Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

Useful BLU spell sets and sub job combos

The Farmer
    BLU/NIN (for soloing limbus or other big things)
    Heavy Strike
    Sudden Lunge
    Amorphic spikes
    barbed crescent
    Fantod
    animating wail
    Aruoral Drape
    Wind breath
    cimicine discharge
    Mind Blast
    Charged Whisker
    Acrid Stream
    Magic Fruit
    Ancitic burst
    battery charge
    Winds of Promy
    Dream Flower
    Everyones Grudge

Traits:
    Fast Cast
    Dual wield* (not needed, obtained through utility spells)
    Treasure Hunter
    Double attack
    Store TP.

* the dual wield trait is gained through setting these spells, however it is only T1 and the NIN sub job traits will take priority since their of a higher tier

with this build, you play like an old school ninja; the paralyze slow, accuracy down and blind effects make you pretty much make you invincible when paired with the OP'ness of Sudden lunge and Utsusemi spells. minimal evasion bonus gear can be used in this build, as the delay between monsters attacks is so large that you rarely have to opperate outside of utsusemi: Ni and with the added bonus of treasure Hunter

Death Wish
    BLU/WAR
    1-Demoralizing Roar
    2-Acrid stream
    3-Mortal Ray
    4-Whirl of Rage
    5-Fantod
    6-Blazing Bound
    7-Frentic Rip
    8-Goblin Rush
    9-Vanity Dive
    10-Amorphic Spikes
    11-Occultation
    12-Animating Wail
    13-Sudden Lunge
    14-Heavy Strike
    15-Quadradic Continuim
    16-Empty Thrash
    17-Benthic Typhoon
    18-Delta thrust
    19-Barbed Crescent
    20-Final Sting
    Points 59/60

Traits Gained:
    Dualwield III
    Tripple Attack
    Zanshin
    Accuracy Bonus
    Store TP
    Skillchain Bonus
    Prevalent stat totals: +6 STR +15 Dex

this build is only intended for those who have a trusty sidekick who can keep them alive and refreshed. the sheer ammount of TP gain and DOT this combination puts out is astounding. you have access to both Double attack and tripple attack, not to mention dualwield, haste capped gear, accuracy bonus for those who cant hit :P, and not to mention zanshin for those who still miss after accuracy bonus lol. your only line of defense is occultation. you cant even refresh yourself with this build. an alternative is to drop your Goblin rush spell, or Whirl of rage/final for Battery charge

The Healer
    BLU/SCH
    1- Winds of Promy
    2-Penilune Embrace
    3-Magic Fruit
    4-Battery Charge
    5-White Wind
    traits: none mentionable

the remaining 15 slots are for the user to decide, i personaly aim for nothing but mind, at 150 Mind and 27% CPT, my fruits do 673HP which translates into 9.35/HP-MP, making magic fruit the most MP efficient Single target heal in the game (not counting drg or dnc healing) and white wind can heal for crazy ammounts if you gear for it properly (obi/cape, and Windstorm)

LOLBST (aka Dynamis Farmer)
    BLU/DNC
    1- everyones grudge
    2-dream flower
    3-MP drainkiss
    4-Magic fruit
    5-Battery charge
    6-Winds of Promy
    7-Ancitic burst
    8-acrid stream
    9-charged whisker
    10-occultation
    11-auroral drape
    12-animating wail
    13-amorphic spikes
    14-heavy strike
    15-barbed crescent
    16-sudden lunge
    17-awful eye
    18-poison breath
    traits gained:
    Clear mind
    Double attack
    Treasure Hunter
    auto-refresh

this is the setup i find that works best for soloing in dynamis. i can solo 200-250 coins np in dreamworld dynamis zones. i nicknamed it lolbst, because they always get so angry at anyone who even considers farming dynamis. i swear they think they own the zones lol >_>.

anyone else got some nifty combos they use? id love to see them
    (2)

Character
    Tashan
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    This is a cool idea, I do wish I could think of something to contribute.
    (0)

Reduce or get rid of the penalty incurred after setting blue magic spells.
    The concept is that you acquire blue magic spells via learning and then you can change battle strategies by picking and choosing spells within the blue magic spell points and set limitations. If you were able to change spells freely, the whole battle strategy aspect would be lost, so we have no plans to remove/reduce the penalty.

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Few revisions to your sets, and a couple of my own.

Solo
    BLU/NIN

Delta Thrust
    Heavy Strike
    Sudden Lunge
    Amorphic Spikes
    Barbed Crescent

Animating Wail
    Battery Charge
    Cocoon
    Occultation
    Magic Fruit
    Winds of Promyvion

Auroral Drape
    Filamented Hold
    Actinic Burst

Fantod
    Empty Thrash
    Charged Whisker
    Everyone's Grudge
    Screwdriver

Traits:
    Store TP
    Double Attack
    Auto Refresh
    Evasion Bonus
    Treasure Hunter

Provides all necessary traits for efficient kill speed and defense, all necessary buffs, four debuffs, a heal, and an abundant number of physical spells. No paralyze spell is not a big loss, and the switch to a more effective slow spell is more efficient. Exchanging Fast Cast for Evasion Bonus is an acceptable tradeoff as well. Removing Double Attack or Store TP in exchange for MP Drainkiss or Magic Hammer is also an option if you expect MP problems.

Defensive DD
    BLU/NIN

Benthic Typhoon
    Delta Thrust
    Heavy Strike
    Sudden Lunge
    Quadrastrike
    Amorphic Spikes

Animating Wail
    Battery Charge
    Cocoon
    Occultation
    Magic Fruit
    Winds of Promyvion

Uppercut
    Battle Dance
    Empty Thrash
    Fantod
    Actinic Burst

Traits:
    Store TP
    Double Attack
    Auto Refresh
    Attack Bonus
    Skillchain Bonus

Allows for a somewhat defensive playstyle while still retaining the ability to DD. Leaves 5 open set points for an Abyssea proc spell or any optional utility spell you may wish to set.

All-out DD
    BLU/WAR

Quad. Continuum
    Delta Thrust
    Heavy Strike
    Sudden Lunge
    Amorphic Spikes
    Barbed Crescent

Animating Wail
    Battery Charge
    Cocoon
    Occultation
    Magic Fruit
    Winds of Promyvion

Empty Thrash
    Acrid Stream
    Demoralizing Roar
    Fantod
    Blazing Bound
    Mortal Ray
    Actinic Burst

Traits:
    Store TP
    Triple Attack
    Auto Refresh
    Dual Wield III

Provides the platform for BLU's most capable overall damage dealing setup. Contains all of the relevant job traits to go along with /WAR's already robust set of traits and abilities. Zanshin and Accuracy Bonus are absent as Zanshin does not work while dual wielding, and accuracy is almost never enough of an issue to be worth set points. This build also provides limited defensive value and an acceptable number of powerful physical spells.

Voidwatch Tank
    BLU/PLD

Benthic Typhoon
    Delta Thrust
    Heavy Strike
    Sudden Lunge
    Quadrastrike
    Amorphic Spikes

Animating Wail
    Battery Charge
    Cocoon
    Occultation
    Orcish Counterstance
    Magic Barrier
    Magic Fruit
    Actinic Burst

Magnetite Cloud
    Ice Break
    Asuran Claws
    Fantod
    Empty Thrash

Traits:
    Store TP
    Double Attack
    Skillchain Bonus
    Magic Defense Bonus
    Counter

Provides maximum defensive ability while retaining some offensive ability. Most of your enmity will be generated through your sword rather than spells, however you have Flash, Actinic Burst, and Fantod to rely on if you cannot use your sword or your sword is insufficient for whatever reason. Since most Voidwatch NMs do not favor blink tanking, your best bet really is /PLD using a shield. While you lose significant offensive ability, you gain defensive ability and, less importantly though still nice, access to Shield Bash. This role and build should only be used if you're experienced and have acceptable defensive gearsets.

Voidwatch Melee
    BLU/WAR

Heavy Strike
    Empty Thrash
    Acrid Stream
    Demoralizing Roar
    Quad. Continuum
    Delta Thrust
    Barbed Crescent
    Blazing Bound
    Mortal Ray
    Animating Wail
    Sudden Lunge
    Fantod

Traits:
    Store TP
    Triple Attack
    Dual Wield III

Provides all necessary traits and leaves enough spell slots open to allow for somewhat flexible procs. This is your most effective build for 90% of all Voidwatch NMs.

Voidwatch Magic
    BLU/RDM

Regurgitation
    Dark Orb
    Everyone's Grudge
    Firespit
    Thermal Pulse
    Charged Whisker

Chaotic Eye
    Zephyr Mantle

Choose one to three magic spells based on your target and its resistances, and this is all you need. The rest of your slots may be filled with proc spells and utility spells such as Magic Fruit.
    (2)

Character
    Defiledsickness
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    how come for VW tank you dont set phalanx?
    (0)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Because Barrier Tusk is absolute shit.
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Prothscar View Post
    Voidwatch Magic
    BLU/RDM

Regurgitation
    Dark Orb
    Everyone's Grudge
    Firespit
    Thermal Pulse
    Charged Whisker

Chaotic Eye
    Zephyr Mantle

Choose one to three magic spells based on your target and its resistances, and this is all you need. The rest of your slots may be filled with proc spells and utility spells such as Magic Fruit.
    Is this the way to go for Charged whiskerga in abyssea too? And is there any gear that's specifically useful as well? I'm only 63 so far and I'm levelling it up pretty much solo while farming the spells, but I have the chance to get gear every now and again, so anything I should aim for would be good to know.
    (0)

Character
    Annahya
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Is this the way to go for Charged whiskerga in abyssea too? And is there any gear that's specifically useful as well? I'm only 63 so far and I'm levelling it up pretty much solo while farming the spells, but I have the chance to get gear every now and again, so anything I should aim for would be good to know.
    For a Charged Whisker burn, I would definately sub RDM for the Magic Attack Bonus that it provides, as well as some of the spells that it affords you for your buff cycle (Stoneskin - allowing you to skip it in spell selection, Aquaveil, Protect/Shell, etc.)

Also, with the right atma (Ultimate, Beyond, Lion, Blinding Horn, Minikin Monstrosity, depending on what you can put together), and the speed of your pulling, you really only need a handful of spells as you will be dispatching your foes quite handily. This gives you the ability, for instance, to set a good number of spells to maximize your Dexterity bonus for Charged Whisker.

This is the set I use for CW burning. Keep in mind, had I the gil I would tweak some of the pieces to maximize the damage; such as replacing the Mavi Kavuk with Ocelomeh (NQ or +1). Unfortunately my in-game wealth keeps me in cheaper, yet functional, attire.

With this set, I am able to take care of most prey in one Charged Whisker, or a Charged Whisker followed by a Thunderbolt (or Thermal Pulse if Unbridled Learning is down, with the only swap being to a Vulcan Staff).

I am sure that some of the more hardcore BLU around here, such as Proth, Tashan or Night, may have some additional advice for both of us - but there is my advice for someone who is just getting into (or is preparing ahead of time for) a Charged Whisker set-up.

~Anna
    (1)
    Last edited by Annahya; 01-09-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    "Play the way you want and have a good time - but understand that your performance can have an effect on the fun of others. Be effective for those counting on you, and never lose sight of the fact that enjoyment for yourself and others is the ultimate goal."

Character
    Defiledsickness
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    how does our phalanx work? it's -15% DT that goes over the normal caps, but it doesnt simply add with gear? so if we have -50% pdt in gear it wont add up to -65%? it will take -50% dmg then -15% after that?

i dont want to buy darksteel+2 and without doing math i figured -15% damage sounded good (mostly for magic dmg). and it's easy to cast if you're not tanking. i should probably just spend more money on my pdt gear.
    (0)

Character
    Prothescar
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    You aren't accounting for the 6 second casting time and 60 second duration which kills its utility.

As for Whisker Burning:

Complete Guide
    (2)

Character
    Defiledsickness
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    i never noticed the casting time was so long i'll have to check it out again (i think i have a fast cast set for it, not sure what the lowest time would be). i do agree that it (and cocoon) are annoying to keep up 100% but i like the option w/ magic barrier. just to make sure i dont get one shotted if i dont switch to a mdb set in time.

for CW i can just use my eva set, nice. Eva+20 sword is VERY easy to get, can pretty much do everything in Wajaom Woodlands fyi (and wind weather does exist unlike fire).
    (0)