Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyroth View Post
    Needless to say. If SE where to combine the magian staves then they would need to do it for the other weapons as well.
    Why? Other weapons don't have the same paths as staves. Staves have several exceptions, even among elemental trial weapons.

Usually there's two elemental paths, one for Attributes (STR and Attack, AGI and Evasion, etc.) and one for additional effects (weakens attack, impairs evasion, etc.). Pet job weapons get an additional elemental weapon for pet effects (axe for BST, staff for SMN and hand-to-hand for PUP).

Now, staff gets two extra paths per element just for spellcasters. One is for magic damage the other for magic accuracy. So not only is it an exception to every other trial weapon anyway, but it has something else that sets them apart from all other trial weapons (shared with the avatar pet staves): the effects of the staves are mutually exclusive. Comparing this to combining the PDT and MDB sword or the Attack and Evasion dagger are completely groundless, because then you'd benefit from both swords/daggers at the same time. You'd get a weapon that's superior to the two before. For example, you could maintain high attack while keeping high evasion on.

That would not be the case for combining mage specific staves, because you could not use the seperate effects simultaneously. If you cast a water-elemental spell, you would only get a bonus from one of the staves. And you'd get the same bonus from the (hypothetical) combined staff. As such, it's not a better weapon, only a more convenient one. It wouldn't require you to gimp your inventory just to be efficient. And I don't think that your playstyle should ever be hindered by your inventory (which, sadly, is the case as of now).

I'd be all for combining the mage-specific staves, all damage, accuracy and avatar ones. Even if it was an exception, it would be a very welcome one.

However, I strongly disagree with the relic/mythic/empyrean idea. I'd want the staff to actually be obtainable.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Taruina
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    you know SE's going to shaft us with any type of upgrade on this scale by copying OP's suggestion.
    (0)

Character
    Mystaticromance
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerich View Post
    you know SE's going to shaft us with any type of upgrade on this scale by copying OP's suggestion.
    I have a bit more faith that if this suggestion is even taken to the Devs, that they will read all the 'valuable' posts and get the general idea from it. It would make sense for SE to tier it as others have suggested. Allowing the combination of elemental staves w/o r/m/e. Then potentially creating branches, or simply extra trials, to allow the combination of r/m/e staves to the mix.

I'm not sure how many times most of you have had to negotiate terms of things, but it's a common philosophy to start at something not necessarily realistic. This way you know full well that when they send a counter-offer, it will either be right around where you actually want it, or better. Camate or whichever team member would take this to the Devs and make them aware that there are people that simply don't want to add the r/m/e to the mix. The Devs could then, at that time, decide that they should make it step-wise as many of you have suggested.

Considering that this is a video game, I see no reason why they can't mold all of the 'valuable' suggestions and make it a step-wise progression. Of course, I am not familiar with game coding or things of that nature so I don't know how difficult this would be to develop. I don't think that trials that would lead up to my original post would that hard at all to implement. It means that some players will sit with just the elemental staves, and others will be allowed to progress further and combine those r/m/e weapons to their staff if they choose to. This way, everyone walks away with possibly less inventory space taken up by staves of each element.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystaticromance View Post
    I'm not sure how many times most of you have had to negotiate terms of things, but it's a common philosophy to start at something not necessarily realistic. This way you know full well that when they send a counter-offer, it will either be right around where you actually want it, or better.
    Two problems, first of all, this isn't a negotiation, you're just giving feedback, they'll decide what makes sense and what doesn't. There's nothing they want in return from you, nothing that would motivate them to bargain. If your suggestion doesn't make sense, they're more likely to just shrug it off instead of offering you a compromise.

Secondly, you're assuming that allowing relic, mythic and/or empyrean weapons in the mix would actually be "better", which I strongly disagree with. I wouldn't want trials like those at all.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Character
    Geabrielle
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    All things aside, the singular stave that was meant to be acquired, that all BLMs are asking for already exists and it IS the Mythic staff. That was the intent behind it's creation for what it does and is supposed to enhance. That is also the reason why each magic job has its own particular mythic to suit its particular needs in various ways. The Magian trials are were a placebo, something that only took time and casual effort to acquire with a nice power boost and that has gained preference because a mythic staff (or club in whm's case) is ridiculous to acquire.

That is the answer to the 'meld all into the ultimate staff' suggestion. It's already there and it's a flaming frog bottom to lay hands on.
    (1)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Geabrielle View Post
    All things aside, the singular stave that was meant to be acquired, that all BLMs are asking for already exists and it IS the Mythic staff.
    Yes and no. In terms of damage, it's about as good as the Lv90 trial staff because of the way Magic Attack Bonus is calculated. Which, honestly, I'd be perfectly fine with as well. In terms of accuracy it's the same as the Lv51 elemental staves (NQ, that is, it's even worse than the HQ versions). Lv95 and 99 trial staves are complete upgrades to Laevateinn (and I'm talking about the Lv99 version too, which we don't even know how to acquire yet).

Now if you consider that even the 75 version is pretty much impossible to obtain, add to the fact that the end result isn't even better than what's currently obtainable and I have no idea how you can even call that a solution.
    (1)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Character
    Fiyaro
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I just want to be able to merge my smn elemental staffs, if they had a reasonable trial for that Id get behind it. But even tho we went thru all the work to get all elemental staffs to 99 they would still prob want us to get 1500 of some insane drop to merge em lol

adding the empy mythic and what not staffs into the mix tho I cant get behind
    (0)
    Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself, you would cry your eyes out if you didn't.

Character
    Geabrielle
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Now if you consider that even the 75 version is pretty much impossible to obtain, add to the fact that the end result isn't even better than what's currently obtainable and I have no idea how you can even call that a solution.
    I don't call it a solution; SE calls it a solution by it's mere existence and I'm simply acknowledging that fact. There is no use yammering for what's already there, or attempt to negotiate a combination trial which would be nerfed out to equate the same thing... cuz face it, it's SE.
    (0)

Character
    Joyroth
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    Why? Other weapons don't have the same paths as staves. Staves have several exceptions, even among elemental trial weapons?
    If SE just combines one set of the Magian Trials...you don't think others would catch on and make the same request?

I just don't see this happening.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyroth View Post
    If SE just combines one set of the Magian Trials...you don't think others would catch on and make the same request?
    No, because it's apples and oranges. Combining most elemental trial weapons would result in a vastly superior weapon. That is not the case for mage-style weapons. They're only more convenient, but equally powerful. There's a fundamental difference there. Requesting the same treatment for other weapons would be unreasonable.
    (0)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast