Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Greetings!

While this may not answer all of your questions, I have some info for you regarding Dark Seal.

The new effect for Dark Seal that reduces casting time for dark magic isn’t meant for spells you cast on yourself such as Dread Spikes. It was designed to be used for offensive magic that’s used against enemies. The meaning of this effect is to reduce the possibilities of being interrupted while casting during fights where you are auto-attacking.

For a dark magic fast cast, we need to look into this a bit more, but we think it would be better as a job trait if we implement it.

Based on the above, I’d like to talk about whether we should change the effect of Dark Seal from a reduction in casting time to a reduction in recast time.

In the hypothetical event that we were to change the effect of Dark Seal to reduce recast time, the effects of adding a merit point would be roughly half of if the effect were reduced casting time.

For example:
    For each merit point added, a 10% reduction in dark magic casting time.

For each merit point added, a 5% reduction in dark magic recast time.

Also, in the case that we revamp it to be dark magic fast cast (name pending), similar to Elemental Celerity, it would only reduce casting time and it would most likely not be able to have very high values.

The reason for this being that it will allow for constant casting of Drain and other spells and there is a concern about making it too beneficial while retaining the same dark knight firepower.

If there are enough people who wouldn’t mind the above example of changes, then the development team can look into revamping the effect of Dark Seal.
    (5)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Sanders
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    When I first read the update concerns about Dark Seal affecting the casting time of one spell... I was pretty disinterested and thought a fixed Fast Cast would be better, where the merit level determines the duration, not potency.

Dark Seal: Recast 5min. Enhances Magic Accuracy of the next Dark Magic spell cast, with no effect on potency. Dark Magic Fast Cast 10% for a duration of one additional spell per merit level.

or

Dark Seal: Recast 5min. Enhances Magic Accuracy of the next Dark Magic spell cast, with no effect on potency. Dark Magic Fast Cast 10% for a duration of an additional 20sec. per merit level.

** The above is honestly a repost from an older thread on the FFXIAH forums, but I thought I should post it here also.

Overall, if they're mostly settled on how they're changing DS, recast > cast time. /shrug
    (2)

Player
    I would personally prefer Dark Magic Potency added onto Dark Seal.
    (3)

Character
    Rezeak
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    If there are enough people who wouldn’t mind the above example of changes, then the development team can look into revamping the effect of Dark Seal.
    Thanks for response Camate

Being able to recast dread spike more often wouldn't be game breaking when it doesn't stop tp moves and requires a decent amount of mp.

anyway imo i don't care anymore Tactical parry, Sarclet D, 15% zanshin as muted soul augement just shows that dev team doesn't know what DRK is about or even about how it should be adjusted at LEAST Souleater Resolution as brought DRK back to were is was like 5 years ago.

As an example of how little the dev team know this.....
    " possibilities of being interrupted while casting during fights where you are auto-attacking"
    IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR DRK.
    It that the time wasted selecting and casting the spell often out ways the benetfit of just hitting the mob

short version i'll have 1 merit in dark seal and forget the rest
    (4)
    Last edited by Rezeak; 02-15-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Main : 99 DRK
    Subs : 99 SMN COR SCH MELEEWHM
    Server : Ragnarök
    Relics : 95 Ragnarok and 95 Apoc
    Ironic that when i was young i never had enough video games but now i have too many and not enough time to play them .

Character
    Geabrielle
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    For a dark magic fast cast, we need to look into this a bit more, but we think it would be better as a job trait if we implement it.
    This in particular is what would make ALL of us extremely happy, hands down. As the majority of our magic is dark based a quick casting time will make using the Abs-Spells and the like a bit more viable, as well as maintain the utility of Aspirs/Drains/Spikes. Please plug this to the devs for us! We're on our knees, clinging to our scythes and great swords in supplication! <3

As for the possibility of this being too beneficial I will say this: Very view dark knights bother casting anything because of the massive hindrance they see to their DPS. The lack of something beneficial to our largest magic ability is made a good majority a bunch of wanna be warriors with an MP pool who only think Abs-TP should be made a Job Trait. Wow end rant ...

Either way, back on Dark Seal itself: I would have thought an increase of about 20 secs or so in duration and a slight bit of potency under the effect would a good use of a 5 minute ability.

Keep the fast cast aspect as a possible job trait. For the love of Altana ... PLEASE. Job. Trait.
    (3)

Character
    Vassago
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Greetings!

While this may not answer all of your questions, I have some info for you regarding Dark Seal.

The new effect for Dark Seal that reduces casting time for dark magic isn’t meant for spells you cast on yourself such as Dread Spikes. It was designed to be used for offensive magic that’s used against enemies. The meaning of this effect is to reduce the possibilities of being interrupted while casting during fights where you are auto-attacking.
    I never thought being interrupted was a issue, It goes with out saying if your a player with more then two brain cells that if you time your casts in between the foes hits you can pull just about any spell a Dark Knight needs to use. I learned this minutes after i picked up my first Mage job.
    This is where i would ask if the Devs play this game but at this point ill just /sigh...

Yeah we think so too, the Dark Knight forums are full of these comments. {Please Check it.}

Based on the above, I’d like to talk about whether we should change the effect of Dark Seal from a reduction in casting time to a reduction in recast time.

In the hypothetical event that we were to change the effect of Dark Seal to reduce recast time, the effects of adding a merit point would be roughly half of if the effect were reduced casting time.

For example:

For each merit point added, a 5% reduction in dark magic recast time.

Also, in the case that we revamp it to be dark magic fast cast (name pending), similar to Elemental Celerity, it would only reduce casting time and it would most likely not be able to have very high values.

The reason for this being that it will allow for constant casting of Drain and other spells and there is a concern about making it too beneficial while retaining the same dark knight firepower.
    With Hasso up and 5 merits on this it nullifies the 50% casting time penalty while still leaving the 50% increase in recast. Seeing as we don't cast that often this would relieve the need to cancel Hasso to cast. Except for Absorb-TP which is the one spell i use more then any other and would like to keep spamming as much as i can.
    But if this will conflict with the Dark Magic Fast Cast the devs are talking about then its best left as is.

I think its best to do it in a way that it wont conflict with the Dark Magic Fast Cast the devs are talking about.
    (1)

Player
    Meh if you use LR, you only need to use Hasso for the 2 minutes that LR is down unless you're 3/5.
    (0)

Character
    Akutenshi
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Honestly, I would rather have a fast cast trait for Dark Knight. If there is a change to dark seal like someone mentioned, it should effect potency instead. What I would find ideal is maybe say a fast cast trait for elemental magic to lower the cast and recast, lower the casting and recast of absorb stat spells across the board, and add a darkness based spell that's quick or instant to cast with maybe a 5 minute cool down. I think it would be nice like a spell like Kaustra just without the DOT feature that could be effected by potency. Least this way would ignore the issue of having recast times lowered for drain and aspir spells.
    (0)

Character
    Dirtyfinger
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Meh if you use LR, you only need to use Hasso for the 2 minutes that LR is down unless you're 3/5.

Pretty sure the STR and ACC aren't hurting you any from keeping Hasso up full time especially with the rank 24-26 weapons DRKs are running around with now.
    (0)
    Masamune
    Arma up next!

Character
    Phraust
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I'd rather ask questions, but I'm not sure a dialogue is possible in this situation.

First: Dark Magic specific Fastcast trait is an awesome idea.

Second:

If I get what you're saying here, if it's either/or for casting time reduction, or recast reduction:

If the alteration to Dark Seal is 'Casting Time Down %' and not 'Fastcast', I will take the 'Recast Reduction' instead.

If the alteration to Dark Seal is 'Fastcast' and not 'Casting Time Down %', I'll take the Fastcast.

Most dark spells are already fast, using Dark Seal to reduce their casting time is adding the delay of using the job ability in order to reduce the casting time. In some cases, it might even take longer to reduce the cast time than to just cast the spell.

Lowering the recast time however, I find to be more beneficial.

As another poster said, an increase in potency would be preferred, but I am not sure they can do that really with Nether Void in the Drk arsenal... They might decide to "Balance!" both job abilities out of existence...
    (0)
    If you don't understand why Haste is so important, or if you don't think it is:
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/1847-Haste-and-You...-A-guide-to-the-misinformed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast