Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    Player
    I'm turning off my FFXI account for the foreseeable future.

The long and short of it is that a recently released MMORPG made me realize just how inferior the service we get here is.

The core of this game is designed to be inconvenient and the development team has made little to no progress in terms of keeping up with quality of life updates to keep the game appealing.

This is a game I cannot just pick up and play, and that makes it an inferior product.

I thought I'd have more to say, but the simple truth of the matter is that FFXI is a bad game on pretty much every level and it took a good MMORPG coming along for me to realize that.
    (6)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
    I'm turning off my FFXI account for the foreseeable future.

The long and short of it is that a recently released MMORPG made me realize just how inferior the service we get here is.

The core of this game is designed to be inconvenient and the development team has made little to no progress in terms of keeping up with quality of life updates to keep the game appealing.

This is a game I cannot just pick up and play, and that makes it an inferior product.

I thought I'd have more to say, but the simple truth of the matter is that FFXI is a bad game on pretty much every level and it took a good MMORPG coming along for me to realize that.
    It's generally primitive and adheres to outdated methods of maintaining player interest because of developer philosophy, lack of creativity, lack of resources, and lack of forethought. FFXI has evolved in many ways, but not in all of the ways that matter. I don't blame you a bit for jumping ship. I wish you well!
    (5)

Player
    The main issue is that SE doesn't seem willing or able to maintain this game at least until Seekers of Adoulin launches. Content releases are sparse, uninspired and simple adjustments in SE speak are things at least 1-2 years down the road. Really the only reason I tend to logon anymore is for friends and even that excuse is beginning to narrow.

I've wanted to see what Salvage 2 has to offer but again SE seems to be plotting a release in 2013. It's sad really how halfassed they've been handling XI.
    (9)
    Last edited by Sparthos; 09-16-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Sparthosx - Lakshmi - 90 BLU BRD SAM COR RNG DNC PUP BST WAR WHM
    Sig by Kingfury

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparthos View Post
    Really the only reason I tend to logon anymore is for friends and even that excuse is beginning to narrow.
    This sounds like me, and I completely agree.
    (2)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    I.... am at a loss for words that Nintendo is the reason FFXI has become "casual friendly".
    As others have pointed, it is not a direct cause but pretty much social trend. Both Wii and WoW plus the gazilions facebook games and mobile games pretty much a catalyst of the big changes in gaming landscape. The popular trend is now all about casual gaming, creating games that is easy and fun to play, and yet strangely addictive. Not to say that hardcore is dead since plenty of games are still hardcore to the bone, ex: Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Tactics Ogre, Starcraft, etc... But overall the floodgate to the untapped casual market has been wide opened with the Wii and WoW - hence the shift with FFXI, and the big fat failure of FF14, gotta evolve if they want to survive.

Also if you look at the recent FF games, all of them are embracing the casual aspects. Personally it is great that FFXI is becoming more casual friendly, gaming should be a fun activities and not "achievement" by grinding and wasting tons of hours farming and camping - but to each is their own. I am not saying that FFXI should clone WoW but they certainly can take inspiration from many other Japanese games like Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Final Fantasy Tactics, Persona, Tactics Ogre and Phantasy Star Online which are addictive, fun, and still able to maintain the hardcore aspect of the game without watering it down so much.
    (3)
    Last edited by Luvbunny; 09-16-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I'm a person of the era of the coin operated games, where you would go into the arcade toss a coin at the machine, play the game then go on with your life. Back then the games were created in a way you would have to put several coins on the machine to achieve the final goal, the ending. You could either toss all your money at the machine or play it slowly and learn the game until you could finish it with a single coin. Both methods would benefit the arcade operator as either way you would end pouring a lot of coins on the game machine.

A MMORPG of the old era is built around the same concept so that's where FFXI is so grindy. They fixed it so the game is more friendly but it killed several aspects of the game play.

I would quit this game, but then I'd miss my friends (Including you, Camiie) lol. I'm staying. And I think bashing SE about the game being stagnant won't help much at all... -_-;

At least they're trying.
    (0)

Character
    Zerichtwo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by oliveira View Post
    At least they're trying.
    i don't know how anyone playing this game can say that without getting a nose-bleed, laughing hysterically, or puking.

just take a look at the proposed 2-hours and their reasons for defending them.
    (1)

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticleg View Post
    just take a look at the proposed 2-hours and their reasons for defending them.
    They could keep things as they were months ago, just taking our money in and having nothing like this forum for us to talk about how they do not care about us. They are trying. Something ... :P
    (0)

Player
    Trying doesn't mean a darn thing to consumers. Without results people will continue to go elsewhere.
    (4)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by oliveira View Post
    I would quit this game, but then I'd miss my friends (Including you, Camiie) lol.
    Awww, I'd miss you too Mari! I'm pretty much with you and others in saying that it's friends that keep me playing. While I do still have goals, they're few and far between these days. Design decisions and a seemingly lagging playerbase have served to severely limit what I feel I can accomplish. I won't go into detail here so as not to hijack the thread, but I feel like I'm kinda stuck with nowhere to go. That's not a very fun feeling. It seems that so much more effort is placed on making things we can't do as opposed to making things we can.
    (1)

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 LastLast