This will now be soloable on MNK, possibly other jobs too >.>
    (1)

Character
    Sonshou
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 98
    Does that mean they gonna make the fight more dependable on the enfeebling item?

From what I read is that, the only change is the effect of the enfeebling item, nothing changed to the fight iteself.
    Making the enfeebling effect last longer and will not one shoot people right after effect wear off, melee attack doesn't work when taru is running around.........

Ranger arrow burn? 6 ranger go in and make him run around and fire thousand arrows at him?
    (0)

Character
    Kraggy
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    THF Lv 50
    Quote Originally Posted by JTF View Post
    Don't change it. It's an easy enough fight if you prepare or have the right setup. Don't dumb it down.
    Yup, as usual, it's easy with the 'right' group and sucks to be you if you're not a required job.

Also, those saying how easy it is probably have spammed Aby and VW for months and have the best gear and relics or better. There are MANY 95s with barely anything better than Perle/etc. for whom this mindless DPS zerg requires more than they can deliver, this fight was clearly initially tuned for those willing to melt their minds with lolprocfests in Aby.

For this fight ATM, gear >>>> skill, which is NOT what a Limit Break should be about, at all.
    (3)

Actually, it is more dependant on your strategy/skill than gear...went 1/1 with a motley crew with little better than +1 empy and I think two had level 90 empy weapons---PLD didn't have a trial shield, but his skills were capped. Wasn't a mage or TP burn either, more a typical party setup. It's more about having a well thought out plan before going in...and if your plan fails, review, revamp, try a new strategy until you get the win.
    (3)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Jtf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 88
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraggy View Post
    Yup, as usual, it's easy with the 'right' group and sucks to be you if you're not a required job.

Also, those saying how easy it is probably have spammed Aby and VW for months and have the best gear and relics or better. There are MANY 95s with barely anything better than Perle/etc. for whom this mindless DPS zerg requires more than they can deliver, this fight was clearly initially tuned for those willing to melt their minds with lolprocfests in Aby.

For this fight ATM, gear >>>> skill, which is NOT what a Limit Break should be about, at all.
    For this fight, there are quite a few 'right' setups. Just read some of the strategy posts for this fight on the various boards. Many different types of party work and some only need 4 or 5 people so even someone on an 'unwanted' job can just come along for the ride.
    (0)

Character
    Golovko
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Keep it as it is, do you know how hard the old genkai used to be dude? It felt like a serious achievment getting that papyrus, and I remember being blown away by how deadly exorays were.
    (6)

Wtf is wrong with you people?

FFXI is full of players that are very casual that are struggling to clear this fight, we had our fun/difficult fight and we enjoyed it/cleared it (although many used gimmiks like PDlol and think they did something skillfull)

Let them add stronger items so people can get past it, if people can't beat maat they level anotehr job and beat it on that. If people can't clear this fight then they can use stronger items, no difference.

This isn't an endgame event where if you suck you can't beat the NM, this is a limit break quest that people should be allowed to progress through (even if they aren't the best players or have limited job selection/friends).
    (7)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

><)))°»

I have been waiting for an adjustment to the tail actually, as it was rather useless (to me) in the way that it favours basically Ranged Attacks only, and the other use it possibly has is to perhaps give a breather and/or evade the hundreds of fists.

Only viable ranged attack I have is from Archery as a Samurai, and I tried on the test-server if I could even hit it with that and well, it seemed next to useless.
    As a Black Mage, I got something around 30-40% off, with only Empyrean +2 gear and some INT rings and earrings that I could find.

As said, it is not a difficult fight with enough players, and certainly can be made easier by having certain jobs, but I'm still thinking it should have been more like the battle with Maat...
    Stating that this fight tests one's might, is a bit off I think since obviously it can't be done alone. I'm not saying that each one contributing are not making a difference, but you're still depending on other players mostly, while with Maat, you are all alone, and can only blame yourself (and the game of course!) for defeat.

Note that they are (for now) seemingly only changing how the enfeebling item works, not the other parts of the fight. Though it's not that it is 'too hard with the item', it's more like the item is just broken and they're trying to fix it. So I, for one, am a little bit excited even to try again after the changes, as I am planning to win it with as few as possible (to me), and I don't have a rush to get to 99 at all.
    Think of it it as a challenge of sorts. ^^;

I did try it with a full party a couple of times, with half of the party being Monks and me being a Samurai, feeling useless mostly and I don't like that. =/

What I guess I'm trying to say is that this could be seen coming already from the day the battle was implemented on the test-server, and it is, fer sure, a welcome change anticipated by many. ^^

Saying it's not needed and shouldn't be done (it is broken, you know) is quite something...
    (3)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I have done this fight w/ 5 bsts and a thf, i have done this fight with 4 bsts and a cor and last night i beat it with 5 bsts and a rdm. And i have done this with 3 blm a pld whm and a dnc, and rdm. The previous 7 attempts were with combinations of mnks and smn's w/ alex. At one point we had no weakness item and a different time we had 2. It is NOT a hard fight and if you have the right combination of help you can get it done as any job. LEAVE IT ALONE!
    (1)
    FFXI forever! 99 PLD THF DRG DNC WHM SCH BRD BLM BLU BST
    Burtgang Excalibur Aegis Ochain

Character
    Zeich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Keep it the same! People complain that it's too hard for "casuals", but the thing is even casuals can do this if they go in with a decent strategy. Our first run we had a bit of bad luck even with an Ochain PLD and a Kannagi NIN (me). HF+Enfire took me down and then he turned and Smited the PLD for 3.8k out of the blue, and our remaining members (BST, RDM, WHM, BRD) had to end up kiting it. Surprisingly, our full-Perle BST LSmate won the fight for us (and doesn't let us forget it to this day) because the rest kited it/recovered despite the two main DDs getting knocked out.

It's not that people can't win this fight just because they're casuals. You just need to plan accordingly. Have multiple people bring the enfeebling item and pop it during Hundred Fists to avoid it. Mages need a breather to rest some MP because you've taken a beating? Toss an enfeebling item to give them a chance to rest (though you really should bring a BRD/COR/RDM for Refresh in some form). Things looking ugly, and you need a chance to get people up? Start kiting, and if your kiter has an enfeeble, pop it at some point during the kiting to let people work towards unweakening. The thing is, people don't understand simple strategy these days; they seem to expect that smashing faces in while curing has to be the only way to beat a boss. Those of you who did some of the harder Maats for your cap (particularly RDM) know that there's more to it than that.

As someone said earlier in the thread: "If you couldn't beat Maat, you leveled another job and beat him on that." With Abyssea these days, it's easy to level a "right" job for this. Technically with half a brain you don't even need a "right" setup:

Got PUP or MNK? You're prolly useful with that damage cap since individual hits aren't too high but come with two hits per round, breaking down your greater damage into two hits so more gets through. And PUP has a backup healer if needed, meaning that they can take some of the burden (automaton pun unintended) off of the healers.

Got DRG? Toss on a Quint Spear. Sure you're doing less damage but with that cap you're getting in more overall thanks to your multihits. Same with SAM, and even WAR because of that damage cap. Bring a RDM/SCH or SCH/RDM along and Accession up an Enspell for them and bam, fast, high damage because Enspells ignore the limit. THF and DNC can fall under this too, though if you have a DNC they might have to avoid Haste Samba for the Enspells, I'm not really sure which would have better DPS.

BSTs? Get a fast pet, have everyone bring the old enfeebling item, and then toss the items out when your pets need healing. Since pets like Faithful Falcorr and Gorefang Hobs run at a high movespeed, they can keep up and continue damaging the taru even while he's running away.

SMN? Join a mage/pet burn, or hell, get Alexander and you'll be useful for absorbing HF or just saving the day if you used all your Rarab tails up and people are getting weakened.

COR and BRD? Your role should be obvious: ballads/evoker's roll for the mages, boost the melee with Haste (BRD), or DA/Attack Delay (COR) so that despite the damage cap they're still getting in more hits for more overall damage. COR can also joined Ranged setups along with RNG or BLM.

My point is that though I didn't list every job, all of them have potential to get through this fight in some way, shape, or form. Have everyone bring Rarab tails, and plan on using them when crises arrive. Surviving his hits is going to be the hardest part, but a good shadow tank (MNK/DNC/THF come to mind, if not PLD or NIN itself) with healing support can take the hits up until HF, in which you'll probably need the tail to save you from the Flaming Fists of Doom. Anyone, even casuals, can work their way past the 95->99 cap as long as they're willing to look at what they've got and make a valid strategy. It just takes planning and a bit of preparation (like buying Vile Elixirs for mages, getting Rarab Tails) to win.
    (0)
    [Kensagaku - formerly of Kujata] - http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Valefor/Kensagaku

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast