Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Merils
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Its not that difficult... take ur 12.95 X 500k suscribers (6mil 475k) for one month... and MOVE THE DAMN SERVER! EASY ! DONE!
    (0)

Character
    Merils
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    oh .. and with that 6 mil per month OFFER PS2 USERS a HARDDRIVE UPGRADE !!!!!
    (0)

Character
    Obese
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Meril View Post
    Its not that difficult... take ur 12.95 X 500k suscribers (6mil 475k) for one month... and MOVE THE DAMN SERVER! EASY ! DONE!
    would prefer SE to donate that money to Japan victims rather than build your server for you.
    (0)

Character
    Merils
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I would prefer that also, but t wasnt offered as an option.
    (0)

Character
    Qtipus
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 95
    Yes, physically pick up the servers, move them elsewhere (which will likely involve moving them across a huge body of water somewhere), set up some internet service that can handle the upload necessary (which usually takes upwards of 2-4 weeks to implement completely), rewrite your software to point to the new location, then pray it all works.

Sunshine is a wonderful thing y'know.
    (0)

Character
    Naturebeckles
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Runespider View Post
    So FFXI and FFXIV will be down for an unknown length of time, could be a week, could be a month, could be a lot longer.

I do understand the situation in Japan and I also understand that the situation didn't really effect Square directly that much as a company and the server downtime is more because of the power stations asking big companies to conserve power(correct me if i'm wrong). Understandable, but shouldn't a company the size of Square have some kind of plan being worked out to bring the servers back up asap? (maybe moving them to a different location to get around this or something?).

Would Blizzard let the game be down for an unknown amount of time if this happend, would any of the big TV stations? This maybe just a game but SE is a games company and that's pretty much all they are. Their entire work force exists to make and run games so it's a big deal for them. Something like this is a godsend to your competitors in the MMO field, ie Rift and WoW.

The reason I say this is because I assume long downtime will do damage to the games userbase, downtime on addictive games like MMOs that require a monthly payment and want to keep as many players on board as possible is a bad thing. What if a large number of your subscribers go off and try other MMOs and get hooked on those or if they lose the yearning to carry on with the games, I've had breaks from many games in the past and wholely lost intrest when I had the opportunity to go back.

FFXI is currently in an upsurge and I would hate for that to slide away. If this is a week then that's one thing but if there is a chance it could be extended and go on for a long time I hope there are plans to get around it and get the game back up asap.

Since FFXIV has been run for free for 6-7 months which is being done at a vast loss of money I can assume money can also be spent on something like this, which is far more important to both games and the bottom line of SE as a company long term.

This post is not being mean, it's not trolling it's being realistic.
    I agree with you and that's why I asked my IT friend some questions yesterday when he and his wife were at my house. One of two reasons why SE is telling us a week: Either they're trying to keep us quiet and happy, or they already have a disaster plan in place and are currently working on a migration so they can have everything up and running in a week (or maybe a few days longer at the worst). My friend works for a multi-billion dollar company in Arizona and they have a disaster contingency plan that he's a part of. So, that's what I'm thinking is going on. One thing is don't underestimate the Japanese. They are very smart people and I don't think from a business standpoint, they're standing around in their executive offices helpless to the power situation.
    (0)
    Level 99 jobs: THF, WAR, SAM, SMN, WHM. Haste is overrated. Ok. Not really. But that's what you all think I believe anyway.

Character
    Miera
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 96
    Honestly I am glad they shut down the servers, they should have done so sooner to reserve power for more important things such as hospitals and such, but I guess they wanted to keep them up for a little for people to communicate with eachother about the unfortunate turn of events.

I could care less if it takes a week or two for the servers to be up. Could you imagine if they kept them up like you wanted them to and cause the whole servers to get destroyed from all this crap going on? Could you imagine having to start over to the very beginning? {Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.} I'm fine with a week of no FFXI, I got other things I can be doing anyway.
    (0)
    You've been trolled! You've been trolled you have probably been told, "don't reply to this guy, he is just getting a rise out of you," yes its true you respond and that's his cue to start trouble on the double while he strokes his manly stubble. You've been trolled you've been trolled you should probably just fold when the only winning move is not to play! And yet you keep on trying mindlessly replying, you've been trolled, you've been trolled, have a nice day!

Character
    Crystalweapon
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 96
    The bottom line is this disaster is effecting all of japan, the nation isn't all that huge of a landmass and the fact that several reactors are on the verge of and or have had partial meltdowns means that large areas are experiencing power shortages.

Yes McDonalds didn't shut down due to 9/11 but it's not a matter of insensitivity. They're not shutting down because of people's feelings, they're shutting down because they have to. It's a matter of conserving power for the facilities that absolutely need it i.e. hospitals and such.

I'm sure you would like them to keep running but the fact is there are no contingencies to run from outside of Japan and what's done is done, deal with it. Complaining now isn't going to do anything about it, grin and bare it and just be glad that you weren't affected by it.

Emotions are bound to get high on a subject like this, so yes you run the risk of getting attacked for comments that show a tad insensitivity to the whole situation. As far as calling everyone rednecks, I live about 2 hours southeast of New Orleans, I have a degree in Computer Science as well as Mathmatics. < Where you live has nothing to do with your intelligence level, it's ok to defend yourself but being stereotypical while trying to push a point that you shouldn't argue with insults won't get you anywheres.
    (1)

Character
    Merils
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    6+ MIL in 1 moth is even more wonderful
    (0)

Character
    Darrka
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 90
    AGAIN

Travelling requires some kind of energy
    Energy is being regulated by the GOVERNMENT
    Government > SE
    (0)
    Last edited by Yuyukosai; 03-15-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Dear SE, can my character be black? I find this pro-white to be offensive.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast