Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Character
    Francisco
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

[dev1047] Thoughts/Feedback on "Legion"

Details can be found here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...-System-Legion

The event itself, fundamentally sounds good, exciting, interesting, with a lot of possibility.

However, there is one huge, glaring issue I have with it - and I'm sure this applies to at least 80% of the player base.

The event seems based around alliances of 18-36. The problem is, groups that size really no longer exist in FFXI. There may be a few, here and there, but largely things are done in this game with groups of 4-8 now.

Many need to settle for 2-4.

If the Dev. Team is trying to bring back larger linkshells, two things really need to be considered.

1: There is no quick route to that, it would have to be done gradually.

2: This simply cannot be the priority at the moment, and what needs to be focused on is the current state of the player base. You have mostly smaller groups, duos, trios, maybe things typically max out at a party of 12 - and again, that's pushing the upper limit for what's common - and amongst those players you have a lot of bored, discontented, pessimistic players who might very well leave.

Basically, at this point of FFXI, I would be shocked if I ever found myself in an alliance of more than two full parties... I cannot even fathom 36.

Fellow players, am I alone on this? I feel like I speak for the majority, but I'd like some confirmation.

My feedback on this is, this content should be focused on groups of ~6, with the ability to throw ~36 at it if so you choose... ~36 or even ~18 should not be essentially required to have success in this even, because those numbers really are no longer representative of this player base.

- Larger groups may allow for more kills. More kills should only affect the QUANTITY of rewards, not the QUALITY.

- Progression of NMs should either be by choice or by randomness. Certain items should never be "impossible" for a group of 6, because they're always from the last NM (assuming it would take 18+ to clear the zone).

Questions for the Dev or Community Team:

The news post says a minimum of 3 can enter "Legion". Will this be designed so that a balanced group of three can manage to enjoy and benefit from this content?

To clarify, is Legion the same event as "The Last Stand"?

Thank you!
    (18)
    Last edited by Francisco; 01-14-2012 at 01:30 PM.

"How do I lock threads?"

Consume the contents of a bottle of Extra Strength Tylonel and then drink a beer. Soon, all threads will be locked.

minimum 3 required to enter....I would hazard a guess that it scales somehow according to party size.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Umm.. what is this "Legion" thing you speak of? I can find no official mention of this.
    (0)

I'm actually extremely excited for Legion. After the appalling disappointment that consisted of the Relic/Mythic/Emp trials and the proposed adjustments to Nyzul Isle, Legion looks like a shining ray of hope.

Einherjar style short-but-intense battle system against multiple foes, accommodating large group play, and drop+point hybrid loot system? Depending on the specifics of the execution, this could be the single best Endgame event released since ToAU.

I'm surprised Legion isn't getting more publicity. It's exactly what the focus needs to be on right now.

I apologize, because I know many people here already complain about Nyzul Isle being too restrictive because finding 2 other people is "hard", but myself and many, many others have been positively starved for a large-scale battle event for a very long time now. I love being able to go out and play with a large group of people whose company I enjoy. I love linkshell-based play, and I'm ecstatic that my shell will have something to do once again.

Einherjar 2.0? I'll take it. Instead of advertising the abysmal decision making behind neo-Nyzul and Relic/Mythic/Emps, SE really ought to be plastering Legion on the front pages.

Lowmanners? Don't worry. It's not like NineInchNinjas or similar shells were unable to compete just because they were lowman. The whole concept behind lowmanning is substituting superior skill over superior numbers. Top tier players will still be able to lowman fine, plus it'll actually mean something.
    (12)

I will have my revenge!

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm surprised Legion isn't getting more publicity. It's exactly what the focus needs to be on right now.
    Again, where are you getting this "Legion" information from? No mention of it in the timeline, no mention of it anywhere I can see on these forums, no mention on the official website.

It's not getting any publicity because nobody knows about it.

Please provide a link to whatever official details exist.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.

If there is going to be a 36 man event the UI needs to be redone to accommodate 36 people. Obviously i would have to pug a lot of people by shouting in jeuno.

As a leader I should be able to shout for memebers invite all of them then move them around and place them in parties I want and see this all in my in my UI as well as their job. I know that there is going to be a redone UI. Added UI features for forming groups must be done if 36 man content is going to be the norm again.
    (1)

Character
    Francisco
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Umm.. what is this "Legion" thing you speak of? I can find no official mention of this.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...-System-Legion

Edit: (They posted a blank topic for - I think - "The Last Stand" in November, and just edited the info in today or yesterday... this is why no one has noticed it)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I think the lack of publicity for it is because it wasn't posted freshly with all the new information on it.... a blank post was made in November, and updated today or yesterday... so it didn't show up in the Dev Tracker.

I would personally request in the future, the Devs/Community Team not add major news in this way... most people use the Dev Tracker for their news, and if you just edit information in, it goes completely under the radar.)

Lowmanners? Don't worry. It's not like NineInchNinjas or similar shells were unable to compete just because they were lowman. The whole concept behind lowmanning is substituting superior skill over superior numbers. Top tier players will still be able to lowman fine, plus it'll actually mean something.
    I certainly hope it works out this way, in some manner. My concern is, while low-man groups are a viable strategy, they lack the firepower of a full alliance, and will complete less objectives than an 18 person alliance.

My thoughts on this... basically...

18 people kill 5 NMs... they get a large amount of rewards...

6 people kill 2 NMs... they get the same quality of rewards as the first alliance, but a lower quantity.

Balances out, because a larger alliance would have more demand for these items... party isn't really punished for having a smaller group...

If "bosses" with superior loot are added, which essentially require clearing a zone, there should be a way a smaller group can attempt these as well... I really don't see a group of 3-6 clearing an area designed for 18-36... no matter how good they are... they'll survive, but won't have the damage to make up for the other 15-33 slots they're not using.
    (0)

"How do I lock threads?"

Consume the contents of a bottle of Extra Strength Tylonel and then drink a beer. Soon, all threads will be locked.

Character
    Francisco
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Edited OP to include a link to the notes about "Legion"
    (0)

"How do I lock threads?"

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Edit: (They posted a blank topic for - I think - "The Last Stand" in November, and just edited the info in today or yesterday... this is why no one has noticed it)
    I figured as much then- There is nothing in the dev tracker about this.
    (0)

Character
    Tilemon
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I hope it scales. That way you can do it with your close Buddies and still make progress, but if you go in with full 36 you'll just kill more for more stuff, and more points. so both groups will get rare stuff, just big group would get more of it.
    (3)

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast