Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    So uh... anyone know how many steaks you can get out of behemoth?
    (0)
    Guarding 207 - Goldsmithing 30 - Cooking 30 - Smithing 30

Maybe it's time to stop killing mandy's...

Character
    Jager
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 90
    He's one tough steak.

One... tough... piece of meat.
    (0)
    "I find bliss in ignorance. Less I hear the less you'll say. But you'll find that out anyway."
    - Linkin Park (Dedicated to all the trolls and flamers out there)

Character
    Ruvion
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I got really lucky with the beard and egg, since back in the day everyone always did the wyrm ks99 and the turtle was nice to me to go 1/2. I camped behemoth for over a month and the NQ NEVER dropped the tongue, even with th4. Everytime the king was due there was maintenance resetting him. It was an experience that reminded me why I hated camping HNMs so dam much lol. Finally got lucky and got my tongue from a friend's ls when the King did pop.
    (0)

Player
    Perhaps the quality of the tongue is the problem. Let's take a look at the description: This giant tongue of the behemoth is covered with hundreds of tiny lumps. This can lead to several problems. The NQ behemoth tongues for sure have tongues. However, the following could be the problem.

1) They might not be described as giant
    2) They might not be be covered with lumps
    3) The number of lumps may be too great or too few
    4) The size of the lumps may be too large or too small

Hence, while the NQ behemoths may have tongues of a wide variety, the King Behemoths seem to have a uniform tongue size and quality.
    (0)

Player
    Similar arguments can be made for the beard and egg.

For the beard, the description is as follows: This beard of the legendary wyrm is actually an overgrown scale taken from under its chin.

It's fairly obvious that Fafnir is a wyrm, is legen-wait for it-dary, and has a chin. However, the quality of the scale itself could be the problem. Unlike the Behemoth tongues, there appears to only be one defining characteristic that affects the quality of the scales under the wyrms' chins. That is the fact that the dragon beard is an overgrown scale. Specifically, the overgrown scale must be taken from underneath a wyrm's chin.

Perhaps for different Fafnirs, the scales under their chins are primarily not overgrown. Wyrms do not appear to have beard-like features in their models, which could prove the rarity of such an overgrown scale forming there. The overgrown scale itself could be a defect of some sorts, which further proves its rarity. Therefore, wyrms that drop beards could be a subspecies of these wyrms in general. Furthermore, the Nidhoggs appear to be a more mature and stronger version of these wyrms.

-------

For the egg, the description is as follows: The tiny egg of an adamantoise. Due to the traces of metal found in their shells, these eggs are often mistaken for chunks of ore.

There is no doubt that there are traces of metal found in the shell of an Adamantoise, as adaman ore always is found upon killing an Adamantoise. Therefore, the only defining characteristic of the Adamatoise Egg is that it is tiny.

Adamantoise are fairly large. It would make sense that they would produce large eggs. However, the NPC seems to only accept tiny eggs. Therefore, such an abnormally tiny egg would make sense to be so rare from such a large reptile. Similar to Fafnir and Nidhogg, the Aspidochelone appears to be a subspecies of the Adamantoise. Only a small population is able to produce the rarity of the tiny egg.

An alternate theory is that all eggs from these beasts are tiny. However, only the females are able to produce the eggs. The rarity of the egg could stem from a disparity between the gender populations of these animals. It is not uncommon where one species of animal produces a skewed gender distribution. It is also not uncommon where one gender of the species is larger or stronger than the other species. In the case of these overgrown turtles, the males appear to be the more dominant gender; however, the females are more powerful, albeit more rare.

A side note for the previous argument is that the females can only produce the egg. However, the males could be the ones who carry the egg around. This characteristic is present in several animal species including seahorses. In the event of this situation, the gender distribution and characteristics would merely be reversed, where the males are more rare, but more powerful.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2