World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 90
    Comet fails in Damage waste of money and mp
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Kensagaku View Post
    @the OP

Comet has always been underwhelming in most games I can think that they've actually put it in instead of just Meteor. FFIV is the first time I can think of it being introduced, where it was a Twin Spell, took forever to cast, and wasn't worth the time. FFV it was a Time Magic spell, and again Comet's damage was lackluster. The only reason I ever kept Time Magic set was for Quick. FFVII was the next use, and while Comet 2 was alright, the original again was sorta lacking. IX it came in again... with a chance to MISS. And the damage was never really impressive compared to other non-elemental spells.

My point with this summary is that Comet has never been overly potent in the past. It's still a nice dark-based nuke that does far more damage than any other dark damage ability we've had in the past (aside from Lunar Bay if you have the right gear/atma). MP Cost? I agree it could be better. But in terms of comparing it to the past, Comet has never been that high on the nuke power list. Meteor? Meteor I can see being the ultimate black magic spell, as in many games it's been shown as either the ultimate magic or been incredibly powerful.

Now, I wouldn't complain if it was boosted, not by a long shot... but where it is? It's about on par with the past.
    Honestly, comparing something to other FF games isn't productive. Enfeebling spells in most FF games are a terrible waste of MP that will never land, while that is a valid comparison now, previously enfeebling magic was quite useful in FFXI.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Are you sure you're looking in the right place? There are several old string tables in the data files that are unused leftovers from content that was cut from the game. After all, why would Meteor II, were it to be coming, be level 75 when Meteor is to be level 99?
    I am positive, and here is how you can tell. Look at the string for Comet. Were it an old file, it would instead look like this:

String Table Entry|219|Comet|Magic Help Message.|BlackMagic|Dark|Enemy|DarkMagic||1|4s|10s|15|00 (0)

That Comet has a message, is not dark magic, has a level attached to it, and costs more that 1 MP demonstrates that the data is, in fact, current.

As for Meteor II, it is a new listing, I cannot find a reference to it in my old spell tables from before the October update. That string "244" is possibly where they are going to place the player-castable version of the spell and they have put placeholder data there in the interim. Although it is possible that they will give monsters Meteor II when players are able to cast Meteor. I wouldn't bet anything substantial on the details being correct. Before Kaustra was added to the game, the placeholder data said level 95SCH and that it would be light-based elemental magic. (I have a partially-leveled light-based damage staff thanks to that listing, but I am going to finish it eventually for Luminohelix and Banishes even if Meteor doesn't turn out to be light-based. My point is once bitten, twice shy and all that.)

On an unrelated note, can banishes and holy please suck less? I'm not saying make them the most powerful spells in the game, but can they please not be terrible?
    (3)

Player
    Meteor II has been in Japanese files for years, it is not new
    (0)

Character
    Alkimi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardlybabooon View Post
    Atma of the cosmos doesn't have the MAB that beyond does. You can't merit dark potency. The Magian staff only applies to that spell so people use plutos. That's why it's weaker. However it is too much MP.
    A lot of BLMs have done the dark magian staff. The damage increase also applies to drain and aspir.

Comet has it's uses (It's particularly strong in Dynamis if you do it as a group) but yeah overall I hardly cast it. Newer VW mobs half of them resist the hell out of dark damage and be weak to fire/thunder/light instead.
    (0)

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I vote make comet and meteor non-elemental or "tetra-elemenetal" so mobs have a harder time resisting it I mean its supposed to be our signature spell right?
    Piss a blm off they drop a giant rock from outer-space on your head
    (0)

Character
    Syuveil
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    Except it doesn't do tier 5 damage.
    Yes it does, just don't nuke it with pluto's staff and expect it to do as much as blizzard V with ice TotM staff +3/4. Don't compare it to blizzard V or blizzaja in abyssea with beyond atma either as that of course is gonna make ice win. Outside abyssea with the proper staff it's pretty close to blizzard and thunder V in damage. It just doesn't get cast often because it's not as mp efficient as the above spells and the majority of blms don't have the TotM dark dmg staff.
    (3)

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    The mp cost compare to the damage you get is laughable next to thunder V and blizzard V but then again I have potency merits.

With neutral atams you can see that in abyssea too since I do not have any potency atams -.-
    (0)

Talk about necro bump >.>
    (1)

Character
    Rambus
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    it was like the 5th blm thread -.- i did not even notice the last post date.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Rambus View Post
    it was like the 5th blm thread -.- i did not even notice the last post date.
    yeah, basically there's only activity in the job forums for jobs that need fixing (or at least the people that play them think they need fixing).

eg. SMN PUP BST RDM

Some of the other job forums you could reply to the top post and be necro bumping it lol.
    (3)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast