Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulrogg View Post
    Before the skill up update I would wait till Martial master was up and do the math (divide current skill by three) and aim for mobs that are that level. I gathered all the mandies in jungle that I could and watched the skill go up as mandies killed themselves on counter.

But since the update I haven't tried. I focused more on capping weapons and haven't gone back for guard yet. So I am uncertain if the update nerfed doing it that way.
    This is my point, TBT isn't giving as much skill points as it used to. Mourioche's are level 62-68 and they give barely any skill points, the Recluse spider in Kuftal tunnel are 63-66. my skill is 207, 207/3 = 69... So why did I get 0.8 skill points in less than 5 minutes on a spider, and why don't I get anything from mandies?

Is it possible the ratio has changed? Also, Martial master wasn't even one of the kupowers when I got skill points from the spider, so if it was set as a kupower, how many skill points would I have gained?

Just a little food for thought.
    (0)
    Guarding 207 - Goldsmithing 30 - Cooking 30 - Smithing 30

Maybe it's time to stop killing mandy's...

Player
    First off, mnk obtains 207 guard at level 61. Secondly, The Korrigan in TBT are 72-75. You should be able to go 260+ in TBT. Remember to use as much guard skill + gear as you can. You want to have guard skill as far beyond that what would correspond to the level of the mandies as you can (So for Korrigans i would shoot for nothing less than 280).
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Protey View Post
    First off, mnk obtains 207 guard at level 61. Secondly, The Korrigan in TBT are 72-75. You should be able to go 260+ in TBT. Remember to use as much guard skill + gear as you can. You want to have guard skill as far beyond that what would correspond to the level of the mandies as you can (So for Korrigans i would shoot for nothing less than 280).
    Interesting, 207 @ 61 means the correct math would be to divide your current skill by 3.35 for the correct level, that makes a big difference.
    63x3.35 = 211, so spiders in kuftal would be the right area for my level. That explains alot! Thanks^^
    (0)
    Guarding 207 - Goldsmithing 30 - Cooking 30 - Smithing 30

Maybe it's time to stop killing mandy's...

Player
    it varies according to which job and skill you are leveling. But for the most part it's 3 skill levels until 50, then 5 skill levels until 75
    (0)

Character
    Justal
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 95
    Thank you Protry for beating me to replying to his failed skill mathmatics. To Mushashi, the skills for differently ranked skills increases at set levels. as Protey said it starts at 3/level then 5/level @50 then 4/level@60 then back to 5/level @70 then goes to 6/level at 80.

Edit:For further help in this matter i have gone into wiki and added the level by level break down for guard under the skill cap section for Monk placed here: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Skill_Caps/Monk
    (0)
    Last edited by Justalphoeni_x; 03-21-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    95BLM,95MNK,95PLD,95WAR,55SCH,50DNC,49RDM,49SAM,49NIN,49THF,
    49WHM,37BLU,41DRK,37SMN,37RNG,37BRD,29COR,20DRG,21PUP,26BST
    [Points spent] General Merits: 179
    MNK Merits: 74
    PLD Merits: 50
    BLM Merits: 08
    WAR Merits: 74
    Total: 385

Character
    Sakima
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    With higher skill, Abyssea skill ups will be your best option dunno how you can negate that
    (0)

Character
    Tekkenooo
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I think why most people do no wanna use stones for make skill up, and i quote this ^^. When i have end to download last update, when SE tell that change level for skill up, i'm go to Den of Rancor, Puk(Mandy) 74-77, to try skill up, i got a good guarding skill 269, i take 2 mandy, no skills, i take 3 many, no skills, i take 4 mandy, no skills... i take 6 mandy (why 1 link) i'm die why make 4 or 5 critical hit on my and before last hit i got a 0.3 skill up O.o
    Now i have read that on next update make correction on guarding and parrying skill up so... i think they are a little problem more inside... XD so pls... wait next big update and the we go recheck it ^^
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakima View Post
    With higher skill, Abyssea skill ups will be your best option dunno how you can negate that
    yes with higher skill, but the OP has 207 guard...that is way too low for abyssea.
    (0)

Character
    Shokox
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I'm sorry Protey, but you have it very wrong on skilling up. While 207 is indeed low for Abyssea, if you know what you are doing, you can skill up guard relatively fast in Abyssea. This however requires a WHM friend, or a WHM mule and a decent amount of stones.

I was 103 Guard before the skill up update, and now I'm 197 Guard. I usually get 5~15 levels per skill up session, usually more when the mandies are DC~EM, rather than T~IT. This is all in Abyssea - Attohwa. This also happened in a little under a week, while doing LS events, RL, etc. Futhermore my skill up sessions are usually 30~70 mins.

When servers are back up, I will probably cap both Guard for MNK, and Parrying for NIN with my excess stones, it's an amazing way to cap skills that not many are aware of yet.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shoko; 03-22-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added more info.

Character
    Shokox
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Also, I will add that you must pull at least 60~100% of the mandies to pull this off. Hence the reason for the WHM.

1) PDT gear, and PDT atma to reach 50%.
    2) WHM sneaks up, uses Sublimation (to negate Dream Flowers) and puts you on follow, cure bombing you with Cure V/VI as you take hits.
    3) You run around and simply aggro all of the mandies you can find (no JAs to claim), then wedge yourself in a narrow crevice, or behind a wall, and let the mandy army simply beat the mess out of you as you kill them one by one slowly (in Guard+ gear) while your WHM cure bombs you.

This shoots up the attack rounds vs your character (hundreds to thousands of mandy attack rounds directed at your character) so high, guard procs very decently eventually, and you get 0.4s and 0.5s often.

I used this old skill up video as a guide and updated it to this Abyssea "standard":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5rA_xZKWU

PS: I also tried parrying for the fun of it in-between and did 243 -> 247 skill within literally 5 mins. Might have been luck, lol.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shoko; 03-22-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast