Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Hawkhellfire
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

IDEA: Relief to Inventory Issues

Many people have problems managing their inventory. There are two reasons for this. 1)Limit of 80 spaces. 2)The game is built horizontally. Meaning you need one set to ws in, one to tp in, one to cast cure, one to nuke, etc etc.

Here are some things that are VERY easy to implement that will help many people out.

There is a very common number in FFXI. That number is 8. 8 elements, 8 days of the week, 8 items in the trade window, etc. Things that go along with this number are:

8 Elemental Obi's
    8 WS Gorgets
    8 WS Belts
    8 Elemental Sachets
    8 Elemental Grips
    8 Elemental Staves
    etc

Some of these items take a lot of effort and work to get (all 8 trial staves, either magic damage, magic acc, or avatar for example). Now as a mage, having all 8 obi's, all 8 staves, and all 8 grips, you are now down 24/80 inventory, over 25%. That's a lot of space.

I propose you create an npc that if you trade him all 8 obi's (8 spaces in the trade window so no problem there), he gives you a rainbow obi that works for all 8 elements (The Twilight cape is the same thing so they could easily make an obi to do it). All 8 Sachets = Rainbow Sachet, all stats +2, hp/mp, and occasionally absorbs magic damage. All 8 ws gorgets/belts = a gorget or belt that works for all ws's. all 8 element damage +6, element acc +1, element casting -14% = one staff for all 8 elements. etc etc.

This turns 24/80 inv into 3/80. MUCH easier to work with.

The coding for this should be relatively simple and will help the strain on many players, especially mages.

Now another idea that WILL draw even more attention to Limbus, Dynamis, and Abys would be an AF combo system.

Allow someone who has the AF+1, AF2+2, Emp+2 of any given piece, trade all 3 to an NPC, and you get a new piece with all the stats from all 3 pieces. Since the AF2+2 already breaks the previous amount thought that can be put on a gear, this shouldn't be a problem. If for whatever reason it is, then take the highest def of the 3, all hp/mp/attribute stats (adding them together. ie AF+1 has str+5, Emp+2 has str+10, new piece has str+15), the emp+2 set bonus, the af2+2 trial bonus if done, and then let us pick 5 of the other stats on the pieces to custom make our own.

This may not be as easy to code if there has to be custom things done, but would greatly reduce the amount of inventory and gear swaps needed. It would also be a new draw to older content to try and get the best gear possible.

Just some ideas that I think will make the game better and help out inventory issues since it doesn't seem that we'll ever break the 80 number due to ps2 limitations.

And another Mog Sack would also be wonderful, but sadly wouldn't help the 80 restriction to our gobbiebag. Some of us have over 80 pieces of gear for one job ;;
    (21)

Character
    Zarchery
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    480 slots plus set storage NPCs and Porter Moogles. If people still can't manage, they never will.
    (1)

Character
    Hawkhellfire
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    480 spots is great, but you can ONLY have 80 on you at once in your gobbiebag. Macros can't pull things out of safe/storage/locker/Satchel/sack. If they could, that would also help.

But seriously, if you're fine on your inventory, congrats Zarchery. You're one of the few and I'm happy for you. However, why not help others so we can all feel that comfy with our inventory.
    (7)

Character
    Ihnako
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    No, you can't have a pony!
    An I'm also at my inventory limit. But just cause I'm geared for several jobs, have several pop items, tools a.s.o. on my char. Other stuff is muled or stored at the porter NPC.

You want more storage? Decide what you want to do!

@ Zarchery (^.^)b
    (0)
    Last edited by Ihnako; 01-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I'd love that, this would be the only reason for me to do the trial paths for all of them and get my missing obis. It should also work with WS gorgets/belts, any rare/ex item which there's 8 of.

Before SE even thinks about responding with "overpowered", read this: it's not. It's exactly the same powered as it is now, only it would reduce inventory-strain client side as well as server-strain, since less gear swapping has to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnako View Post
    You want more storage? Decide what you want to do!
    He doesn't want more storage. Read his post before replying.

Edit:
    Also, I have no idea why people are bringing up Porter Moogles, Storage NPC and muling. All of those are ridiculous means of space management (which, again, isn't the topic here). Why should changing a job take me thirty minutes and mess up the rest of my inventory?

Also, 480 spaces is nothing. Consider that 80 of them are Storage and isn't accessible everywhere, at least another 80 for quest items, warp items, consumables, trigger items, upgrade items and trial items (usually in the satchel or sack), and a few misc items you can't store (event items, furniture, etc.) you're down to ~300 slots. If you have four well-geared characters, you'll be pushing your limits. I have seven, three well-geared ones (about 80~100 items each, sharing some) and four averagely-geared, but not for a lack of motivation, only for a lack of space. And I'm still very lucky that most of my mage jobs share a lot of gear. I couldn't even consider leveling, say, BLU or COR at the moment. It just wouldn't work.

So the obvious choice is to have less situational gear, or compromise in situational gear. However, firstly this shouldn't be a solution in the first place (gimping your setup/gameplay to maintain inventory space) and secondly, some pieces are too good not to swap. Elemental staves, for example, that's not just about min/maxing, it's about major differences in damage (+30% direct damage).

If you wanna argue, that's fine, but provide actual reasons instead of just saying "it's not needed if you're a shitty player and/or have half an hour of time between each job change".
    (11)
    Last edited by Arcon; 01-12-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Ihnako
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    He sure want more inventory space and the all mighty pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Many people have problems managing their inventory. There are two reasons for this. 1)Limit of 80 spaces. 2)The game is built horizontally. Meaning you need one set to ws in, one to tp in, one to cast cure, one to nuke, etc etc.

There is a very common number in FFXI. That number is 8. 8 elements, 8 days of the week, 8 items in the trade window, etc. Things that go along with this number are:

8 Elemental Obi's
    8 WS Gorgets
    8 WS Belts
    8 Elemental Sachets
    8 Elemental Grips
    8 Elemental Staves
    etc

.. you are now down 24/80 inventory, over 25%. ...

.. create an npc that if you trade him all 8 obi's ... he gives you a rainbow obi that works for all 8 elements ...

This turns 24/80 inv into 3/80. MUCH easier to work with.
    So read it again

I want more inventory space cause I gear my job good.
    Solution: Creat a NPC that will turn my stuff into super uber stuff so I'll save inventory while beeing pimp.

That's not the solution that's just "I can't decide what I want so give me all!"
    (0)

Character
    Missangie
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    He sure want more inventory space and the all mighty pony

So read it again

I want more inventory space cause I gear my job good.
    Solution: Creat a NPC that will turn my stuff into super uber stuff so I'll save inventory while beeing pimp.

That's not the solution that's just "I can't decide what I want so give me all!"
    Let me try to clarify because I dont think you are understanding what Hawk is saying. He is NOT asking for an increase in inventory space. He is asking for a way to combine all the elemental items into one super item, thus creating less inventory you have to hold, but he is not asking for more total space capacity.
    And it is not because he can't decide so he wants to have it all, its because a mage should be able to have a full repertoire of elements. A mage should be ready for whatever element is needed at the moment.

I think a more simpler solution to inventory problems is to just make all 480 of space accessible anywhere and on the go. This makes organization much easier.
    (2)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    He sure want more inventory space
    Yes, but inventory space isn't storage (you said storage earlier). There's a very relevant difference. Inventory is the amount of items you can have on you at any given time. 480 is your storage, 80 is your inventory. And the point is, inventory is not enough. Instead of asking for more inventory (which doesn't work because of PS2 limitations), he's offered a different solution.

That is a solution. Not a perfect one, because inventory space would still be tight, but it would definitely be a big relief. If you call that indecisive, you may as well call playing more than one job indecisive. He did decide, he doesn't want to be prepared for just two elements, but for all of them. That's not indecisive, that's decided but limited by the inventory. Wanting all is not a bad thing. In fact, it's the core design of FFXI to allow people to be able to be good at everything (that's also why you can level more than one job in the first place). If you have something for one job it should never exclude you from playing another, but unless you wanna spend ages gearing between each job, that is currently the case.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Character
    Hawkhellfire
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I'm not asking for more inventory space (although more would certainly be welcome as far as I'm concerned). I'm asking for a SIMPLE solution (coding this wouldn't be hard at all, especially with gear like Twilight Cape in existence). Every mage I know has more then 1 staff/obi on them. Most DD's I know have more then one gorget/belt for wsing. This would not only help out on inventory strain, but be an incentive to farm the remaining obi's,gorgets,belts,etc that you are missing. Do you know what you are doing when farming them? Playing their game which is what the dev's should want us to be doing in the first place. Gives many people a new goal to strive for. And if they already have all 8, I'm sure they would appreciate 7 free spots. If you wouldn't want free inv space Ihnako, that's fine. But don't piss on other people when they do.

The same goes for combining af/relic/emp. Turn 15 pieces into 5 and give reason to some of those pieces that weren't great to begin with. It's an easy solution that will help many people pick up a few spaces and a LOT easier then coding it to pull from your storage through macros.
    (1)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The same goes for combining af/relic/emp. Turn 15 pieces into 5 and give reason to some of those pieces that weren't great to begin with. It's an easy solution that will help many people pick up a few spaces and a LOT easier then coding it to pull from your storage through macros.
    While I completely agree with the elemental item idea, I'm not sure if the same would work for AF pieces, since they aren't used for the same situations it would be a lot harder to combine them (just adding up all stats wouldn't work) and have some exclusive effects to them. The other mentioned items (everything elemental) at least all follows the same pattern, so it would be easy to design and add the new item.
    (0)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast