Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
    My question is why didn't they make the reward system something like this:
    Floor 20 Boss: 75% NQ, 20% +1, 5% +2
    Floor 40 Boss: 10% NQ, 50% +1, 30% +2, 10% +3
    Floor 60 Boss: 10% +1, 50% +2, 30% +3, 10% +4
    Floor 80 Boss: 10% +2, 50% +3, 30% +4, 10% HQ
    Floor 100 Boss: 30% +4, 70% HQ

Of course the percentages could tweaked but the bottom line is there should be a chance at a better tier reward that varies with how high you go. It's still luck based but it gives more players hope than merely the highly skilled with third party tools.
    (5)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Character
    Seshamaru
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I understand and agree with you Karb. My point is, is that if this forum is supposed to be a form of communication between players and devs. we're not doing a very good job of synchronizing our desires to them. I could do a quick search and find 5+ large threads in the last few months about ppl telling the devs there is no challenge for them in the game they want more. The devs put in something akin to the old FFXI style (which is what they wanted) and now they don't like it. All I'm saying is, it doesn't help our cause towards bettering the game when many of the biggest posters flip flop every other week. If the devs didn't listen to stuff about events before, us just sitting here going back and fourth in a big circle isn't going to spur them to listen to us now.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sesh View Post
    I understand and agree with you Karb. My point is, is that if this forum is supposed to be a form of communication between players and devs. we're not doing a very good job of synchronizing our desires to them. I could do a quick search and find 5+ large threads in the last few months about ppl telling the devs there is no challenge for them in the game they want more. The devs put in something akin to the old FFXI style (which is what they wanted) and now they don't like it. All I'm saying is, it doesn't help our cause towards bettering the game when many of the biggest posters flip flop every other week. If the devs didn't listen to stuff about events before, us just sitting here going back and fourth in a big circle isn't going to spur them to listen to us now.
    Honestly i think it boils down too, People don't know what they want.

That, and I've made quite a few suggestions over the past few days regarding improvements that would make Neo-Nyzul friendly for every player. But its feedback they won't consider. We can't really communicate with the dev team when, ever answer they give us basically breaks down too:

"Well, Our vision was (insert idiotic train of thought a 3 year old would question), Balance, So your suggestions are going into a fire, We don't care if you hate it, Our vision > what you want".

I.E The key reason FFXIV sucked. They ignore feedback, and try to explain to us their vision as if that makes things suddenly okay.

Sorry to ramble. I know some of you really still like FFXI, But your liking it isn't going to stop it from slowly losing players. You won't be having any fun when they close the servers because the majority of the population is fed up and quits.

Edit:

This is a different group then the first ones to listen on the board, this dev team doesn't care about the non-Japanese speaking players. All their updates and concerns so far have been directed at the JP player base with us getting a translation of their response.
    This too, and its glaringly obvious.
    (7)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesh View Post
    Except this board isn't a form of communication between the two. It's a media outlet for SE to inform us of their upcoming changes, our feedback is neither solicited nor desired. The JP's feedback is listened to, but only marginally.

This is a different group then the first ones to listen on the board, this dev team doesn't care about the non-Japanese speaking players. All their updates and concerns so far have been directed at the JP player base with us getting a translation of their response.
    (2)

Eh.

Define skill.

Is it the ability to follow a map/route that works 100% of the time?

The ability to follow directions from a wiki/BG?

Is it the ability to practice something until it's second nature?

Skill, at its core, is about decision making under duress.

So, what's required for an event to test skill?

First: Decision making. The event has to be dynamic. If it's something you can farm the exact same way every time, it does not require skill. A squadron of Chimpanzees could be trained to do old Dynamis.

Second: Duress. If you're able to sit down, grab a scone, and surf the web while thinking about what to do next then the event isn't testing your skill - it's testing your patience. In order for the duress to be real, there has to be a time limit that the player is in danger of failing if the decision is not made quickly.

The player must be forced to make a decision faster than they are typically comfortable with if their skill is to be challenged.

How is this best applied on a strategic level? Exactly the way they did it, actually. Random clear conditions and pathos on each floor combined random floor progression require players to make difficult decisions and cost/benefit analyses while in an extreme time crunch.

I like the concept and I can understand where the Devs are coming from. However, I do think that the difficulty is a tad high due to sheer player speed limitations. Adding 5 minute time extensions that drop from bosses (20, 40, 60, 80 only) would allow for additional dynamic decision making without making Nyzul "easier", while still allowing top-tier groups more consistent access (as in, >1% odds) to floor 100.

Likewise, the Devs may want to consider adding secondary objectives to floors which, when completed, could award the player some bonus such as 30 second time extensions or Party Regain. Think along the lines of "Primary Objective: Defeat Specified Enemies. Secondary Objective: Avoid Detection by Enemies. Reward: +30 seconds". Players who take the time to avoid aggro and only pull monsters may be rewarded with an extra 30 seconds. It's up to the players to determine whether they are spending more time than they gain by completing each objective, etc.

$0.02
    (6)

I will have my revenge!

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Atoreis View Post
    Reward Reward Reward Items Items Items is all I can see. Seriously none can look a little deeper and see how cool to play is that event? Who fcking care if you gonna get the item after month or three when playing this event is actually a FUN and EXCITEMENT and this is what you should be looking into MMO.
    Whats to look deep at. All it added to the OLD nyzul was it can now bone you by over shooting the floor you want.
    (0)

Character
    Seshamaru
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    Eh.

Define skill.

Is it the ability to follow a map/route that works 100% of the time?

The ability to follow directions from a wiki/BG?

Is it the ability to practice something until it's second nature?

Skill, at its core, is about decision making under duress.

So, what's required for an event to test skill?

First: Decision making. The event has to be dynamic. If it's something you can farm the exact same way every time, it does not require skill. A squadron of Chimpanzees could be trained to do old Dynamis.

Second: Duress. If you're able to sit down, grab a scone, and surf the web while thinking about what to do next then the event isn't testing your skill - it's testing your patience. In order for the duress to be real, there has to be a time limit that the player is in danger of failing if the decision is not made quickly.

The player must be forced to make a decision faster than they are typically comfortable with if their skill is to be challenged.

How is this best applied on a strategic level? Exactly the way they did it, actually. Random clear conditions and pathos on each floor combined random floor progression require players to make difficult decisions and cost/benefit analyses while in an extreme time crunch.

I like the concept and I can understand where the Devs are coming from. However, I do think that the difficulty is a tad high due to sheer player speed limitations. Adding 5 minute time extensions that drop from bosses (20, 40, 60, 80 only) would allow for additional dynamic decision making without making Nyzul "easier", while still allowing top-tier groups more consistent access (as in, >1% odds) to floor 100.

Likewise, the Devs may want to consider adding secondary objectives to floors which, when completed, could award the player some bonus such as 30 second time extensions or Party Regain. Think along the lines of "Primary Objective: Defeat Specified Enemies. Secondary Objective: Avoid Detection by Enemies. Reward: +30 seconds". Players who take the time to avoid aggro and only pull monsters may be rewarded with an extra 30 seconds. It's up to the players to determine whether they are spending more time than they gain by completing each objective, etc.

$0.02
    I completely agree, I also think that TEs at certain points would during the run would be the perfect balance to help us get to floor 100. I wonder if we made a 1000 post thread calling for something to that affect, if they would listen to us like with click&buy. If not maybe we should all just post using google translate :P.

@Karb. maybe we our only hope for the next 10 years is Bethesda turning Skyrim into a MMO. Or buying out SE and replacing the dev team XD.
    (2)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I'd do new-NI 30 times with the current reward structure before I'd do THF AF quests again. It's more fun.
    (1)

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Surprised that the tier 1 armour wasn't the drop from level 80 and the next three tiers upgraded through Magian Trials with Alexandrite (which naturally would have an increased drop rate through the event).

Level 100 would contain the challenge requested by the Magian Trial to upgrade the gear that final stage to tier 5.

Maybe that's just too much like Abyssea/Dyna and they wanted to move away from that style of content for the purposes of mixing things up...
    (1)

Player
    I love how they say that they don't cater these events toward players with relic/emp/mythic weapons when it's pretty much impossible to do them well without.
    (7)

Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast