Hybrid View

Character
    Nufius
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 41

New to Final Fantasy 11 (Ragnarok)

Hello Ragnarok, i recently started playing Final Fantasy and im lvl 19 Monk and i havnt really made "friends" with anyone quite yet. I was lookin for assistance in getting/completing the Sub Job quest. If anyone can help me please PM me or send a Tell to Nufius. I do tend to play at night or morning but please try and hit me up if your willing to help me out! Thank You
    (0)

same I started in December and i haven't really met anyone yet Though I've been in a few parties back in Gusen Mines.
    My Character is Kodatei
    (0)

Character
    Nufius
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 41
    i wish some one willin to help would reply i really want my sub job.. lol Kodatei needs one too i think! sooner the better im lvlin my warrior right now so when i do get some help ill be set.
    (0)

Character
    Nufius
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 41
    Hey Kodatei, ive sent a couple tells but i dont think i ever catch you on, but feel free to send a friend request or something. and the link shell i joined up with is super nice if you dont have one. but send me tell or something to Nufius maybe we can play or something.
    (0)

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    You should team up together, she is a 30 thf, even without a sj she can solo her sub items. The skull you can get from a gusgen mine book burn party, just let them know u need the skull if/when it drops, and you'll need to lot on that. The worm and the crab drop off mobs in the dunes. You guys could team up and get the items that you both need. If your not too invested in your characters, consider moving to bismarck and shooting me a tell. When I'm not busy ill be glad to help and show you around. At the least you can create another character for $1 for one month just to see how ytou like it on my server, before givving up on your current character and that server. I know you feel like you invested alot so far, but trust me everything you've done can be replaced very fast with the right kind of know how. In fact, i'm willing to bet if you had to redo things right now, by yourself, you'd get it done faster from just your current experience vs. when you started.
    (0)
    Last edited by Concerned4FFxi; 01-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard
    The reason I keep coming back to XI as opposed to other MMOs is because of the content's lastability. While it is true that many pieces are outdated with each patch, to this day there are many old pieces of gear that are still near top-tier if not the top-tier. It encourages you to explore the whole breadth of content rather than asking you to bumrush and bypass all the old content just so you can grind the newer content. This is a model used by other MMOs such as WoW, and while I don't have anything against people that enjoy this model, if I wanted to play an MMO with that model there are many, many games vast superior to XI in terms of mechanics and especially customer service that offer such a model.

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned4FFxi View Post
    Buy a mog sack for 9,999gil

Learn to macro in gear/spells/job abilities etc.

Make friends, but dont ask the same ones repeatedly for help spread the wealth around

Try to do things at least once or twice on your own first, if its a quest and you need help do everything you can do first solo, before asking for help. People will help more often if your prepared, use wiki to get the info you need about what you want, and have the key items ready from when you solo. Example is the nation rank quests. I love to help people, I hate to have my time wasted. I come to help someone and they don't have all their key items ready before a fight that they need my help on pisses me off. That's why you need to solo what you can, people are understandable if you didnt get a key item or drop that you can't solo but nobody wants to wait around for you to either get the cs you need still before the fight or ask a million questions because you don't have wiki access. Use the pulblic library if need be and print out your lists in advance.

Read wiki about level cap quests (after 50 you will need to do these quests every 5 levels to break the next cap) and prepare for them.

Look into the goobie bag quests, your "fame", and mog locker.

There's also many areas you need access to first, before you can explore them: shadowreign areas from wings of the goddess add-on, abyssea, sea, sky, aht urhgan whitegate from treasures of aht urhgan

First priority should be leveling your character and sub job(s) to cap, currently 95. This will enable you to do many more things easier than at lower levels and open the door for other things to you.

Gear: I recommend not spending much gil on gear, untill you hit cap (currently 95). Get yourself a decent weapon for whatever level you currently are at, and that's it. there are a few rings and such that may benefit you earlier, but as a new player your more likely to buy the wrong one and waste your hard fought gil, so just suffer for the time being or buy cheap gear that fits a purpose. Check other players, talk to people, see what is good for that job at higher levels. The goal is not to buy for today, buy for tomorrow because xp is fast in this game now and gear gets outdated even faster before you hit cap. Once you hit 75, start a magian trail for a weapon that you are interested in doing. Again, ask around to see what is worth it some weapons are junk while others outshine. It may be a little to early to ask yourself this, but consider an empyrean weapon or just build something to get you thru until you are established then you can start your empyrean weapon (explained more below). Once you hit 78, you will have access to perle, teal, and aurore gear sets. These are cheap and decent gear. You can buy off AH or from npc in abyssea with cruor (abyssea currency).
    You can then start working on your empyrean armor (af3) post 78, or sooner if the oppurtunity arises.
    You can do artifact armor and weapon(af1), starting at 40 for most jobs, but because xp is so fast these gear peices are often outdated and not worth time investment. However, talk with decent higher level players, some af1 is still great macro peices. for certain jobs and can not be replaced. Once you have 78+, start trying dynamis in your spare time. There you will get ancient currency that can be bazaared for gil and relic armor (af2). Relic armor is mostly for your macro sets, but each peice and job are different. Like af1, some is outdated while other peices are impossible to replace.

XP: Ok, at low levels (10-29) the best places for experience points is alliance style fights in gusgen tunnels (level cap 10-20) or crawler's nest (no clue on the best cap there i've had all my jobs past 30 a long time and burn in abyssea). There are many zones that offer the same xp, the trick is finding a zone that has alot of level sync'd people and a field of valor or grounds of valor book. The trick is to get a page from the book and spam the mobs listed there to get the extra xp called "book buring". Just try those two zones first, turn your party flag on, and shout for a party or ask the leader of a group if you can join.

Abyssea XP: First, unless somebody knows you or pities you, odds are your not going to be leeching in abyssea unless you have a 70-75+ dd (damage dealer) job or magic damage dealing job, a whm with cure 4+ (42), or a rdm 55+ (cure 4) or similarly leveled sch with cure4 (not sure when they get their cure4). Or without a few hundred thiousand gil to pay someone to let you leech their party. To leech a abyssea party generally you need meet one of three requirements: 1. you are of job and level as stated above, 2. you have cruor so you can "key", this means you will be opening chests for the party in exchange for leeching rights. You need cruor to buy the keys though, and so its a catch 22, as you need already have been to abyssea long enough to get cruor or have a 75+ job to do voidwatch to get cruor from there, 3. start you own abyssea party and leech your own party. I DO NOT recommend or like new players that host abyssea xp pt's, the reason is most new players do not understand enough of the pt makeup and lights in order to host a successful party. I suggest that during your first abyssea party that you do not host you ask questions and learn about abyssea so later on you can host your own party. Keep in mind people rememeber lamers in this game and a bad party can ruin you fast in the eyes of other players. That said, abyssea is the best place for xp, period. Perhaps, as was suggested earlier, leveling whm for your first job would be most beneficial to you. You can leech to cap asap in abyssea at 42 with cure 4, and as explained latter you can get more invites for empyrean armor +1/2 farming and empyrean weapon items.

Abyssea empyrean armor/proc: Ok, this is the other reason people are in abyssea, the gear. First, you need understand about proc (process weakness). Since abyssea, SE has used proc in other area as well, so keep in mind dynamis now has proc, as does voidwatch (VW). For abyssea, there are three proc, blue, red, and yellow. Wiki explains the difference, but what yuou need to know is if a party does process a Notorious Monster's weakness, then the drop rate is increased for the corrisponding weakness. What that means is, most people dont just go kill notorious monsters (nm), they go to proc the nm first, then kill it. In the case of +1 armor items, four different +1 drop from the same nm. Becaue of this, most +1 parties are made up of no more than 4 people, because each persopn rather lot a single +1 and have the party agree beforehand that that +1 is theirs. Four people, four different +1, get it. Now to proc +1/+2 drops, magic weakness must be triggered. this can be done with any sub job nin, a whm, a blm, a blu, and a sub job bard. While rdm and sch can proc yellow for magic weakness, they lack the spells that whm and blm have and so they are not as often invited. Add the cure power of a whm and its easier to understand why whm is suggested as your first job to cap.

Abyssea empyrean weapons: not gonna be long here. Point is they take alot of time and work to get, but are attenable for the average player with a just a few friends that are dedicated to results. Once you been around the block a few times you'll know how to proc weakness and you will have a better idea if empyrean weapons are your thing. You will prefer to have a thf, war, nin, whm at the least, and most likely add a blm to your unit. Larger groups use other jobs such as cor with empyrean gun to cap amber fast and brew speed kill, or a blu to solo burn chests/te/etc. Some nin's can straight solo some hnm in abyssea with the right atma/gear, I personally dual box mine so many combo's work but i listed the pt size for farming empyrean weapons as about 3-5/6 on average to give you an idea of the amount of people you will need. Note, these 3-5/6 would have good atma and experience to be successful at low manning but once you get the hang of things you'll do fine. Read wiki about atma.

Try these websites
    ffxiah.com
    gamerescape.com
    http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
    www.ffxi-atlas.com/
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/

Moghouse: There's a few quests related to furniture which will increase your mog safe storage to 80, also you can purchase furnature to put in your mogsafe that gives you access to mogstorage (again 80 cap and only available in your home nation) For mog storage I suggest when you can afford one get a
    Panetiere. Also, look into moglocker and if you've been on for a few months and are gonna stay grab a mogsachel from the mogtoken ($9.99, mine has lasted me a few years now).

Travel: This one is big. 1. Start doing supply quests to get yourself outpost (op) access from the npc in your home nation. 2. Depending on supekupor power, teleport moogles maybe available for transport to the cities and selbina/mhuara. 3. Get all the telepoint crystals and recall crystals. 4. Get access to all the abyssea maws asap, even if you can't get a party (pt) just visit them to uinlock the maw and cutscene (cs) associated with each of the 9 abyssea zones so that you may warp to them. 5. Chocobo license, 6. once you attain 75+ speak to the voidwatch npc's in the 3 cities and get you key items to do those events. Even if you don't do VW, you can at the least use the npc's in the cities and other locations to teleport you to certain areas of the game. Theres other travel, but this is the main stuff and fastest.

Keep track of stuff: at the least, write down what boss and caturea nm clears you have from abyssea, and what op's you have if you can't remember. For abyssea you are gonna want these clears and all merit, furtherance, lunar, sojourn, and celerity abyssites asap. Ask around about atma and what ones are best for which jobs.

Gil: once you are using abyssea regularly you can convert cruor by buying chocobo blinkers (see wiki) or the three gear sets (perle teal etc) and selling this to npc's in vanadiel. Mind you that eventually you will need cruor to buy brew in abyssea but this will get you past the hump. You can also farm dynamis once you get the hang of things.

Hope this helps, goodluck and don't be discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    Basic advice:

1. If you haven't done it yet, there is a tutorial NPC in each nation designed for newer players. You'll get some nice rewards from it designed for newer players.
    2. Remember to always get Signet from a gate guard before you head out to kill stuff. Save items you get and sell them on the auction houses. If you wish to increase your Signet duration, you're going to need to run missions for your nation.
    3. Look for Fields/Grounds of Valor books, they will increase the xp you gain significantly, and provide gil and tabs. Tabs can be used for some useful bonuses on the battlefield.
    3. Gaining levels quickly: These days most people go to Gusgen Mines at level 10 and join the alliances there. They continuously do the skeleton grounds of valor. At level 30 many people go to Crawler's Nest.
    4. At level 18, you can unlock a subjob. I'd recommend the Elder Memories quest in Selbina to obtain it. You'll get the Magicked Skull for it while leveling in Gusgen Mines, and the Worm and Apron can be obtained solo safely when you're about level 25. You can ask for help too, of course. Keep your subjob leveled.
    5. At level 30, you open up more jobs, but they all require running a quest to obtain.
    6. As said above, Mog Sack can make managing your inventory out on the field a lot easier. If you want to make your inventory bigger (this will more or less be required as you get into higher levels), you need to build reputation in Jeuno. You can look it up on the wiki if you want detailed info. The quests to expand your bag are called The Gobbiebag.
    Skill ups- this is another important thing, try to cap your skill on your main weapon asap. The more skill you hjave, the more damage you can do to higher level mobs. If you skill is around 120 and your level 95, you are basically like a level 95 job stat wise, but hitting like a level 35, so though you may be 95 that level 65 crab m,ight eat you for breakfast so watch out. Inquire about skill with other players, here's some quick info though and read the wiki and ask questions:
    skill level 30-80 quifim island, grab a page and start busting on worms, when your skill ups slow down, hit up the crabs, if your low level avoid fighting at night time as the undead come out and agro blood (read up on the types of aggresiveness mobs have and read about hate and enmity) and especially near the lake in the center at night.

If you can get access, east ronfaure (s) 80-120 on birds, 120-140 on lady bugs, if not try east altepa desert.

Here's some areas I've outlined for you to fight stuff there at the following weapon skill level, not to be confused by job level. Remember this is for skill ups, though you may or may not get xp.

140-160, kuftal tunel
    160-190 rabbits and lizzy in cape terrigan 190-210 on crabs there, and 210-230 cockatrice, mantacore there can get you as high as 270ish, but I'd stop at around 250-260 then finish skilling 250-300 in an abyssea la theine/konschtat highlands/tahrongi canyon.
    300+, try bird camp in misareaux coast (a) or any party up to and including including dom ops (dominion ops) at this point.
    350+, definitly need dominion ops in the heros of abyssea zones, its like fields of valor (fov) or grounds of valor (gov) for abyssea.

Side not about xp, get the emperorer band from your nation's signet npc, do not waste conquest points on emperess band. Also, if you drop any xp band such as these, don't worry, you can renew it once a conquest tally or trrade it to recharge it from the same npc, your home nation npc signet giver or a jueno signet giver

Conquest tally- is every earth week, and the count down is displayed in the menu.
    menu>region info>conquest>it's on the upper right hand corner of your world map, should say "next conquest tally in X days."
    Foods- there are many type food available, to start you might want to, once you can spare a little gil, and you start to skill up your jobs more, buy crab sushi by the stack(12) for about 4-5k a stack from the AH (auction house under: Food » Meals » seafood), this gives about +10accuracy (acc), if you are going to skill up and your confident that you will not die, buy a marinara pizza (auction house under: Food » Meals » Breads & Rice) this is the best acc and attack food for the price. Later on, when you are closer to your weapon skill cap and want to do more damage, buy cheap attack foods such as Meat Mithkabob ( Food » Meals » Meat & Eggs). Eventually you can buy better, more expensive attack food, eventually.

Rank- Each nation has up to rank 10 mission, the higher the mission the longer signet lasts, and the more access you get to some things such as dynamis. (need be on mission 6+ to access dynamis) Also, each mission rewards you with some gil, more for the higher missions. Check wiki, some can be skipped by trading crystals to the signet npc in your home nation/jueno) and most expect the early ones can only be flagged (flagged- term used to denote availablity of a quest) after trading a certain amount of crystals to the signet npc (check wiki, each mission requires a specific amount).

COP (chains of promathia)
    - Once you get your 90+ job and 49+ sub job leveled, skilled, and somewhat geared, or sooner, check out the wiki and look at COP. This quest line will reward you with one of the, if not the best, dd ring in the game, the rajas ring and sea access after 8-1. While tamas ring (you may only get one or the other or the long forgotten tanking ring, not worth it personally) was useful at one point, this author feels that this ring, tamas, can be replaced by alternative gear. While the replacements won't be as good as tamas, nothing gets the job done for a dd like rajas, and SE has stated that rajas will get a 99 level facelift, so expect this ring to once again come out on top.

WOTG (wings of the goddess) starting the first questgives shadowreign access (past). a note to you, when you go through a maw in the past always come back through to the present immediately, this will unlock the maw on both sides for you. If you fail to do so and die, you are not gonna be able to access the past again unless you have access somewhere else via another maw you opened in the past or going thru the gates in garlaige citadel which is a SOB. In other words, your first maw is the only time you can go thru the present to the past without going thru the past first, after that ALL maws in the present become locked and you HAVE to go thru the maws in the past individually to access to unlock them for use in the present. completion of the WOTG missions and quests (it's confusing at first, you need do both nation quests and missions to progress) grants some items (depends on which nation you choose to be allied with in the past, you can do all three eventually) and a moonshade earring with varrying augments on it, some are either latent refresh (mp restores 1mp/tic with weapon not drawn) or latent regain (tp restores at 1tp/tic with weapon drawn), as well as several others.

ZM (zilart missions or rise of the zilart) grants sky access and if you do DM (divine might) instead of mission zm14, you can get a decent earring. Pull up DM and see for yourself. the suppanomimi earring is a good one.

Quest- Apoc nigh - need have completed all ZM and COP as well as Bv1 (bahahumat, i botched the spelling I think, first fight) and another quest to gain access to this final fight and it's earring rewards. Ethereal earring is a decent pick.

there's also the add on's and there respective gear for completetion, type ASA, ACP, and AMK for the list of missions and goto the end to see the gear with it's augments you may choose. Again, the COP ring is probably the best item, but other add-ons are still decent, depends on the time you wish to invest in these rewards. There's a few add-ons I left out, mythic ws from nyzul isle, and the TOAU quests, mercanary rank, assualts, salvage, einherjar, limbus, and more. Interested? Check em out.
    White mage is probly your best bet if you want to get into an abyssea pt w/o a veteran's help or a 75+ job. The spells are somewhat cheap compared to other mage jobs and you dont have to process weakness as much in a empyrean amor pt, plus you only need a few spells to start out for xp. You can do this at around 41/42 when White mage gets cure 4(attempt abyssea leeching without knowing someone). Granted not everyone will let you in but some leaders won't mind so long as you can cure 4 from time to time. Remember to read ahead about your 50+ caps and quests, and purchase cure 5 before you can use it, because if your in abyssea and level you and your party will want you to have that.

Beastman seals, Kindred Crests, High kindred crests, and kindred crests: when I first started playing, I tossed about 50 of these away because I was running out of storage space quick and nobody offered to explain to me what they did, or what they were worth. These are used from various things like level break quests to certain battles called BCNM, KCNM, etc, basically, head to port jueno and trade all of these seals that you have to the npc there named shami. He will store all of them for you, and you many retrieve any number of the storaged ones back from him at any time in the future by speaking with him. Also, he will convert them into different orbs which are then used at certain burning circles to enter these battlefields which drop a variety of decent gear, spells, and Auctionable Loot.

Field of Valor “Elite Training” NM: Now adays, this is worthless because the new cap has outdated it, and SE has yet to adjust or fix this system. But, when I joined it took me awhile, again because nobody would help me, to figure out what this was. You may purchase with your tabs (that you earn by completing FOV or GOV pages) these key items, you then go to a specific ??? In certain zones and trade gear, gil, or beastman seals in exchange for gil or augmented items. I don’t suggest using this now, because gear gets outdated so fast and you cant sell augmented gear to other people and have to either drop it or accept the shity rates the npc’s will pay to buy it off you. But, FYI, you trade the item to the ??? And you lose the key item and it pops a NM that you fight and upon winning drops a chest with the reward in it.

If in the future they make it so that the rewards are always positive (currently you can get some pretty crappy augments that are permeant) like the abyssea augmented gear in chests and gear from dominion op notes/trophies, and the ability to erase the augment if you don’t like it like you can with SKY augmented synergy gear, than yea, totally worth doing but as of Dec 20, 2011, don’t bother with this but it’s a little game trivia for you to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    This is pretty much the right part, so don't worry about that.

The order of achievement inside Abyssea should be like this:
    1. Necessary Atma/Abyssites
    2. +1 gear
    3. Other Atma/Abyssites
    4. +2 gear and miscellaneous items (gear and weapons)
    5. Empyrean weapons

I've seen too many people come to Abyssea and wanting Empyrean weapons and +2 gear, and that kind of thinking is wrong. You will need some prerequisites to be able to do the other things realiably, unless you have a group you can leech stuff off. So let me go a bit into depth with the aforementioned points, and keep this in mind: if you do it right, it's very easy.

The "necessary" Atma/Abyssites are the ones you'll need for +1 farming. If MNK is your only job (is it?), you'll probably only need RR. RR and GH are a good combination for you at this point. For this, you'll need two Lunar Abyssites. One you can buy with 100k cruor (which I assume you have from lvling MNK to 95?), another you get from defeating a zone boss. Easiest to farm and kill are probably Bennu or Resheph, however you can just go to Abyssea - La Theine, Tahrongi, Misareaux or Attohwa and see if anyone is fighting the respective zone boss in there. People will often let you leech the win.

The sad part is, this is what you can't effectively do on your own. You will need some kind of help with those Atma and Abyssites (or zone boss wins). If you have a LS or some friends to help you, great, if not you'll probably have to read up on it and shout to find other people who need them. However, while all of that can easily be duod by skilled and equipped people, it can be quite difficult for a party of Abyssea newbies, so this will be the hardest step.

So mobs you'll want to kill for Atma and Abyssites include Sobek and Ironclad Pulverizer (both in Abyssea - Misareaux), as well as Mictlantecuhtli, Warbler and Xibalba (the latter two being dangerous for inexperienced groups) for their merit Abyssites. Also, you should buy all Abyssites you can with cruor, as well as the quested ones (although this may take a decent amount of time, it should only be done for the important ones for now, merit, furtherance, celerity and sojourn).

Next is the +1 seal farming. With this basic set you should be able to DD efficiently enough to be the primary DD for seal parties. That means, you'll only need a WHM and a BLM (and possibly a THF) to make an efficient seal party. These you can usually get by shouting for people who need seals off the same mobs you do. As an example, for MNK head seals you'd go to wiki and search for "Tantra Seal: Head". You'll see a list of mobs that drop it. You just pick the easiest one of them (in this probably case Berstuk, since Amun is a timed spawn and Gaizkin can be kinda nasty on unsuspecting people). You usually find that out from reading testimonials on the wiki talk page.

Let's stick with Berstuk for now. You see that it also drops THF, NIN and DNC seals, so you shout for people who have a WHM or BLM and need those seals. Then your party is set. You usually do that until you have all seals for everyone in the party or until people have to leave. Once you've done that, you can repeat that step for the other pieces, until you have a full +1 set.

+1 sets are usually a good start for any job, most can be upgraded in plenty of ways with other gear and macro in situational gear, but once you have all +1 pieces, you can be considered a decent DD for Abyssean purposes. That's the point at which you'll want to get other Atma and Abyssites that you'll be missing. You should focus on merit and furtherance Abyssites. Once you get some of these, you may wanna start getting other zone boss kills. Seven zone bosses means you'll get to equip a third Atma. I'm not really sure about MNK choices, but other Atma that spring to mind are Sanguine Scythe (off Bukhis) and Voracious Violet (off Eccentric Eve).

At this point, you'll also want to skill other weapons, namely Club and Staff. Most people will expect MNK to have both Club and Scythe skilled up to 230~250, for their WSNM weapon skills (Retribution and Black Halo in this case). This will also help with acquiring further Abyssea gear (since gear drops often depend on the blue stagger).

At this point, there isn't really any order, and you can approach the rest of Abyssea in a similar fashion. Mostly with small groups, either friends or shouted. You can start working on +2 gear, slowly work towards Shinryu access as well as pursuing some harder to get items (Epona's Ring springs to mind, not sure if Zelus Tiara is worth it for MNK, but you get what I mean).

Once you're decently decked out, you can start pursuing empyrean weapons, although that will require some teamwork (people to hold key items for you and help you kill harder NMs). Once you're at this point you'll have Abyssea all figured out anyway, so there's not much else to say here. In general, it's pretty much all the same: check out what you want, what's required for it, and work your way towards it. As long as you don't try to jump too far ahead, you'll have no problems getting stuff done. Only the beginning can be a bit rough, but once you have your basic Atma and Abyssites working for you, you'll be able to get the rest a lot easier.
    Here’s some info about the controls, a response to a forum question, hope it’s helpful

Quote Originally Posted by RAIST View Post
    Do they no longer send a manual with the game? Even as a DLC, are they not providing a PDF? If not....here's a few online guides to help you get aquainted I guess...

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Command_Menu

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/wiki/Cate...AFFXI_Commands
    (0)
    The reason I keep coming back to XI as opposed to other MMOs is because of the content's lastability. While it is true that many pieces are outdated with each patch, to this day there are many old pieces of gear that are still near top-tier if not the top-tier. It encourages you to explore the whole breadth of content rather than asking you to bumrush and bypass all the old content just so you can grind the newer content. This is a model used by other MMOs such as WoW, and while I don't have anything against people that enjoy this model, if I wanted to play an MMO with that model there are many, many games vast superior to XI in terms of mechanics and especially customer service that offer such a model.

Character
    Amaday
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    More quotes from forums, this one about mnk and bb (blackbelt), taking from a forum about a new player who wanted to know about gearing his 50ish level mnk, the forum link is

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    WARNING: the following is more of a series of long term plans that just so happen to be fairly easy to get done despite looking hard once you are up there in levels.

Skillup your staff club and h2h when you're a decently high job level. get dmg one weapons from events if you can. you can still get a dmg1 club from the Christmas event right now i believe. There are fortilaces in castle Z in the wotg zones . you can engage with a dmg 1 weapon and afk there attacking it for hours while asleep ro whatever to skillup staff and club(and a little h2h but h2h hits harder) so long as you stand in a spot where you wont get aggro. By having these skilled up you can "proc" "blue" during abyssea blunt times for better drops. The fortilaces skill you up to somewhere between lv 70 and 80 skill caps.It's high enough to get the rest done on your own just via playing so its "good enough"

Full aurore is generally the sign of a complete noob so i'd avoid wearing it. Get your brown belt quested, save up your kindred seals because SE made your black belt near impossible to get.
    The following is some tp gear suggestions.
    Buy some fuma kyahan since 3% haste is better than the 2% on aurore feet.
    Get a brisk mask since you presumably cant get a walmart turban. it drops off glaviod which you're going to want dead for abyssea boss kills anyway and can be easily done if you manage to find competent friends.
    Neck is gonna be a rancor collar once you can afford it. Ziel charm should cover you for neck and you can go duo it with a whm while proccing blue for a decent shot at it. If you've done cop by this point as you should since it's easy as hell now you can also try for a faith torque.
    Thew bomblet is cheap and you can buy or kill the NM for it.
    Work on limbus kills for beastcoins to buy a brutal if you dont wish to buy them with gil. Bcnm drops raised in price by huge amounts so you could sell off utsu ni for a mil or whatever for your gil to buy AH items. kill omega for the atma you can get in abyssea which can tide you over until you have apoc atma.
    Body options are a bit hard for you to obtain off the bat I suppose so I guess you can slum it with pink aurore body. It beats most of the old options anyway. Provided you got your atma Loki's kaftan should be semi easy to kill the NM for and will destroy aurore body. Ok.. it's probably harder at lower levels but provided you have a competent whm, those blue procs i told you about before and enough patience you can just kill the NM over again until it drops via duo.
    Aurore hands are tolerable until you have better gear with more haste.
    ring 1 should be rajas. seriously just stomp COP and get it.I'll let you figure out ring2 to use for now until you obtain an epona's ring from rani.
    Best back is altheling for now but get a good DD back until then.Belt is duh and hope you get lucky on ks99.
    Legs can be b haidate since its really easy to kills/farm now but you can get tantra legs now too. levels make a ton fo difference. if you have a ls by then you can drag 2~3 people(assuming competence which si a rare commodity) and just kill the gods within seconds. http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Synergy is some motivation to give them for coming if nothing else. You can also take advantage of the synergy augments to old sky/kings gear so unlock it for yourself too.

Work on your nyzul isle climbing because ascetics fury is your best bet inside abyssea where you will spend alot of time until you get victory smite. While on that note work on your empy weapon asap unless you plan to solo in dynamis for relic knuckles. It's still faster to do vereth imo so I personally think you should just do that then you can work on relic knuckles if you're bored or like dynamis.If nothing else it'll be a source of gil to you if you get the hand of solo/lowmanning in there. There are various other h2h that can tide you over until then. Oh right don't forget to flag voidwatch stone collection. It sucks and is horrible because it went back to SE's old methods of 1% drop rates combined with people whom already got the drop getting the drop over and over again while not being able to even give it to anyone else. You're going to hate it and tbh if you aren't using it for the drops to sell mnk can luckily unlike everyone else generally ignore it as far as having an amazing drop you want but cant get goes. It's an easy source of cruor so you can at least use it for that.

Oh and dont forget your empy+2 gear for mnk since itll destroy most of the other stuff for tp.

There's also(physical damage taken) pdt and (magical damage taken)mdt gear. in short you wear pdt gear when not punching or when something hits REALLY hard and you dont want to die before being cured. mdt gear is for when you're gonna be hit with something magical.If you get enough of it you can actually cap haste while meleeing in mdt gear vs something that spams alot of magic damge on you. the caps are 50% in damage taken. shell V is 25~26% ish mdt mdt which means you only need about 24% to get the maximum reduction in damage. That leaves more room for DD gear.
    I disagree with his comment on aurore gear, I say wear it as a noob its good gear, but it is true that it is the sign of a noob, but screw what others think, this isn’t high school. That said, he had some great points to make so I ioncluded his knowledge and others to my list

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...ime-Party-Spot

Aurore gear is fine for leveling until you get your af3+1 or better, the fact is you are a noob now, returning player or not. Your gil status and gear status is that of a noob, and while you shouldnt play like a noob you should definitly conserve your gil and spend it wisely, hence not wasting it on gear that will be replaced soon and using the perle, teal, and aurore at 78. For the amount of money it costs to buy, the amount of money you get back when you sell it, and for the level and it's easy availablity to all new players and those who dont have decent gear or gil, THERE IS NONE BETTER at 78, period. It's not like your going to jump into a great gear set at that level without investing time or resources, so this is the best option and gives you more time to do things you need at the 78+ bench mark, like xp and do missions. Screw what people think, your not gonna be stuck wearing it forever. Why would you waste your gil on something that your going to replace soon anyway, dont spend your gil on gear that is going to get replaced in 5-10 levels.

Just get a decent weapon for every ten or so levels, until you hit 95. Like I said, consider the magian trials as soon as you hit 75 and work on one of those. Work on your af3+1/2, af2+1/2, see what cheap gear is on the AH for jobs 95+. That is were you want to spend money on gear, 95+, not on gear under 95, unless that gear is still useful/affordable alternative at 95+.

As for bb, its going to costs about 4.5-5.5m gil on my server to purchase all three items from mercanaries (1.5m for behemoth tongue, and 1.5-2m each for the other two items, 2m is reasonable, this is an idea how much you should be paying, at least on my server so don't pay too much more on yours, and dont trade gil first until item drops and make sure you can trust the people doing the bcnm for you to buy the rae/ex from). So yes, that's in your future once you start npc'ing cruor from abyssea, no your not going to jump into gear better than aurore right off the bat without a sponser. I've been playing for years and I have under 1000 kindred crests, so doing the bcnm and thinking you are going to get your bb that way is complete bull, now that kindred seals are useally replaced by kindred crests and high kindred crests. Back in the day, you'd have over 1000 kindred seals from xp pt, today you'll have over a 1000 kindred crests instead from your xp pt. It's just the way things work.
    Also, you dont need to listen to people complaining about you not gettinmg fast xp, they just want you to do it the old way like they did. I say get the xp fast. You can always go back and skill up solo, duo, trio, whatever and learn your job better and cap your skills as you earn merit points for your job/stats/and other things.

Fact is, at 70 you are gonna have to stop xping and cap skills anyway if you want to beat maat, so you can take this break from xp to skill up while you farm your testimony, besides, when you can't get an xp pt there's the time to solo and skill up. Once you are able to level in abyssea you will cap your skills there.

HOWEVER, DO NOT go xp with people and be extremely under cap. This is what the previuos poster was speaking of, that's one reason they said not to burn your job. In other words, don't offer your services to an xp pt or a af3 seal farm if your level is 95, but your weapon skill level is that of a 75. This is unacceptable. What I did is I burnt a job to 20 levels or whatever, then I go and I skill up solo till I'm close to cap, or at a reasaonable skill level and understanding of my job so I can contribute to a higher level xp pt. Then, and only then, do I join xp pts at or around my level and offer that job.

The fear some players have is you will be a noob who doesn't know how to play your job correctly, I suggest that you read the wiki, especially the section pertaining to you job. In it there are a few player written guides on the specific job you want to play, read them, use the techniques discussed. Most are outdated now, but it's a good start for understanding one's job. Don't worry, after years of play I still learn various tweaks to my jobs, all 20 of them. It's never too late to learn something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Except it's all perfectly possible for a noob to do. The main obstacle was that he'she didn't know the option existed in the first place. Lets say that npcing all the misc items+ weapons from dom ops gave about 200k cruor. It's probably alot more but eh. that's 500k in gil when used with blinkers right off the bat before getting into all the gil earned via npcing dom ops weapons and misc npcables from the parties and the pop items to sell.
    But lets just say 500k for now. The kyahan cost about 70k on ah. Then get resold at lv 72 for sune ate. Net loss of 5~6k that beats noob aurore and doesn't make other players tremble in fear.

Brisk mask= free if you have friends or just ask one of the people killing and/or shouting to buy pops in pj if you can tag along. It is 1 level higher than the "much vaunted" aurore beret and for the simple effort involved in asking nicely we have a net GAIN of gil due to the cruor dropped when the NM dies + a lunar abyssite. Walmart is 20 imp gold coins which translates to max 160k which is less gil than would be made from simply leveling and npcing items before even beating maat if she really wanted to have something to wear pre brisk .

Thew bomblet 20k or free if just killed directly. Let's go with bought i guess.

Ziel charm= free and gives acc when skills are far behind until it's time to buy a rancor after saving up. Those were suggested to get some practive but we have spectacles for 20k in AH. Faith torque probably wont drop but the instant you're at lv 80 with capped skills/decent gear with a mage helper the entire battle becomes laughable. in addition it's still very good depending on h2h skill/gear so as far as current gear stands it's not outdated.
    My goodness if no cruor was npced from the glaviod we've lost 45k so far. Truly we're going to become broke soon.
    Earrings can be some coral since newb. Brutal is on the todo list because it never geats beaten for tp still but can be farmed via soloing limbus while free over time.

Body. Aurore actually is decent here bravo. buy it for 20k. Turul isn't that hard to kill and having proper atma onyl makes it easier so we have a free option here too. Drop rate sucks but isn't ultra horrid presuming there was proper skilling up done.

so far that's 65k
    Hands put us at 75k since they're actually good until empy+1

sniper's ring are 10~25k in ah. There are other similar options but im too lazy to look em up atm. Rajas will be easy to zerg for eventually but counting both snipers @25k that's 125k out of 500k so far. The other suggestion aka eponas was something to aim for because it would be remiss to tell a person what to get without telling them what the stuff that's actually the best option is. Especially since this is the type of item a newbie would actually overlook the most.

Forager's mantle is 10k in AH,

135k so far.

Belt. I suggested going out and camping. it's 400k in Ah for reference

legs.
    B haidate. NOT HARD. 2 people helping. kill some monsters for diorite while getting bonus skillups. Have your freinds kill despot. Then usea silent oil and kill byakko. Since SE made sky mobs drop multiple pops now we might have 2x byakko. Byakko lasts about 2 minutes when I fought it last and only because perfect dodge existed. make scraps from the seals for synergy or if not going the synergy route just scrap it anyway and sell the parts. Make the abjurations into tatters as well. There's not much reason why a newbie wouldn't want to see some missions done so a little time aside to work on zilart missions isn't unreasonable.

less than a day's worth of effort and you're swimming in noob dollars.

End result. 135k spent on all of that minimum wage gear without making people(that don't suck) afraid to pt with you from all the aurore. nearly 400k is left making brown belt easily buyable with a tiny smidge of effort
    You actually earn more gil than that doing regular missions for rank 10. I dont see any reason to tell a person to purposely suck when they can easily wear something alot better easily.
    Then there's the bcnm loot. Utsu ni is 1.3 mil and drops fast. There's PLENTY of gil to be found for even new players. There should be some basic guides lying about the forums for newbies. And please remember haste> all gearwise for tping until you hit 25~26% aka the gear cap on haste
    great post, but completing cop in of itself is going to take days. I like your plan, i think it will help others, but at some point a new player, mnk in this case, is going to be wearing pink theres no way around it, while he/she does cop, while they gather the pt for glavoid or camp the ???, while they are xping, and hope they can get an invite for the clear off some empyrean weapon poeple's kill. You have detailed a great plan for a new mnk's future, ill use this post you have there as a reference for future players leveling monks, I still say he/she is going to be wearing mostly pink for awhile until they complete your steps.

PS: i edited down my tone and I apoligize, I read your post incorrectly the first time, sorry. Also, I apreciate you offering the alternative, and I'm sure any new mnk here does too. I just cant see new players going into sea or sky and farming it successfully as easily as an experienced player would, that's why I suggest aurore gear. Most new players want to xp to cap first, then go back and do storylines and missions, sky, cop, etc. So while they are xping to cap, they will be wearing the abyssea aurore gear, etc. It's a logical first step of many baby steps.
    HAPPY HUNTING ^;^
    (0)

Character
    Unctgtg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Also get in touch with me or contact Grommet ingame (tell him I sent you) He has one of the best Linkshells (for newer people) and have all kinds of events. Sorry I didn't see this before.
    (0)
    99 Drk, 99 Sch, 99 Bst, 99 Geo and a ton of other jobs there
    110 +5 Bonecraft
    Level 99 Relic Scythe

9. 02-22-2012 09:11 AM

Character
    Izilude
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 16
    Nufius and Kodatei, I was planning on sending you guys a tell, if you wouldn't mind
    My installation finished last night... I haven't played in a while either, so I'm not very far along.
    Anyway, ign is Haidyn. I'm in Bastok, atm.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast