I used to love leveling my PLD, but as soon as Abyssea came out, MNK became the best job for tanking something. Even the best geared PLD I have seen could not hold their own against even a lolpinkMNK with the right atmas.

How many ways can a PLD draw hate? A few buffs from other jobs, full enmity merits (not the best choice if you ever plan on leveling other jobs that need less enmity). Provoke, which sadly does just about nothing anymore, and it is not even an ability that PLD know naturally!

Come on guys. Work with the PLD's here. How about a job ability that gives the old classic Japanese *tugs on an eye and sticks out the tongue for a raspberry*. Might be too comical, but if it worked, I'd spam the snot out of it whenever possible.
    What the main issue is that, The only way to make paladin a viable class is to upgrade it to a point that would be on par with DD classed jobs. And as i'd say most of the players would say "would make other jobs useless" or "Why do things to buff one job and make up to 6 others less useful."

I totally disagree with those pathways of understanding.

FFXI is a Major PvE game, and you can clearly look at the classes in the game and know out of 20, there are less than 10 that are the main use in the game overall. That being the case, there isn't a lot of job balance (like in games such as WoW) however that is fine, as the game isn't about balance among players (since this isn't a PvP heavy game.)

Make Paladin more useful, surely a welcome idea. would other DDs be less useful? Not at all.

Paladin becoming a DD type class (in general sense) would allow it come out from it's "useless" shell into something more playable. of course I do not think it should do damage at the levels of MNK, DRG, DRK or SAM. Since those are 2h weapon type classes (H2H is 2h in a odd way).

But sword is the second best 1h weapon in the game (only under Axe) and Paladins have a A+ rating on it, so why shouldn't they be able to do major damage with it? I started the PLD modifcation thread to give ideas of how to adjust paladin without having to do anything wild, at least for a start. Modifying abilities to make paladin stand out better, and to give them abilities that would be useful for them that other jobs have (IE. Counter for Pld) That idea isn't that wild as Dnc and Thf got their own DW traits to use.
    (0)

Character
    Tigerwoods
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

So, let's say PLD gets all this stuff you want and can hold hate off of every job in the game, consistently. Then what?

As long as the mnk can still hold hate off the mage and not die, using the mnk to tank is going kill mobs faster than using the pld tank.

There's still no reason to use a pld.

Until a monk can't hold hate off a mage in a situation a pld can or a mob comes up that mnk can't survive against where a pld can, there's no reason to use a pld tank, regardless of whether or not they can generate more enmity than a monk.
    (0)

I think the jobs should keep their original roles. Give the tank the ability to hold hate and take the damage as originally designed and free up the DDs to equip and upgrade to do max dmg as they were originally designed and the mobs die faster.
    SkyMcCloud
    (0)

Character
    Wolfemasters
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream_Soda View Post
    There's still no reason to use a pld.
    That is exactly the point I am trying to get across. There is no reason to use PLD anymore. The tank job is now useless.
    (0)
    "Love thy wolf, more than thy neighbor." ~ W. Masters
    "I'm sorry if you don't like me, but I'm not sorry for being who I am." ~ W. Masters
    "There's nothing wrong with being wrong." ~ W. Masters

Quality of Life Ideas & More:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/43689-Quality-of-Life-Ideas-More

Character
    Jager
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 90
    It's either SE needs to
    -Bump up PLDs ability to attack on par with the DDs (might never happen)
    -Up their life-expentancy against high level NMs (which then people will still favor shadow tanks)
    -Nerf the shadow tanks (this is going to get flaaaamed)

If they make a normal monster unable to be shadow tanked, as if they can see right through shadows or Seigan tanking, it would breathe some life back into PLDs to tank again.
    (0)
    "I find bliss in ignorance. Less I hear the less you'll say. But you'll find that out anyway."
    - Linkin Park (Dedicated to all the trolls and flamers out there)

Yes, Pld defensive abilities need to go throught the ceiling. My point was that DDs should not be able to tank. The jobs have been taken outside of their original roles. Defensive ablilities of DDs need to be gimped.
    (0)

Character
    Cero
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Gimping other jobs is never a good solution.
    (0)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by JagerForrester View Post
    It's either SE needs to
    -Bump up PLDs ability to attack on par with the DDs (might never happen)
    -Up their life-expentancy against high level NMs (which then people will still favor shadow tanks)
    -Nerf the shadow tanks (this is going to get flaaaamed)

If they make a normal monster unable to be shadow tanked, as if they can see right through shadows or Seigan tanking, it would breathe some life back into PLDs to tank again.
    Shadows don't have much to do with tanking any more... it's more about the counter.
    (0)

Character
    Martel
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Well.. If SE wanted to be reeeeallly obnoxious, they could implement all the new NMs with Ironclad melee mechanics. AoE, shadow wiping, classified as WS(and thus uncounterable), melee hits. Hmmm, I'd laugh so hard if they actually did that.

But really, for abyssea content at least, even that would matter. Unless they hit incredibly hard(along with some nasty multi-hit) you'd just bring a bit of extra healing, and keep on with the High HP DD tanks.
    (0)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast