Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Was thinking I'd love a SCH-only item (ring? earring? ranged? whatever, a secondary slot though) that doubles Accession range, similar to what happens with Harp instruments for BRD or Luzarf Ring for COR
    (1)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I wonder if it would be possible to have 'Stratagem Bound' gear. The trade offs of Stratagems being that you have to spend Extra time to prep spells can be a killer when Cures are needed. I'd love a piece that would auto Rapture (at the cost of an available strategem) when casting Cure X. You need Fast 50% more potent Cures, you equip it. you don't want to burn stratagems quickly, unequip it. Square loves that sort of situational use gear.
    (2)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Einalem View Post
    I wonder if it would be possible to have 'Stratagem Bound' gear.
    I could see a line of gear for this, but they'd need an extra stat on them and they'd have to be in a slot that wouldn't mess up the Scholar too badly for having the gear there. I'm thinking a ring. Personally I think these should be all jobs but the stratagem charge bit should only work if your job combination allows it. Additionally each of these should have a hidden trait of "Conserve Stratagem" that gives something a 2% chance of preventing stratagems from being consumed upon usage.

Frugal Ring
    Conserve MP +5
    Stratagem Charge: Penury/Parsimony

Quick Ring
    Occ. quickens spellcasting +2%
    Stratagem Charge: Celerity/Alacrity

Area Ring
    Increases Range of Area Magic
    Stratagem Charge: Accession/Manifestation

Potent Ring
    MND+5 INT+5
    Stratagem Charge: Rapture/Ebullience

Focus Ring
    Magic Accuracy +4
    Stratagem Charge: Altruism/Focalization

Stable Ring
    Enmity -4
    Stratagem Charge: Tranquility/Equanimity

Perpetual Ring
    Enhancing Magic +5
    Stratagem Charge: Perpetuance

Inherent Ring
    Enhances "Skillchain Bonus" effect
    Stratagem Charge: Immanence
    (0)
    Last edited by Economizer; 02-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Player
    And my suggestions were inventory killers.

Quick Ring
    Occ. quickens spellcasting +2%
    Stratagem Charge: Celerity/Alacrity
    Stop right there, why would you stick a stat that makes Celerity/Alacrity worthless with something that automatically applies those Stratagems? Honestly, the introduction of Occ. quickens spellcasting is one of the reasons I'll very rarely ever use those Stratagems ever again. It's far to annoying when you plan on using them and quickens spellcasting kicks in and still uses up the Stratagem, or did they finally fix that? Been complaining about it since the introduction of our Empyrean set.

Anyway, on the subject of "Stratagem Bound", isn't that effectively what I suggested?
    Stratagem +1 causes your Stratagem to last for an extra spell cast and it's one piece of gear. I played it as a Relic Grimoire originally, so there was room for it to be improved to Stratagem +2 or even Stratagem +3. Use it before using your Stratagem and it lasts for an extra 1 to 3 spells, probably increasing the duration of the Stratagem too since that will be an issue if your Stratagems are lasting for 4 spell casts.
    Also, shameless re-promotion of my Gemini idea which is effectively the exact same thing as a job ability, though rather than using it then a Stratagem, the status effect granted by it is used up instead of your Stratagems, so it's something that can affect multiple Stratagems at a time, mainly useful for buffing and Immanence nuking.

I dare use the B word, but it does seem a bit unbalanced for Scholar, which is a job that is balanced by having job ability delay, to suddenly have gear that out right removes that. My suggestion you still have to use Stratagems, they just last longer, what I'm getting from your suggestion is you slap a ring on and automatically get that Stratagem assuming you have spare charges. Aside from sounding unbalanced, it also sounds impossible. Having rings that give +2% Conserve Stratagem is completely workable, but I don't see how gear is going to force a job ability to be in effect and even if I did, I don't see SE being able to work that out (though I don't see them working simple matters out like extending the range on Libra, so maybe my opinion is a bit biased).
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
    And my suggestions were inventory killers.
    I am quite aware of this. There is little I can do based on the suggestion.

Stop right there, why would you stick a stat that makes Celerity/Alacrity worthless with something that automatically applies those Stratagems?
    I know right? When inside Abyssea it procs about half the time I use a Celerity a Raise III.

Personally I think Quick Magic should prevent Celerity/Alacrity from being used up on cast but who knows. Anyways the alternative stat was Fast Cast but I was trying to balance this with other gear. If It has Fast Cast +2% the price would be likely to shoot up very high, especially if non-Scholars could wear these like I suggested.

Anyway, on the subject of "Stratagem Bound", isn't that effectively what I suggested?
    Go to the person who suggested the idea, I'm just playing off of them. That said this is different from your suggestion, yours could coexist with this in a way. Both are very tactical which is why I feel they work for Scholar.

I dare use the B word, but it does seem a bit unbalanced for Scholar, which is a job that is balanced by having job ability delay, to suddenly have gear that out right removes that.
    The balance concerns are definitely coming with the new Healing Magic changes.

I don't know for sure that this would be purely unbalanced because of Inventory -1. But even if it is a few of the rings would still be implemented with less concern of this being an issue, for example a Altruism/Focalization ring or a Immanence ring wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue compared to some of the others. Personally I think the biggest balance issue would be for lowman fights were this would allow kiting most efficiently.

Yeah, I'm not sure this gear would even be possible. I won't discount the possibility that this is just a bad idea but I think it should be considered as a good one as well. Part of the considerations is where we want Scholar and /SCH to be as a job.
    (0)

Character
    Einalem
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Holy $#*^ You guys implied an awesome ability.
    Going on about Quick Cast.... Make it Stratagems instead of Spells
    Conserve Stratagems.

NOW on to the O'Rielley Factor section:
    Stratagem +1 Versus Stratagem Bound. The difference is point of cast. Your suggestion would make a stratagem last until a second spell domain of same type is cast. Mine auto applies it at resolution making the down time to apply the charge non-existent in exchange for immediately reducing a stratagem count. Your Idea conserves Stratagems, mine Forces stratagem use for quick gains.

Time to prep Stratagems is not the balancing point of Scholars, but the proof of the balancing point balance to Scholars; That balance point being JA activation. Try being a SCH with Amnesia. The next counter point to this is, naturally, status removal items. THAT balancing point is inventory space, which brings us back to situational use gear...
    (0)

Character
    Psxpert
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    scholars just need equipment to boost their MP as far as my opinion goes. Give them books to learn new magic and/or something to learn how to turn Raise i, ii, iii or iv into "Raise-ga". I thought Sch were smart! :P
    (0)
    "With the POWER of Taru...!"

@@@~'~~~;SYLPH WORLD;~~~,~@@@

Player
    Elemental subligars. I will accept no debate.

(0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3