World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

Macro Error - Moved from Tech Support Board

Thread Title:
    Macro Error

Summary:
    Zoning causes macro books to reset to Book 1, Page 1.

Details:
    I recently have encountered a strange bug where whenever I zone, my macros are reset to Page 1 of Book 1. It accepts the change back to the intended macro book, but if I zone again, it will reset again.

While a minor issue, it is very annoying when I forget to fix it before engaging in battle.

I cannot tell you how many times I see "<t> sighted!" scroll through my chatlog when I am hitting my Utsusemi macro...

Originally, this was experienced by my wife on a machine running Windows XP; but recently my wife and I both purchased new PCs and are now both running Windows 7. Her new machine does not experience this problem, though it seems to have repeated on mine. Both had fresh installs, and have since downloaded all updates.

It is an irritating and perplexing error - though admittedly one that can be lived with if necessary.

Steps:
    Zoning causes macro book to reset.

Date & Time:
    Date/Time not relevant to occurance.

Frequency:
    State how frequent the issue occurs. Please select from the following.
    1. Always

Platform:
    PC

PC Manufacturer & Model Number:
    Homebuilt System (originally)
    Acer Desktop (currently)

Operating System:
    Windows XP SP3 (originally)
    Windows 7 (currently)

ISP:
    Charter

Type of Internet Connection:
    Cable
    (0)

Hello Annahya!

Thank you for that detailed report. A perplexing issue indeed and we apologize for the inconvenience that this must have caused. We certainly would not like you to have to live with that!
    We will escalate your report, so that it can be investigated to try to resolve this. As we continue to look into this issue, any updates will be posted within the forums as they become available.

Thank you for your patience, and best wishes to you.
    -SQUARE ENIX Moderator
    (0)

Character
    Shizukat
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'll post it again here, as it seems moved, and I didn't notice...

It seems to me like you have a issue with the actual "saving of the macros to disk". And from my crashing experience and connections lost over the years I know that these don't get saved to disk unless you logout or zone.
    Thus I'll also assume that it'll try to "read from disk" the macros every time you zone.

So I'd like to suggest the following things that might point to your problem.
    1) Are you running the game with a Windows-User-Account that has "Administrative Privileges" (WindowsXP or higher), or at least write access to the folder that FFXI is installed in ?
    2) Is some sort of Anti-Virus/Malware tool preventing filechanges ? (typically if it was installed in the "Program Files" folder)
    3) Maybe having some other form of disk-write-failure or maybe the POL-User-files marked as Read-Only ? (not sure if this last one would matter)

Just something I'd like to suggest to try and check when you can play again.
    (0)