Sauromugue Champaign

Though I very much doubt that anyone particularly cares, and I doubt even more that it would be possible to implement due to there being so many references to Sauromugue Champaign; The translation of Sauromugue Champaign from Japanese means "Sauromugue Wilderness".

This makes much more sense in English, particularly because Champaign is a county in Ohio USA, but other than that it's not a descriptive name for a type of place.

Calling it "Sauromugue Champaign" is a bit like other regions being named "Meriphitaud Himalayers" or "Tahronghi Tsangpo" or "Western Altepa Sahara".
    (0)

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I'm afraid I must disagree.

Champaign is an English word that means 'open plain'. It's originally from Latin via Old French (and notably a different word to 'Champagne'). Same root as 'campaign' and hence is really describing an area of Wilderness suitable for a battlefield. So its use here in FFXI is quite appropriate.

I just did a quick bit of research to understand all that, so I learnt something new today too. Thanks!
    (3)

Hmmm, none of that was on the first page of google searches >.>
    (0)

So I finally managed to find it, and it says 'flat open land'. Last I checked there was a hill/mountain in the middle of SC >.>
    (1)

Character
    Haldarn
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Are you really arguing this point?

The Gausebit Mountains are in the middle of Sauromugue Champaign. I don't see the problem. The area around the Mountains is open land (and flat until it was blown to crap during the Crystal War).

For a real world example consider that the River Nile and Lake Nasser run through a number of deserts in Africa. That doesn't make the description of the deserts inaccurate in the same way that having mountains in the centre of a champaign doesn't make this descriptor inaccurate.

As I alluded to in my previous post, whereas the modern use of the word 'champaign' is suitable in this case, I consider it shows the in-depth research of the original designers to use a word with a root that's even more applicable to the area, considering that it did indeed become a battlefield. Little touches like this that show attention to detail can be found throughout the game (indeed the whole FF series) and enhance the Vana'diel experience, in my opinion of course.
    (2)

Character
    Rosalee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    There are inconsistencies with naming some things, though. Although I would say that the Saruomugue Champaign name is fine, one thing that bothers me is that the treasure chests within MMM Appropriation Team (Maze Voucher 06) are named Papeterie--a French word referring to a chest where paper is stored, which is fine, until you open the boxes to find.... Fresh Orc Liver, Sparkling Stone, and Griffon Leather. All of which are NOT. PAPER. They don't even resemble paper!
    (0)
    Current Quest Counter: 2109!

Character
    Rewyen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 70
    Combo Breaker!!!!

Much like fields are sprawling vegetation and downs are endless hills, a champaign is an open field or battleground. Also, a papeterie is an ornamental box often used for storing stationary. I know I've used my fresh orc liver many a fortnight to scribe my personal memoirs, so I don't know what you're on about. :P
    (0)
    I do not apologize for my sarcasm, I just ask that you have a damn sense of humor. I'm the comic relief, dammit!

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalie View Post
    There are inconsistencies with naming some things, though. Although I would say that the Saruomugue Champaign name is fine, one thing that bothers me is that the treasure chests within MMM Appropriation Team (Maze Voucher 06) are named Papeterie--a French word referring to a chest where paper is stored, which is fine, until you open the boxes to find.... Fresh Orc Liver, Sparkling Stone, and Griffon Leather. All of which are NOT. PAPER. They don't even resemble paper!
    Maybe they are IOU's for said items, which are written on pieces of paper. So it's not that odd ;D

Besides, it's not like you cannot repurpose a container for a different purpose... we have a cookie jar filled with pencils and markers... does that make it any less of a cookie jar?
    (0)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"

Character
    Rosalee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
    Maybe they are IOU's for said items, which are written on pieces of paper. So it's not that odd ;D

Besides, it's not like you cannot repurpose a container for a different purpose... we have a cookie jar filled with pencils and markers... does that make it any less of a cookie jar?
    They are most certainly NOT IOU's since they weigh you down when you're carrying them!

And yes. That makes it a pencil holder.
    (0)
    Current Quest Counter: 2109!

Hi Babekeke (and everyone), and my apologies for the delayed response.

As some of you have already pointed out, the "champaign" of Sauromugue Champaign is not the "open and flat plain" meaning of the word, and certainly not the city in Illinois but rather the archaic meaning of a battlefield.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/champaign

This seems a good time to mention that as for some of the other "inconsistencies" mentioned, there is a degree of poetic license taken sometimes when naming items and locations. While we endeavor to stay true to the spirit of the words we use (these on many occasions being archaic or obsolete meanings rather than common modern usage), there are times when a word will be used to mean something slightly different than it does in our real world.

As for why a papeterie on Vana'diel might be used differently from a papeterie in our world, I must say Rewyen offers a compelling theory.
    (0)