Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Nightfyre
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    So now we're back to Gallant's Roll being useless.

Honestly the Phalanx route was probably the best option, albeit still not very useful. Low amounts of PDT would have had a pretty similar impact (which is to say, almost none); even "non-tank" jobs can generally cap PDT these days so the complaint there seems ah... late? Ignorant of existing defensive options and the various benefits thereof? Something wrong, at least. Whoring defense isn't really conducive to maintaining hate, so it's more a strategy for managing various lesser NMs in a straight-tanking solo or lowman situation, or if you're holding something without any real chance of hate shifting. Even then it's best combined with other, superior stats given the very mediocre impact player defense has. Point being, you usually don't see CORs in such situations and this isn't going to change that.

The gains from COR's offensive buffs are overwhelming in comparison to its defensive options, which is more a testament to how broken the damage system is in FFXI than anything else. Given the equally broken status of enmity mechanics, it's unrealistic to expect a shift away from a heavily offensive focus in COR buff priorities unless it receives some seriously powerful defensive buffs.
    (14)
    Last edited by Nightfyre; 02-03-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Character
    Rezeak
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    THANK YOU ! ^^

ps ofc it'll be useless either way since tact/chaos + miser are the only rolls we use anyway.

But at least it's situational now/
    (1)
    Main : 99 DRK
    Subs : 99 SMN COR SCH MELEEWHM
    Server : Ragnarök
    Relics : 95 Ragnarok and 95 Apoc
    Ironic that when i was young i never had enough video games but now i have too many and not enough time to play them .

Character
    Sehachan
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    As a result of the development team’s investigation as well as feedback we received
    Just who the pup told you that damage taken was bad and defense increase was better?
    (13)

Stop wasting time on things like this that nobody will use!
    (6)

Player
    Was the goal of that investigation to maintain Gallant's Roll's current level of uselessness for the purpose of balance?

Defense is bad and defense should feel bad. Defense should go back to college and attend AA in an attempt to better itself and fix its broken life. Adding abilities that increase Defense are like giving Defense a jug of Charles Shaw's finest Cabernet Sauvignon and a pre-paid card for an MMORPG. It does nothing to help Defense get its act together.
    (8)
    Last edited by SpankWustler; 02-04-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Since we didn’t provide enough background information along with our last post, I wanted to inform you all why we decided to change Gallant’s Roll’s effect to defense boost.

We plan on setting the value of the defense boost at around 30% when the highest number is rolled. This boost will be applied to the final defensive value after the effects of gear, abilities and spells are factored in and will reduce physical damage taken. This effect will vary based on the opponent’s strength and the player’s defense stats, but we expect this defense boost to be more significant than the originally planned Phalanx effect. (In addition, players can still reduce damage even further through gear and Phalanx.)

The effects of defense vary based on the opponent’s attack strength, so defense boost is more effective when fighting against stronger opponents compared with Phalanx, which has a fixed damage reduction. Defense boost also has a cumulative effect, which makes it more beneficial to paladins than physical damage reduction which becomes useless once the maximum limit is reached.

Therefore, we decided that making the roll a defense boost would be a more beneficial effect overall.
    (0)
    Matt "Bayohne" Hilton - Community Team

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Harharharharharharharhar

Instead of getting Phalanx (useful in some situations) you'll get Defense, which is useful in almost no situations. Congrats, CORs.
    (10)

Stack this on top of a tremendous nerf to our most powerful roll and it is just not a good day to be a Corsair.

Are the Devs really so afraid of us having unique buffs that complement Bard rather than being completely obsoleted by them? Miser's Roll was our golden goose.

Screw it, I'm really just tired of this. The game finally moves into 2012 and suddenly the brakes are hit, bricks are shat, and everyone's scattering to turn the clock back to 2009 as quickly as possible.

You know what I remember about 2009? Dead game jokes.
    (9)

I will have my revenge!

I think the core of the problem here is that Defense is pretty much the most useless stat in the video game right now. The Defense formula for PC's after level 50 or so becomes just so skewed in favor of the enemy its a meaningless buff.

Protect is generally just cast out of habit, not because it really does anything.
    (4)

Character
    Golovko
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    No actually defense is terrible, sorry.
    (6)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast