Thread: Magian staves

Character
    Varrout
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Magian staves

After having a quick skim through the forums I couldn't find anything of this sort, so I thought I would post away.

I'm sure many other mages have found it annoying having to cart around at least 8 different staves they've quested for magian (or the NQ/HQ elemental staves, let's focus on magian).
    After someone has finished going through the trials to get 8 of the same type of new staves, why not let them merge them into one, via quest or some other form. I'm not sure. Examples:

Say I've quested all the avatar staves. Let me condense them down into one staff that has:
    -7 Avatar perpetuation cost
    -12 Blood Pact ability delay

Or if someone has quested all the magic damage affinity staves. Let them condense them into one staff with:
    Magic Accuracy +1
    Magic Damage +6
    Casting time -14%

If we've already gone through the trials of questing them all, why not reward us a little more?
    (1)

this idea has been brought up several times over the last few months actually in various sections in multiple forums. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to get much traction and they fall off to the back pages. My guess is SE is resisting it for fear of the final result overshadowing other staves that have the same concept behind them already (Nirvana and such). Those are far better Skinner Box material, and lets face it....keeping people grinding towards a lofty goal seems to be SE's modus operandi these days.
    (1)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Varrout
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Ah, thanks Raist. This doesn't surprise me one bit.
    I see your point with the Mythic staves, and they are pretty awesome. But there is a different amount of "lots of effort and time" put into these staves. Although it may not be as much as the Mythic, it's still a fair amount.
    One can only hope.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIST View Post
    Those are far better Skinner Box material
    Then SE wouldn't have given out the extra effect on healing magic on the AF3 hat for White Mage (or spells and methods that come close to mimicking the effect). Back at 75 cap, the Bahamut Staff was much like a Nirvana Staff -1 in terms of perp... Speaking of which, they could just make it a magian trial... Bahamut Staff +1 - Deposit 8 different fully upgraded Avatar Perp Staves to complete. It still costs a lot of time and effort compared to a Nirvana, while being worse, and will be considerably worse at SMN melee due to the much lower damage rating.
    (0)

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Varout View Post
    After having a quick skim through the forums I couldn't find anything of this sort, so I thought I would post away.

I'm sure many other mages have found it annoying having to cart around at least 8 different staves they've quested for magian (or the NQ/HQ elemental staves, let's focus on magian).
    After someone has finished going through the trials to get 8 of the same type of new staves, why not let them merge them into one, via quest or some other form. I'm not sure. Examples:

Say I've quested all the avatar staves. Let me condense them down into one staff that has:
    -7 Avatar perpetuation cost
    -12 Blood Pact ability delay

Or if someone has quested all the magic damage affinity staves. Let them condense them into one staff with:
    Magic Accuracy +1
    Magic Damage +6
    Casting time -14%

If we've already gone through the trials of questing them all, why not reward us a little more?
    Such a staff would be far too potent. I do see possibilities for merging the MACC/MAD versions into one staff, although it probably would come as 8 VW crafting recipes resulting in NQ (+3/+3) and HQ (+4/+4) with a HQ2 (+5/+5, glowing) dropped by the VWNM, with the VWNMs being superpowered avatars. (Magian staves would be stronger still, but these staves would be the continuation of the original elemental staves.)
    (0)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"