Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

magical blue magic, is it just me?

I can't help but feel our magical blue magic needs a major buff, our best magical nukes at the moment are probably dark orb and charged whisker and even they are nothing compared to our physical spells.

The problem with magical spells is there's not enough power behind them to be used over our physical spells, dark orb for example, is a good nuke and can do fair damage, but compared to spells like quadratic continuum, amphoric spikes goblin rush etc. it's weaker than them, on top of that it has a longer cast and recast time and has a significantly higher spell cost.

Charged whisker i suppose is more reasonable seeing as it's the highest AoE damage we can produce (not including UL spells, i've yet to try those enough) but still the mp cost is not worth the damage, and it only really shines in abyssea when we've stuffed ourselves with MaB atmas.

Magical blue magic just needs a power buff, considering physical spells are supposed to be faster and cheaper but weaker, while magical spell are supposed to be slower and costlier but stronger (except for AoE which should really be kind of a middle ground). But because magical spells aren't strong enough they aren't living up to this role and end up being nothing but things we set for triggers.

Also, older spells need to scale better, or more options need to be added, charged whisker and thermal pulse are our only decent AoE spells and they are both aligned with light, and everyone's grudge and dark orb are our only decent single target nukes and they're both aligned with darkness. We need more high level light based single target nukes and more high level dark based AoE nukes (or as i said make older nukes scale better).
    (0)

Character
    Nightfyre
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    They're really more of a backup option for when physical damage isn't viable. That said, Regurgitation/Dark Orb/Grudge spam with the occasional Acrid Stream for MDB down really isn't too terrible. More viable nukes would be nice though since we're kind of compressed into a couple of elements.

Hint: That means not breath spells. >_>
    (1)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Magical damage is BLU's second weakest category, the first being AoE buffs. They aren't necessarily bad, they just... aren't that good.
    (2)

I don't think the nukes need that much of an improvement. We can deal respectable dmg with them if the situation calls for it. It seems you want them to be just as potent as physical DD spells and that would kinda make us a bit overpowered to spam short recast/cast magical spells that deal that much damage. At least most of the nukes come with an additional effect that is pretty potent (acrid stream, bind etc). Only thing about magical spells I'd like to see them improve is stupid 1000 needles and Bad breath >.> never liked how such iconic spells are complete shit in this game lol. Bad Breath was pretty boss in almost every FF game, 1000 needles was nice mid game but that isn't the case in this one.
    (2)

Player
    They're pretty useful for trashing weak mobs in Abyssea (7k+ Charged Whiskers for BLU burning trials or cleaving is awesome) or even charged whisker/lightningbolt on Groundskeepers to pop Despot.
    (0)

Character
    Niloc
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    My little gripe about BLU magical magic is that they always have the most random ass modifiers attached to them. I mean when it comes to elemental magic, rule of thumb is INT and Magic Attack. But for BLU? No! We're going to have STR and DEX modified spells, then some VIT ones, or some MND ones, and back at 75 I remember some CHR based ones. It's like asking a BLM to gear STR for fire spells, DEX for Lightning spells etc.

It made it impossible to really carry around a "general" nuke set, though nowadays this is a bit easier as we can almost squeeze Magic Attack Bonus into every slot, and our main nukes seem to have conformed to INT and MND.

On things where BLU magic damage is the better choice (and I can only really think of Botulus....) what sort of numbers do you guys even throw out with Dark Orb / Grudge etc?
    (2)
    Last edited by Transmit; 02-07-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Character
    Doctorugh
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Simply adding us to staff magian trials would help and be simple for them to do.
    (5)

Character
    Nightfyre
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Transmit View Post
    My little gripe about BLU magical magic is that they always have the most random ass modifiers attached to them. I mean when it comes to elemental magic, rule of thumb is INT and Magic Attack. But for BLU? No! We're going to have STR and DEX modified spells, then some VIT ones, or some MND ones, and back at 75 I remember some CHR based ones. It's like asking a BLM to gear STR for fire spells, DEX for Lightning spells etc.
    All the post-75 spells are dINT based, so you can still gear them that way for the most part and treat WSC as a tertiary priority. The exception is when under Burst Affinity.

On things where BLU magic damage is the better choice (and I can only really think of Botulus....) what sort of numbers do you guys even throw out with Dark Orb / Grudge etc?
    I did a pickup Lamorak a while ago and opted to nuke so I wouldn't have to deal with shadows. Regurgitation was doing about 600 from behind, Grudge and Dark Orb did ~1k each outside of BA. This was all with Acrid Stream's MDB down active.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorugh View Post
    Simply adding us to staff magian trials would help and be simple for them to do.
    This >_>
    (1)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Wow. Nightfyre, Prothscar, Draylo and Doctorugh all in one thread. I am amongst gods.
    (6)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Niloc
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Ok last night we did Botulus as an LS and I decided to try my hand at BLU/rdm using Grudge / Dark Orb / Regurg between triggers (since Melee damage is horrid on him...), and well my magic damage wasnt much better to be honest. Unresisted my Dark Orbs / Everyones Grudges were doing 700-900 without using BA. Now this was pretty low anyway, seeing as our RDM was nuking him for 1200-1400~ but I think I got resisted about four time out of every five nukes I did.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/248088

I know that set isnt perfect (especially the neck! But upgrade choices are expensive), but is there anything I'm really doing wrong to be resisted so often? (Also using lvl 15 Destruction lvl 15 Shrewd as Atmacites).
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast